Has your bike ever left you stranded?

Yes, mine left me stranded for 3 hours. Called wife to bring trailer to load up. I pulled in a store to get soft drink. I slightly noticed a young boy pass by the busa going back to their car and he moved real quick as he passed by my bike while I waited at checkout to pay for soft drink. Didn't think anything of it as he had passed by it real quick. Didn't look like he touched anything. I NEVER use my red cut off switch. Guess what?? He hit the red cut off as he passed by knowing exactly what he was doing, PUNK!! When I realized what had happened, I was so embarrassed:( as to not check that red switch . I never use it and never, not once ever hit it accidently!! So you never know, men when some person may hit that switch by accident or on purpose, man I was hot both ways, pissed :redface:and sweating. It was 98 degrees :shocked:at 80 percent humidity. I never forgot to check the red switch if at any time it wouldn't crank!!
We all have different riding habits. That’s the only way I shutdown my bikes..... flipping that switch and then I turn the ignition off.

I've had my Busa for 4 years now and ride it most weekends, I've covered 40,000kms on the ol' girl!
Never has it mechanically let me down, once, shortly after I'd bought the bike, I came out of my friend's place I was visiting, and the battery was flat, I had to push start it by myself, my friend has emphysema so couldn't help at all. Man those Busas are heavy and hard to start by pushing, but after a few attempts and a lot of sweat and cursing she started and I made it home ok. Bought a new battery the next day.
I've had two flat rear tyres (punctures) and the first was a brand new Michelin I'd just fitted at work, on my way home got a nail in the tyre and ended up riding all the way home on the flat tyre, 20 miles, ruined the tyre, $240 down the drain !
Second one I was riding with my mate 40 miles from home, had to leave the Busa at a Gas station and go pillion with him on his GSXR, most terrifying experience in a looooooong time!
Picked up my car and trailer and went back and picked up my bike. Took ages. But that's motorcycling . . . when you have a good day, nothing beats it, but when you have a bad day . . .
Kiwi, this goes with everywhere and has saved me a lot of sweat and aggravation a couple of times.

3E4CA2B1-D8EC-45C0-9221-C69775C37BFC.jpeg

DC0760C8-A446-456F-8A67-566554B684EB.jpeg

Yes, mine left me stranded for 3 hours. Called wife to bring trailer to load up. I pulled in a store to get soft drink. I slightly noticed a young boy pass by the busa going back to their car and he moved real quick as he passed by my bike while I waited at checkout to pay for soft drink. Didn't think anything of it as he had passed by it real quick. Didn't look like he touched anything. I NEVER use my red cut off switch. Guess what?? He hit the red cut off as he passed by knowing exactly what he was doing, PUNK!! When I realized what had happened, I was so embarrassed:( as to not check that red switch . I never use it and never, not once ever hit it accidently!! So you never know, men when some person may hit that switch by accident or on purpose, man I was hot both ways, pissed :redface:and sweating. It was 98 degrees :shocked:at 80 percent humidity. I never forgot to check the red switch if at any time it wouldn't crank!!

That sucks, same thing happened to a buddy of mine, I stopped by to see if he wanted to go for a ride and he was really angry and pacing because his bike wouldn't start....

I asked if I could try and he said sure, the first thing I did was hit the red switch and the bike fired right up...apparently he never uses it either and one of his kids moved it....

We went for a ride and he sang praises of me for weeks....it got kind of uncomfortable to be honest....

My old GS1150ES stranded me one time. I was in Port Coquitalm BC (Canada) for an endurance race at the now defunct Westwood Motorsports park. On my way home I realized it was not charging at all and rapidly tried to make a run for home on what she had left. Got about to the border and realized that was futile, so I paid a gas station guy to let me charge the battery for a while and then set off back to the states as fast as possible. Made it almost back to Bellingham before it totally puked and that was at about 10PM. Had to leave it along the freeway until I could rent a U-haul at first opening the following morning and go get it. Turned out to be a rectifier.

I now have AAA on the bike, and I carry an extensive toolkit including a 12v compressor and plugger kit.

My old GS1150ES stranded me one time. I was in Port Coquitalm BC (Canada) for an endurance race at the now defunct Westwood Motorsports park. On my way home I realized it was not charging at all and rapidly tried to make a run for home on what she had left. Got about to the border and realized that was futile, so I paid a gas station guy to let me charge the battery for a while and then set off back to the states as fast as possible. Made it almost back to Bellingham before it totally puked and that was at about 10PM. Had to leave it along the freeway until I could rent a U-haul at first opening the following morning and go get it. Turned out to be a rectifier.

I now have AAA on the bike, and I carry an extensive toolkit including a 12v compressor and plugger kit.
Would probably sleep with it in the woods, before leaving it on the side of the road overnight. Lol!

Reactions: c10

I watched a few races at Westwood...

After a bit of contemplation, I also wanted to add, it is my privilege to be able to own and ride a bike like I have now.

I recall sitting on a brand new '99 at a bike show thinking I'd never own one but would love to.

A career has come and gone, 6 grand kids have been born and now I have one which is still thrilling to me.

After a bit of contemplation, I also wanted to add, it is my privilege to be able to own and ride a bike like I have now.

I recall sitting on a brand new '99 at a bike show thinking I'd never own one but would love to.

A career has come and gone, 6 grand kids have been born and now I have one which is still thrilling to me.
I remember doing the same thing, and thinking how ugly it was. The literbikes were moving towards small, angular, compact design, and here was this big, bulbous, amoeba lookin thing. Purposeful, but ugly. Then I sat on it and felt immediately at home. Rode a couple over the next few years, almost bought a ZX12, and then the right deal came up. Never looked back....

I remember doing the same thing, and thinking how ugly it was. The literbikes were moving towards small, angular, compact design, and here was this big, bulbous, amoeba lookin thing. Purposeful, but ugly. Then I sat on it and felt immediately at home. Rode a couple over the next few years, almost bought a ZX12, and then the right deal came up. Never looked back....

....there was just something about the Hayabusa that drew me to it......at the time it came out I already had two bikes as well as two boys playing competitive hockey which was expensive and time consuming.

That and I was generally deployed 200 days in those days so I had very little time to ride.

When I was searching for the bike I have today, I had a line on a low km ZX14R Limited for quite a bit more than I paid for the Busa-but it was a contender....my mind went back to that bike show in 1999 and that was it, the Busa won.

and here was this big, bulbous, amoeba lookin thing. Purposeful, but ugly. Then I sat on it and felt immediately at home.....

As I think I've said in another post here, I had virtually the same moment: after straddling a host of bikes during the purchase process, including FJR, ZX10, ZX14 - and this monster of a Honda ... ST1300?? - I sat on the Hayabusa, legged it off the stand, and said 'this is the bike; start the paperwork'. Not sure what exactly happened, mentally, emotionally, it's a visceral thing that I still feel every single time I sit on the bike.

Hello, mine left me stranded when i hit a dog, and while waiting the police i had to turn on all 4 blinkers, and drained the battery... By the time they were finished, so was my battery, but i was unaware becouse blinkers were still blinking... Ended up pushing it about 1.5 km to gas station, and some good man, also biker but was driving a car, helped me to push it... There, i hooked it up on cables and it started like nothing ever hapened...

Back