Has your bike ever left you stranded?

Had an incident on my other bike, not my busa.

Some how the exhaust had gotten clogged up, and started choking the engine out. Of course at the time when it was happening, I didn't know exactly was was wrong, only found out when I got home. So I did end up getting closer to home, but the bike was only doing like 15mph max haha!

At about 2 miles away from my house, I decided to just push it the rest of the way. It was definitely a learning experience, and a workout!

After changing the exhaust out, everything worked like normal again. Was just a weird situation! But I suppose that just part of it!

Had an incident on my other bike, not my busa.

Some how the exhaust had gotten clogged up, and started choking the engine out. Of course at the time when it was happening, I didn't know exactly was was wrong, only found out when I got home. So I did end up getting closer to home, but the bike was only doing like 15mph max haha!

At about 2 miles away from my house, I decided to just push it the rest of the way. It was definitely a learning experience, and a workout!

After changing the exhaust out, everything worked like normal again. Was just a weird situation! But I suppose that just part of it!
What clogged the exhaust?

I was close to home giving her a test run when she suddenly died. Turns out a wire to my external fuel pump broke and had to trailer it home. Other time was totally my fault, had a pinched o ring and leaked fuel everywhere, hard lesson learned.
Once With my old turbo setup at 26psi. The boost hit HARD. Then a fuel pump wire came off. Bike shut off so hard I slammed my nuts on the tank hard. I thought I melted it. Of course I had no 4mm wrench to lift the tank. @GIXERHP to the rescue that day

I had one incident on my first Busa, '05 black & red. I was having a little fun, goosed it on the top of a hill and raised the front wheel higher than I intended. Felt like 12 o'clock; I'm sure it wasn't but felt like it. I didn't have a strap on the battery and it must have raised up, tearing off the power wire to the DynoJet. As soon as I took the seat off, it was obvious so I unplugged the controller harness and plugged it back together stock. I wasn't really stranded but it was the only time a Busa has shut off on me.

My first busa I got the chain broke and came over going down the highway one night. That was interesting. I also had a cbr 1000rr that had China levers on it. Went to leave the restaurant one night and the clutch handle broke off when I pulled out of the parking spot.

That’s the only 2 times I have been stuck some where with my bikes. 10 years of riding.

side note. My first bike was a 1997 yzf 750 that didn’t like doing wheelies. The oil light would come on. One day I did too long of a wheelie and ran the motor out of oil. The motor locked up mid wheelie. We managed to break the motor loose and rode home motor knocking like all hell

The Hayabusa, never. My 40 year old CBX, just once when the stator went out in Nevada. Had to truck it back. My 82 CBX low beam went out east of a Cody WY one year on tour but I wasn’t stranded. I’ve also needed a couple tires on tour but found them and was only delayed a day. In 2000 my Suzuki 1400 Intruder blew a fork seal at the OR/ID border on the 2nd day of a 10 day tour. Not stranded though as luckily for me, the dealer in Boise ID actually had them in stock (and) got me fixed before noon on the day I rode in.

Just wanted to pick your brains to see how reliable you consider your bikes and if you worry about getting stranded. In my case, I tend to ride on Florida’s backwoods on my concours14 and the busa, as well as offroad on my DR650. All my bikes have toolkits that I’ve put together and an air compressor. I recently bought a jump starter pack to keep with me as well. Some of my rides are in areas with very little traffic/houses and spotty cell signal, so reliability is something that I think about. On my last solo ride I started looking at all the woods around me and thinking, what if something broke on my bike right here? Could I use my toolkit, a rock and a stick and get myself out of here or? Keep in mind that I have never been stranded on the side of the road, except for 3 or 4 flats while out in the middle of nowhere that I fixed on the spot with the tools I carry with me and a tube failure on the DR650 that I had to limp on to a friend’s house near where I was at, so I’m very happy with my bikes reliability so far, but want to hear about your stories. Do you worry about a breakdown? What’s your Worst experience on the busa? Other bike? Have you left your baby on the side of the road to walk to the nearest town to get help? Some of you guys have been riding as long as I’ve been alive, so looking forward to your stories.
I've had a battery decide to croak when I was on the road once with the Busa. Annoying as heck but not the failure if the Busa perse.

I also had a throttle cable break once on a trip. I learned I could adjust the idle speed up enough to limp it home at like 40 for about 50 miles. Shifting and getting through a city situation was the challenge there.

What clogged the exhaust?

Maybe the cat broke up? I've seen it happen on cars.

You know, what ever it was, was just inside the muffler. The muffler was riveted, so I didn't even bother taking a look. I just took off the muffler when I got home, and it ran fine straight piped. So I just bought a new muffler, and called it a day haha. I still have the old muffler, maybe I need to open it up!

Once With my old turbo setup at 26psi. The boost hit HARD. Then a fuel pump wire came off. Bike shut off so hard I slammed my nuts on the tank hard. I thought I melted it. Of course I had no 4mm wrench to lift the tank. @GIXERHP to the rescue that day
Sheeshe thats some serious boost! Nothing like cracking the nuts on the tank. Guess you got kicked twice that day.... My bike had me so worried at one point i carried around a tool kit, crescent wrench included lol. Atleast you had back up to help you out.

Back