Hill hold kills slow start?

Hello there,

I didn't find a mention using search so I fancied bothering some of you with my question regarding hill hold:
The underground parking lot of my office has ramps steep with sharp turns.
I therefore usually take the ascending turn with a momentum but I feel totally insecure in case of stopping in the middle of the turn.
In a similar situation, steep ramp with obstacle at its end forcing a sharp turn, I found hill hold troublesome.
In fact, that system would let me starting fast only. If I started slowly, the automatic braking would kill the engine.

Now, is it something I do wrong, or shall I simply deactivate the system and get along?
With my body dimensions, putting feet down means leaning on the handlebars... but I guess this is the general drawback of sport bikes.

thanks for your time
AK

My manual Focus ST has a hill hold and it makes sense. On a motorcycle with separate front and rear brakes I don't get it. I've had it turned off from day one. What I would suggest is practice and get used to putting your left foot down and keep you right foot on the rear brake. Get comfortable with that and you'll be gtg.

I'm not familiar with the Suzuki hill hold but I do have it on both my BMW's and it works very well. It works well on hills and I use it when stopped at a light, now that I have hill hold I'm not sure I'd buy a bike without hill hold. Have you read the directions in the owners manual? If not read up on hill hold to make sure you're using it correctly. Like anything else hill hold probably works well in 99% of situations but there's the 1% when it doesn't work well so if you're not comfortable using it just don't engage it in certain situations. While hill hold is a great feature we all lived without it successfully.

Back