Hot start solution

knowing that the busa also tends to overcharge with volts over 14.9 -15.5

Perhaps I should do some measuring and consider another rectifier.

I wonder whar the oldest report of this happening on a gen2 is?
I never even heard of it as a gen2 issue until the gen3's started doing it.
I owned a gen2 for almost 4 years, and must have ridden a dozen others, some many times, and I never had it happen.
Gen 1 does it too. We have to push my buddy to get it to start sometimes after getting gas. He got rid of the key lock gascap so he doesn't have to shutdown

My '99 Gen 1 when cold cranks over very fast and starts immediately.
When it's up to normal temp it has an initial slow crank for the first few revolutions, then the starter motor picks up speed and it fires up and runs.
I run a yellow Motobatt (I know, I know) about 5 years old and it's never failed me.
I went out to the garage the other night and started the Busa after 6 weeks of standing, and it cranked fast and started right away! Amazing, I really thought I was going to need the jump pack.

Here is my thoughts on this from my Gen 1 experience. I believe the starter is getting hot and swelling. I removed mine and wrapped it in DEI gold tape. Keeps the heat out of it. I would love for someone else to wrap theirs and see if it helps their issue.

Of course there is always the 24volt option as well. But I think it’s the starter swelling up.

Here is my thoughts on this from my Gen 1 experience. I believe the starter is getting hot and swelling. I removed mine and wrapped it in DEI gold tape. Keeps the heat out of it. I would love for someone else to wrap theirs and see if it helps their issue.

Of course there is always the 24volt option as well. But I think it’s the starter swelling up.

So that fixed yours?

If you have any starting issues, this should be your first mod to a Gen-1/2/3 bike…

720CCA

What's the problem, the color or something else I need to know?

@Dopey advised me to go AGM. So I found recommendations for that Motobatt around here.
At the dealership I work at, we used to stock and sell Motobatt batteries.
Then suddenly a few years ago lot of warranty claims of dead batteries started coming in, we charged and load tested each one and they just wouldn’t take a full charge, there’s more to it than just that but would take too long to explain it all.
Long story short, we stopped stocking and selling Motobatt.

I run this theory also!!
But the proof is in the pudding and wrapping the starter with the gold tape is a great idea!
Next time I have my tank off I’m going to remove my starter and wrap it, will keep you informed on the result whether it fixes the problem or not.
Did it fix your problem?

I have a brand new 2023 Gen 3. On the way home from the dealership, picked it up with zero miles, I saw a Biker on the side of the road and whipped around to check on him. He was fine. 16 or 17 miles on the bike and it did this. This was this past Saturday. It now has ~150 miles on it and has done it a couple of times. So either they didn't fix it or mine didn't get updated. Any ideas?
bought mine a month ago 2023 black color (mfg aug 2022). same thing happened to me on the way home after the quick gas stop and it did it few more times but it seems like it never does it again after about 1000mls

I have a 24 Busa that I’ve owned from new & from day one had this issue that was exactly as shown in bigirb2002’s video. It was a persistent problem that happened 9 out of 10 times on hot starts & my most typical instance was when getting gas and then attempting to start my bike. The fix was exactly as bigirb2002 has stated by marginally opening the throttle upon starting the bike when hot. I recently had my 3750 mile service at my local Suzuki dealer & described the issue. They had indicated another customer had the same issue and after the most recent software update it was resolved. Sure enough they updated my software in addition to the service & the problem has in fact gone away & has not happened again since the update so as per my findings it seems to be software related. If you’re still having this issue on your Gen 3 my recommendation would be to have your dealer update your software & I hope this resolves your problem also.

IMG_3188.jpeg

I have a 24 Busa that I’ve owned from new & from day one had this issue that was exactly as shown in bigirb2002’s video. It was a persistent problem that happened 9 out of 10 times on hot starts & my most typical instance was when getting gas and then attempting to start my bike. The fix was exactly as bigirb2002 has stated by marginally opening the throttle upon starting the bike when hot. I recently had my 3750 mile service at my local Suzuki dealer & described the issue. They had indicated another customer had the same issue and after the most recent software update it was resolved. Sure enough they updated my software in addition to the service & the problem has in fact gone away & has not happened again since the update so as per my findings it seems to be software related. If you’re still having this issue on your Gen 3 my recommendation would be to have your dealer update your software & I hope this resolves your problem also.

View attachment 1684856

Any idea what that update was, and what settings it changed?

I would guess less cranking timing, more throttle opening during cranking. And or both
And or some timing advancement? who knows who knows. All the added electronics, the traction control etc are pretty involved with lean angle sensors and whatnot. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a difference trying to start on the sidestand or the vertical.

Back