Little Tire Education Please

Fireman6615

Registered
I've read a lot of post regarding tires here and I need a little education. I'm currently running Bridgestone BT016 front and rear, been pretty pleased with them, haven't had any problems until the front starts to wear and then it likes to slide. Found that out last year at the Bash, so I had a new one put on at Wheelers. So now here it is almost a year later, probably 2500 miles and my front is wore again. Discovered this while riding this weekend, slide again. First question is that normal longevity on this tire? I was considering switching to maybe a Michelin or Dunlop to give those a try. So next question is what's the difference between the Q2 and the Roadsmart? Lastly whats the difference between the Pilot Road2 and the Pilot Power 2CT? I know a lot of you guys have tried different tires but I haven't been riding the Busa long enough to start trying different tires, so any help here would be great. Thanks.

Wow , not a tire expert. I get 8K out of a front tire on the Gen II, got 12K out of them on the Gen I.

Question, does it tend to slide on left hand turns before it slides on right hand turns? Is your tire cupped?. Tires in the US wear faster on the left than the right because left hand turns have a larger radius. You notice it on the front but not on the rear. If not it's probably the tire compound is not right for your style of riding. Maybe you should slow down a bit:whistle: Many folks like to put a Dunlop Q2 on the front and a Roadsmart or Roadsmart 2 on the back. If you have the cash and don't mind replacing tires every 4K or less go with the Q2s on bothe ends. She'll stick good with those. I had the Bridgestone Battleaxe BT 023 on the rear until I took a nail at 1000 miles and swapped it with the Roadsmart 2 and the Dunlop was much better.

I recommend the Dunlop Q2 (Sportmax). Very sticky tire. Some guys put the Q2 Roadsmart on the rear and the Q2 sprotmax on the front so that both tires wear out about the same time if you do a lot of commuting. I use the sportmax Q2 both front and back and do mainly canyon riding. Front and back seem to be wearing about the same so I guess it depends on what type of riding you do.

There's nothing wrong with the 016 you have and the mileage you got out of it; it's a higher range performance tire which means it's not going to last as long. Mine cup also about same mileage. The Q2 is a GREAT front tire we do trackdays on them; I think just as smidgen better than an 016. So, search around and compare price between the two sometimes you get lucky. Price being equal, you will really be impressed with the grip of the Q2. If you aren't riding that hard, a higher mileage rear (Roadsmart/BT023) with a Q2 front is a highly recommended combination.

Thanks so far guys. Robert, what tire you running now? Zurcher, its on the right side that's wearing the most. I'm by far not one of the fastest riders, I try to concentrate more on smoothness and riding good lines. The rear seems to be doing fine. I didn't expect the front to wear out that quick, I like the BT's but I cant afford to buy one every 3000 miles or so. That's why I was asking about the difference between the other tires I mentioned. I do mostly canyon riding on the weekend and commuting to work during the week. So something sticky enough for the weekends with decent tread life, but not a race tire, but does OK on the commute.

It's always going to be a trade off, mileage/cost vs. grip/cost. Still that grippy front tire is cheaper than parts and dr's bills....

Strange it's only wearing on the right. Unless your riding in England. It will cup on the left eventually though. Rub your hand across the tire and you should feel a shallow groove forming about halfway across the tread. I have the Sportmax Q2 on the front and the Roadsmart 2 on the back now. Sportmax wore out too quick for my taste so It's the Roadsmart 2 for the front also to see how that goes.

It's always going to be a trade off, mileage/cost vs. grip/cost. Still that grippy front tire is cheaper than parts and dr's bills....

Cant agree with you more! Any opinion about switching from the 016 to the Pilot Power 2CT or the Pilot Road2? Isn't the 2CT more track oriented with a longer warm up time or do I have it backwards?

Our resident Michelin 'expert', Lankeeyankee, will certainly post up soon enough and extol the virtues of the Michelins. Remember their technology is a few years older than the Dunlops, and make sure you compare prices.

Yea I figured he would, I've read a lot of his "posts" and the first Bash I came to I rode with him and Trey. I as trying to decide if I needed to switch up tires to another brand for a little better life or just stick with another BT. Now would be the time to do it since the front is almost gone again and the Bash is coming up. Don't want to start out on a bad tire again and have to replace it there. I have a friend who works at Michelin who can get tires, so that's why the questions between the Michelins and the Dunlops.

I recommend the contiental conti-motion tires. In the 69,000 miles I have put on my bike I have had Dunlop (good but loud), metzler (good), bridgestone (doesn't last) The continental has by far been the best tire I have ever used best part is it is also the lowest cost. I did a whole season drag racing (burn it till it smokes then stop spinning and race) and I still got 10,000 miles out of the rear. Rolled rubber on the dragon several times and never offered to slip, also its around 300 miles to the dragon for me the tire never had a flat spot till it was time to replace.

The conti-motion is the road sport tire they do have a stickier model, but my style of riding has not needed anything stickier. I am in no way a pro-racer but a few guys on the board have road curves with me we aren't slow in the corners.

Looking around through some other threads and online, looks like BikeBandit has a set of Dunlop Q2's for $248.33 with free shipping. This might be an option, never priced the Q2's before, is this a good deal? I did see where Flicka got some with a promo code and they're cheaper now.

Wow, that's weird. I went back to BikeBandit today to order a set of Dunlops and the price is different. Hmmm, overnight price increase :dunno:

Looking around through some other threads and online, looks like BikeBandit has a set of Dunlop Q2's for $248.33 with free shipping. This might be an option, never priced the Q2's before, is this a good deal? I did see where Flicka got some with a promo code and they're cheaper now.

Right now that would be a good price. you have to shop.

Wow, that's weird. I went back to BikeBandit today to order a set of Dunlops and the price is different. Hmmm, overnight price increase :dunno:
It happens to me everytime I price tires. So if I think I get a good deal I go for it. The Michelin PR3 in the garage was $177 TMD. If it sticks and last 10K as stated by another rider I'll be very happy. I was thinking you were running 40 / 40. You are definitely at a different level of riding.

I was 40/40 but I think I got a little smarter and took some advice of others and dropped the pressure and it made a lot of difference in the feel and handling.

Back