Looks like i'm in a bind

OK.... Take 1/2 drill bit and drill this fugger out... You already broke the ring.. what the point of saving it now... You can buy vortex keyless fuel cap.

1/2 only? I was thinkin more of a 3/4. I'll look into that keyless cap, but I'm semi-wary of hooligans fuggin with stuff.

Clicked there, that's not it.

This is what I'm talking about.

TANK ASSY,FUEL 44100-24F02-M9S (replaces 44100-24F00-M9S)  1 $491.44
So you need the whole tank just to replace the locking cap  
rock.gif
 Sorry but that doesn't sound intelligent at all.
wow.gif
Noooo....

I need the whole tank eventually b/c rust built up in my tank. I flushed it and was supposed to flush it again, but this happened.

After the flush, it was on to a primer and sealer. But that still doesn't negate the fact that there's rust in there. A new tank was the only logical solution for the long run. Only problem is that the tank is $500.

Which I can't afford right now.

Which I'll need to get painted again.

Which will keep me off the road.

It's been near two years in near-perfect daily riding conditions. I'm going nuts already.
Dude your original topic was about stuck key lock, you've been handing out spin and jacking on the computer for two days now, that thing should have been out yesterday! I'm sorry but a simple little problem like that is not worth three pages of posts. My last reply & cut the crap!

It happened to me once...What i did was loosen or take out all the screws holding the lock/cap assembly on....Then try and turn key and if it was like mine....took some jiggling and came off...the lock was all gum'd up so a can of brake cleaner later worked like new
I took out the screws, but it's still not working. Looks like that brake cleaner may be the ticket.
After you clean all that mess... put you in a little "Never Seize" and all your problems are gone. When I got my bike painted a little over a year ago, I took the gas cap assembly apart and cleaned the inside and put some never-seize on it, and it's been all gravy.

Clicked there, that's not it.

This is what I'm talking about.

TANK ASSY,FUEL 44100-24F02-M9S (replaces 44100-24F00-M9S)  1 $491.44
So you need the whole tank just to replace the locking cap  
rock.gif
 Sorry but that doesn't sound intelligent at all.
wow.gif
Noooo....

I need the whole tank eventually b/c rust built up in my tank. I flushed it and was supposed to flush it again, but this happened.

After the flush, it was on to a primer and sealer. But that still doesn't negate the fact that there's rust in there. A new tank was the only logical solution for the long run. Only problem is that the tank is $500.

Which I can't afford right now.

Which I'll need to get painted again.

Which will keep me off the road.

It's been near two years in near-perfect daily riding conditions. I'm going nuts already.
Dude your original topic was about stuck key lock, you've been handing out spin and jacking on the computer for two days now, that thing should have been out yesterday! I'm sorry but a simple little problem like that is not worth three pages of posts. My last reply & cut the crap!
Yes it should have. I should have drilled that bastid out when I had the chance.

And I will. NOW.

Why did it sit? Well, if ya read through everything, you'll see that people here said lube it and let it sit overnight.

I gave it a shot, and it didn't work. Oh well.

Not worth three pages of posts? Hell, if this at least sheds some light or gives some help to someone who may be stuck with a similar situation, then it ain't worthless at all.

Crap has been cut, and thank you for your time.
rock.gif

rock.gif

It happened to me once...What i did was loosen or take out all the screws holding the lock/cap assembly on....Then try and turn key and if it was like mine....took some jiggling and came off...the lock was all gum'd up so a can of brake cleaner later worked like new
I took out the screws, but it's still not working. Looks like that brake cleaner may be the ticket.
After you clean all that mess... put you in a little "Never Seize" and all your problems are gone.  When I got my bike painted a little over a year ago, I took the gas cap assembly apart and cleaned the inside and put some never-seize on it, and it's been all gravy.
Never sieze, huh? Man...if I'd known that back then, I think this whole mess coulda been avoided.

After you clean all that mess... put you in a little "Never Seize" and all your problems are gone.  When I got my bike painted a little over a year ago, I took the gas cap assembly apart and cleaned the inside and put some never-seize on it, and it's been all gravy.
I forgot to mention....

HOW THE HECK YA BEEN, BROTHER?!?!?

Been a long time since I seen ya around these parts!
smile.gif

press down with your thumb as hard as you can on the 12 oclock position of the gas cap (it should feel spring loaded) while turning the key to the right. if the key still doesnt turn then it could be pins in the keyhole could be jammed up somehow and not mating up to the key when you put it in. the only thing i could think to remedy that would be wd40 in the key hole and pushing your key in and out of the hole a few times or take one of the big paper clips, put it in the hole and try to rub the sides of the hole to free up the jammed pin. if that doesnt work i would guess your S.O.L. i bought one on ebay, tank and cap. the idiot left the cap on the tank locked with no key. i put my hand through the fuel pump hole on the bottom and tried to push the lock button in but it was useless. had to drill it out and turn it with a flat head.

press down with your thumb as hard as you can on the 12 oclock position of the gas cap (it should feel spring loaded) while turning the key to the right. if the key still doesnt turn then it could be pins in the keyhole could be jammed up somehow and not mating up to the key when you put it in. the only thing i could think to remedy that would be wd40 in the key hole and pushing your key in and out of the hole a few times or take one of the big paper clips, put it in the hole and try to rub the sides of the hole to free up the jammed pin. if that doesnt work i would guess your S.O.L. i bought one on ebay, tank and cap. the idiot left the cap on the tank locked with no key. i put my hand through the fuel pump hole on the bottom and tried to push the lock button in but it was useless. had to drill it out and turn it with a flat head.
Yup...the spring seems to be dead. I'm guessin the latch may have froze.

The tumblers could be another culprit, but the key's ridges aren't worn at all.

I've tried the WD40 route, no dice. SOL I am, I guess. I could try ebay, but there's too much goin on there to make me feel really comfortable.

And dude...your hand fit through the hole? Damn...I can't even get four fingers into it. Unless I'm thinkin somethin different.

If I remember correctly, the 99-00 set up had the fuel pump external. The 01-present set up has it internal. If so, then the hole would have to be bigger.

i didnt read all the post before i typed my reply so ignore the first sentence. if the second part doesnt work then drill it out. you can buy a new one for between 130 and 140 according to bikebandit.com. it comes with keys from the looks of it or you can take it to a lock smith and they can rekey the lock to accept your original key.

I'll try the second part. I have another cap and key....so it's two keys this time around, I guess.

I wonder if the locksmith can set up the new lock to my old key. That would be most convenient.

Thanks for the tip, bud!

and yes the hole in mine was bigger at the bottom because it was an 04 tank and i was putting it on a 00 bike. i cut a bigger hole out of the 04 tank and welded in the bottom of an 00 tank.

yes they should be able to set the new lock up to fit your old key....ive had it done to a few cars where the people rip out the trunk lock because they lose the key to it (on old cars)

yes they should be able to set the new lock up to fit your old key....ive had it done to a few cars where the people rip out the trunk lock because they lose the key to it (on old cars)
PERFECT!

Thanks, man...I really appreciate it!

Tell me more about that drilling and flathead technique, though. I was thinkin I was just gonna drill through the whole drum. All the way down to the bottom.

you dont need to drill any futher down than the key goes. hole needs to be big enough that it drills out all the tumblers. use a small drill bit first, one thats just bigger than the key slot then use a bit thats a little bigger and etc. 3 or 4 drill bits, the next bigger than the one before it and you should be able to turn it with the flat head. im not entirely sure but i doubt that shavings will enter the tank.

So go by increments? Gotcha.

But what happens if the latch or drum is indeed frozen? I like the idea of not having to drill through the entire assy as it will keep the shavings out.

trust me....if you can get one of those wide and bulky on the bottom flat heads in there and providing you have a descent amount of muscle in your arms then you should be able to twist and break loose anything thats jammed up in there.

very cool. Looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel yet! Thanks for the advice, smoking!

Game on!

Back