Motorcyclists who quit riding.

After becoming Mr. Mom to my 3 young kids in 1991 (divorce, custody of the kids), I quit doing anything remotely dangerous. It was 2 and 1/2 years ago that I reacquainted myself with the joys of riding motorcycles. Funny, I didn't miss riding while I was busy raising my family.
smile.gif

Rode minibikes and dirt bikes until I ws 15. Had my first street bike when I was 16 and had a number of bikes until I was thirty. Between 30 and 40 years old, I have rented bikes locally and while traveling (Martha's Vineyard, The Florida Keys and locally). Got back into it recently at 40, interestingly when I had two kids. The same things I loved about it 25 years ago, I love about it now.
I got out of it because alot of my friends got rid of theirs and during my 30's I did not have a garage.

<!--EDIT|pennetta
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122943413 -->

My son, Bryce is 16 months old, and ever since I can remember, probably about his age, I have loved motorcycles. Once I get my scanner going I will post all of the mini-bikes,dirt bikes, and street bikes that I have owned. It is in my blood bad (GOOD). If someone ups and quits biking, to me they were never really passionate about it in the first place or they are sufferring in pain from ever giving up the sport, if thats what you want to call it. I went two months without a bike one summer, never again my friends, thats two months of time I will never get back!
race.gif

The first time I quit was due to the realization that I was not attentive enough to ride a bike, plus I drank a lot at the time.
Another thing that runs through my mind almost every day is the loss of a great friend and riding buddy just 7 months ago. I'm apprehensive about getting on the bike now. I don't want to quit riding, but I no longer want to live on the bike.

Kev

When I got into my accident back in Jan of this year (first ever in 7 years of riding street) I seriously considered not ever touching a bike again. The injuries I sustained hurt so much that I never wanted to go through something like that again. But then the "busa-bug" hit me again in late april and I bought a new one. Once a rider always a rider. People back off for a little while and then re evaluate. It's ok. Some may quit b/c of family or kids. Even though some quit, it doesn't mean to say they've lost the love of motorcycles.

I had my first bike (1984 GPZ 550 ) for about 9 years. after my second child I sold it to a friend and bought a 4 wheeler, something the kids could ride aroung in the yard with me. I never lost the passion for bikes, always loved the GSXR-750s. About 3 years ago I started getting the bug again, wife didnt want to have anything to do with it, but the kids took an interest. Finally back in January I took the family to the Cycle World show in Atlanta, I had already decieded on the Busa, and in Febuary I bought my Blue/Silver 05. My wife has only ridden a few times but my 2 girls, 15 and 13 are on it 90% of the time I am. I have 4500 miles on it now and have made several trips to Deals Gap and the North Georgia mountains, each time new adventures. My only regret is that I didnt buy one sooner, like someone said before, that is time I lost, but I am trying to make up for it now. You only live one time, live life to its fullest. Ride safe.

this one covers many grounds, personal tragedy,  mine would be just get busy doing other things, I think alot of this newest trends is people thinking "I wanna be a bad azz biker dude" and not realizing thats not what it is about,, being a real rider is the enjoyment for me doing it as well as I can learning all I can loving the feel of being out there I don't care to be with anyone else since it is my time so relaxing but so many people lately have been buying bikes to keep up with the Jones's so to speek, lets take our 2 min cruise to hooters drink beer then do our 2 min cruise back home yea, BS!  the only reason I go to hooters sometimes on thursdays is to get the 20 wings for 10 price  the people like that are never gonna last let them go.  but when I see others out there I know they love it like I do and I'll ride with them anytime.        last reason would be someone that scared the hell out of themselves, don't be a wuss get back up and do it again especially if you love it!

<!--EDIT|onerabidshark
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122996634 -->

1 word .. ----->  Kids  ..   the "kids" ..have grown .. I picked up where I left off..  sort of.. then I found  the " Busa"  
smile.gif
I struggle with that dilemma everyday it seems...

my family is young... and i am the breadwinner.. if something happens it's gonna go to hell in a handbasket real fast..

I love riding... but I do it less than I ever imagined now..

I put 8,000 on the bike the first year... 6,000 in the last 2

I used to ride basically everyday.. now it's a once a month on sunday thing.. and occasionally once/twice during the week.

I see myself moving more to trackdays only... yeah it could still happen... but my chances of being smeared by a drunk in a minivan (like rubbah just had happen) are greatly diminshed..

My dad quit when I was young.. and got back into when I got interested around 12 yo with dirt bikes.. when I got a street bike.. so did he... I don't have plans of that just yet... but I can't say with certainty that I won't end up following that model.. especially if we have another child.

Track days are the ticket now!
smile.gif
word!   safer.  more fun.  safer.  tons more fun.  faster.  cooler.  safer.   mucho more fun.  safer.    takes you to newer levels.  safer.    uncomparable fun.  

and safer
Part of the thrill of riding that I like so much is the exploring. You don't get much of that at the track.

Kev
How about exploring your limits or watching those in front of you pass their own.
rock.gif

THe track is the funnest thing I have ever done and does not even come close to street riding, IMO.

I visit a number of sportbike forums and its always interesting to read posts where a seemingly pretty enthusiastic rider just ups and quit riding out of the blue.

Plus I view alot of used bike ads all over the place.

Its always:

"I am quiting, I have decided to move on etc etc etc"

"Its time to buy a house"

"My wife made me do it"

And more.

These people may own a bike , perhaps even several bikes over several years.  They may be in sportbike clubs and do alot of posting on the internet forums.  However I would bet that alot of these people dont ride alot, and alot aint 2000 miles a year.  I would also bet that alot of these people dont like to ride alone way out in the middle of nowwhere and rip it up where its just you , your bike and your maker.

IMO nothing on earth can compare to a good quality ride on a motorcycle.

I know guys who have pretty much seen death and barely escaped  alive from motorcycle wrecks and these guys ride like crazy.  They will never stop until they either cannot ride or they are dead.

How can someone who is passionate about motorcyling just up and quit?
You said it..."passionate". They just aren't that! If they were...they wouldn't quit, I guess...

Track days are the ticket now!
smile.gif
word!   safer.  more fun.  safer.  tons more fun.  faster.  cooler.  safer.   mucho more fun.  safer.    takes you to newer levels.  safer.    uncomparable fun.  

and safer
Part of the thrill of riding that I like so much is the exploring. You don't get much of that at the track.

Kev
How about exploring your limits or watching those in front of you pass their own.
rock.gif

THe track is the funnest thing I have ever done and does not even come close to street riding, IMO.
I agree 100% with that.. I've said several times that track days are the funnest damn thing I've ever done on anything with a motor.

getting out and riding aroudn looking at stuff is fun... and has its' place for sure..

but NOTHING i've ever done on the road even begins to compare to a track day.

I often wonder if I should give up street riding.  No because of my abilities, but it's getting more and more dangerous for motorcyclists, especially in the metropolitan areas.  Women, SUV's and cell phones just don't mix.  Every week there is at least one motorcycle fatality.  Many friends have resigned to basically track only bikes.  Whether it be track days or drag strip.  Sometimes street riding just isn't as relaxing as it used to be.  You must always scan for potential hazards.  I will agree that away from the metropolitan areas, it is a bit more relaxing and enjoyable.  I also agree with previous comments that if you have other interests, it may not be as difficult to leave or at least slow down a bit.  I took ten years off.  Once I decided to get back, it took two ridings seasons just to make the right decision on riding, motorcycle, etc.

<!--EDIT|soon2be
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123041376 -->

Back