ZX-12 Launch / MCN TEXT

G

Boy, Kevin sure is going to be glad to hear that! Time to find a new insider??!!! I figure by the time Kaw finally figures out how how to go fast Suzuki will already have the next Cowbuster planned. Guess we get to hear yet another round of green excuses now.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 27 August 1999).]

Two independent aero experts, that don't claim to have any "insider" info from Kaw, say that Kaw might be having problems with aero issues. WOW, I never designed a motorcycle in my life and I could give an "expert" opinion that this would be one of the two BIG issues (the other, of course is HP) in trying to design a 200MPH bike.

Yawn!! More mindless speculation that everyone jumps on as fact. MCN's "insider" claims that the HP target is not being hit. Other bike magazines claim that their "insider info" says the opposite.

Blah, blah, blah... more mindless fact-less speculations/rumors.

Funny how the last THREE reports released have all indicated that the 12 is NOT up to snuff. Funny how you Kaw guys pick and choose the rumors you choose to believe and discount the ones (like the last three) that don't suit you. At least it's funny for us BUSA guys! I don't know how we would get along without the current group of GREEN jesters we have now. :)

My trusted dealer still will not take my deposit because he does not know when it will be available. Nuff Said. And I actually was looking forward to this beast. Maybe tomarrow
Oh well back to reality again--Busa.
Bob

Genetic Engineering time for Kawasaki.

The zx12r is also plagued with bad DNA. Swingarm developement(bike is still being sorted?)and I thought this bike was going to be a reality in September. Inside sources speak of the DNA chain that is so Kawasaki Dominant (Flexi-Flyer H1,H2,Z1,KZ900 etc).

In the UK it could be called MadKaw Disease. Perhaps from a diet of melted down GPZ's an ZX11's, this new and yet to be sorted ZX12 is suffering even before its "soon" release.

I think that Kaw tried too hard to go forward with new technology...the spine frame especially.

Suz took a brilliant tack...used existing technology, made it bigger and more robust.
Concentrated on aerodynamics, not just to go fast but to be stable (ever thrown a new windscreen on a bike and had it wobble?)

Moto journalists (and they get to ride more, and ride more different poop than we do), always praise the Busa's stability.

My intuition is that Suz has made a very hard-to-beat leap (10%) in top speed, and has done so in a safe chassis.

It's going to be harder to surpass that in a meaningful way than just dumping a lot of horsepower into a weird frame.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 27 August 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 28 August 1999).]

Latest News Story
Launch put back
while Kawasaki
hones high-speed
performance
Friday August 27th
KAWASAKI'S ZX-12R may be delayed while the firm carries
out extensive high-speed testing.

With a predicted 180bhp on tap and the potential to get close
to 200mph, the bike is entering uncharted territory and
Kawasaki will want to make sure that high-speed handling is
spot-on before the bike is officially revealed to the public.

It's not unusual for tests on prototypes to reveal handling and
other problems and the firm is known to be trying out different
swingarms.

The innovative aluminium spine frame - which doubles as an
airbox - looks very strong already, so the swingarm is one area
engineers could work on. The swingarm will need to be tough
to prevent it flexing as the four-cylinder engine puts down its
power.

Kawasaki still has not revealed a launch date, hinting the bike
might not make it to the Milan or Paris shows or feature in the
2000 model line-up at all. It was expected to be launched at
the Milan Show next month. If it is delayed, the bike - which is
expected to cost around £8000 - could make the Paris Show
in October.

Kawasaki was originally expected to launch the bike at the
Munich Show last September, but held it back after leaks
about the stunning performance of the Suzuki Hayabusa.
Engineering experts MCN has spoken to believe aerodynamics
are another area Kawasaki will be looking at as pre-production
bikes undergo final testing.

Race chassis designer Dave Pearce, from Tigcraft, said: "The
idea behind the frame isn't new. A similar frame has been used
on the old JPS Nortons in the 1970s without any problems and
it should be strong enough to deal with the bike's power.

"But the ZX-12R is right at the limits of performance. Kawasaki
is exploring the outer limits of top speed. Nobody knows what
problems might occur at 180mph or above."

Pearce added that any difficulties the ZX-12R encounters are
more likely to be down to aerodynamics than anything
structural.

And aerodynamics expert Adrian Gaylard, from the motor
industry's testing facility at MIRA, said: "Aerodynamics can
have a profound effect on stability at high speed.

"It affects the balance between the front and rear of the bike
and its sensitivity to cross and side winds."
The Kawasaki already has fins on the lower half of the fairing.
Similar fins are fitted to GP bikes and are there to improve
stability at speed.

MCN's source has also revealed the bike is slightly down on
the 180bhp and 200mph targets Kawasaki is aiming for,
rubbishing claims it has been tested to 210mph.
Disappointing performance could force the Japanese firm to
delay it again.

Kawasaki UK refused to comment about the bike, its
existence or any delay. Kawasaki's Penny Hill said: "All new
model information is embargoed."
News Index
ducmanic
Los Angeles

[This message has been edited by ducmanic (edited 27 August 1999).]

Kawasaki got lazy...Yeah, I can buy that.
they were sitting on their asses since 1990, content that they had the fastest bike in the world. Year after year they would just change the colours and the stripes, introducing a 'new' model.
Now they're eating poop. I guess they deserve it.

However, what I can't understand is this:
If they manage to extract 140 hp from the 900, just keeping the same volumetric efficiency they should be able to do 180hp. OK, it doesn't always work like this, but a 1200 can be peaky because there's lots of grunt down there anyway.
These people introduced a 750 with 112hp back in 1983. What the hell happened since?

I'll tell you what happened, downsizing, trying to do the corporation thing; make more money while spending less and I fear the worse is true, they hired harley davidson engineers. If perhaps they had better engineers and less lawyers maybe they would have a better bike..............

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 28 August 1999).]

Christ man!! I don't know what the hell Kawasaki is thinking, trying to beat the Busa with 100 cc less and not thinking about the aerodynamics a little more. If they haven't designed the bike properly by now, it won't be released for a couple more years. By that time they'll need another 300 cc. I bet my ZX-11 is twice the bike the ZX-12 is. Sorry guys, I just haven't made enough money yet to buy my Busa, but I will.

Just a thought-
Kawasaki is the smallest of the Japanese
bike mfg's with about 208,000 bikes a year,
including domestic scooter's. Maybe the "12"
is not a high corporate priority. With ships,
(even one Called the Hayabusa), planes, and trains to build.
On another topic, (my favorite) i did a block long second gear burnout on the local drag about 4:30am. The Bus' rips. The chicks
in the car next to me were blown away. Off for a ride. "Suzuki Rules the World"
ducmanic

Pete, there is a historical precedent for using a strategy of stretching existing, proven technology to defeat new-generation, ghee-whiz technology. It is called the Second World War.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

After all this ZX12 fiasco, I guess I'll have to choose between the Bus and the Bird.
The bird looks better (to me) and I think it beats Suzuki's build quality - plus it's been debugged.
The Bus is king of performance, but apparently still needs work from the factory.
I guess I could get used to it's looks, but I don't want a bike that cutts off unexpectedly.
Plus you can't really beat 150 extra cc's, can you?

I'm embarrassed on Kawasaki's behalf. I believed they could do better than that.

Suzuki has risen to the cut out problem and will have the procedure for the fix in the dealers hands next week.

Did you really think a first year bike might not have a bug to be killed, oh I forgot bugs are green.

Y2K ready, yup bring on the bug-ugly ZX12.

Pete, that was what I was thinking of with the WWII analogy. The Hayabusa is essentially a stretching of the GSX-R design. It is pretty highly refined in its first year, and kicks butt for a reasonable price. The B-29 and P-51 did the same.

Kawasaki has apparently tried to make an end run with things like a radical new frame concept. The V-2 and Me-262 did the same. The radical concepts have great potential, but in both cases the more-proven technology gives fairly monstrous performance that is rock-steady. Being pretty conventional, the Hayabusa still pushes the limits in a lot of areas. Kawasaki's reach may have simply exceeded their grasp. They went with something new, and they are having trouble with it.

Back