Beginner Bike for a Big Boy?

OmegaSoul498

Registered
I'm looking to buy my first bike, on the road to 'Busa ownership. I was looking for something safe enough to learn on, big enough that I don't look like a circus bear riding it (I'm a former offensive lineman, hovering in the 300-lb area), and with a similar peg-to-seat dimension as the 'Busa. I'lll be taking both the Louisiana State and MSF courses once it warms up, and I want something that I can put some serious practice time in on, and that won't kill my pockets The more I type, the more this wishlist sounds like a pipe dream, but I figures somebody could at least get me in the ball park. All suggestions are welcome.

Buy the cheapest thing you can find to learn doesnt matter what it looks like and once you learn and get the schooling buy the Busa, I learned on 1980 550 suzuki( looked like crap but ran) it cost me 500$ drove it for a month and then got a real bike (2002 Busa).

Im about your size man, 6'4'' 280 former offensive lineman myself. An '06 Hayabusa was my first bike and I would never buy anything else. I love everything about it. Comfort, power, looks, havent found a flaw yet. Just make sure you take your msf course and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE in parking lots and back roads before you go into traffic. You gotta learn to respect the bike and its power. Some people are meant to ride, and some should stay in a cage. Ive been riding for almost 3 years and am still a rookie. If you can afford it and think you will love the bike (I know you will), I say go big or go home. Dont waste your money on junk

ps. Id also like to recommend a nice set of Race Railz:whistle:

:welcome:

buy your gear. If you take the msf course and don't have a bike can't they lend you one?
I'm not sure. If you want a sportbike its hard to buy one that's not fast so idk. I have let my friends that have never rode before ride my bike in a parkin lot but i'm an idiot. If you have friends that ride ask them to help u out nicely
good luck

I'm 6'2" 330lbs and I took the MSF course in Sept 08. It was great. I rode as a kid and now I'm 39 and wanted to start riding again. After the MSF course my neighbor had an 05 Ninja 250 sitting in their garage with 600 miles. They let me borrow it. All I had to do was get the carbs cleaned. I rode the 250 since Sept 08 and last week I got an 05 Busa with only 9,000 miles for $6,000. What a deal. I thought long and hard about the power of such a big bike. I believe its all about the rider. Crazy people will do crazy things. I'm just not one of them.

The Busa fits me great. I thought about the Kawasaki Z14, it fitted me better than the Busa, but couldn't pass the deal. If you are wiling to keep a steady throttle hand you should be fine. I respect the power of the Busa.:bowdown: Always remember its easier to go fast but hard to stop. :laugh:

get your gear and we can do a track day at No Problem Raceway.

Performance Suzuki in Houma still has a blue 08 on the floor. I'm not sure what they are asking for it. Also try the Cycle Shack in Picayune MS.

I have a buddy who is shopping and he is telling me that Cycle Shack has the best price right now.

Getting a Busa for your first bike is not a big deal if you respect it. learn slow and take your time to get to know what it will do. I learned on a 996 v twin Superhawk.

I'm 5 10 305 and i ride a 08 busa and an 06 1000RR

the busa is comfy. the 1000 gets cramped at times but its still a blast.

hit me up if you get down to morgan city

and :welcome: to the org

lots of great advice already,POS for a couple of months, just in case you drop it, if you get a $500 bike and drop it biggie, or drop a busa and spend at least $500 for a new fairing, or the time and headache to repair the broken one. Plus if you do get foolish, oh S%#T happens later on a POS than a Busa Bepatient, take the coarse and learn as much as you can from it

No matter what bike you choose, as long as you control yourself you'll be fine. If you start on a fast bike, just keep your wrist a lot lower than your knuckles. That way, you can't turn the throttle far enough to take off fast. Speed comes later. So just because your bike is big and fast, it doesn't mean that you have to go fast. Get the bike you want and take your time to learn.

I learned my ropes on a '94 FZR600 in 1999 and didnt ride again til 2005 when I bought my busa-was a lil shaky ridn home but after that it comes back pretty quick...I felt the Busa was easier to 'learn' riding on because the 'fit' of the bike was more comfortable for me, walkn around @6'7" 260 I could handle the weight of the bike no prob...not that I ever dropped it:whistle: *flippd it over is more like it:moon:*

like they said above bro-RESPECT the power of the Busa, or it WILL kick yo mutha-lovin' teeth in!:rulez:

and :welcome: to the .org-once you get your bike, PM me I'll send you the wish-list for all the comfy parts that make riding a breeze!:thumbsup:

yeah i'am a big dude also 6'6" or so 290 i know i'am small:laugh: a 250 may suck but its good practice and my 08 busa still moves me a tad too much :whistle:

Last edited:
Used Badit1200/1250. Good all around bike for a bigger person. Good resale and not over priced. Very dependable bike.

busa was my first bike....although I did grow up on motocross bike. I think its a great beginner bike, the speed is all in the how far back you twist that throttle. Some people will crash on anything so it more of a "are you competent" question. Local police officer got on a zx-6 last year...wasn't wearing a helmet...twisted back the throttle and knocked it down in to 1st....bike took off and slammed straight into a brick wall. He flew over the bars broke his neck and now hes in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the torso down. SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT MEANT TO BE ON BIKES.

I would recommend if you have the area or the woods, try and get a cheap dirt bike or even a 4 wheeler so you can get the feel for a clutch on a bike. Then when you get on a bike you already have throtle control. Who cares what you look like on a dirt bike and your only going to practice for a couple of mounths. Then sell it or give it to your kid if you have one and be the best father ever. I started on a honda 400ex still own it and its a lot of fun when i get to ride.:laugh: My brother in law had a honda 100 dirt bike I rode that a few times, and I'm a 300 pounder :rofl: (and that was funny but who cares) If you can, get something with a better rear shock :laugh: Then my friend bought a GSXR600 and he let me take it for a little ride. At this point I kinda now how to ride, it wasn't a breeze cas things are a little different on a bike including power,size, and most of all just being on the road. so I went out and bought a TL1000 It's a big bike so I didn't look stupid, it was cheap cas I think it was dropped before, but again I knew I wasn't going to have that bike for ever. Stuck to the back roads for a year or so. The mane thing with this bike was a torque machen you better be carefull in first gear on this bike I think it had a aftermarket sproket didn't know much about that kinda stuff then, but I know that front tire wanted to stay off the ground. It's a really heavy bike but our size you can handle it. Then last year went to Daytona and seen all the stretchet Hayabusas with that big tire on the back and fell in love. As soon as I got home to cregs list I went sold the TL and everything I could get my hands on and bought that beutifull 08 charcole gray busa. Good luck and welcome to the org. Post some pics and let us know what rout you went. :welcome:

PS. If you decide to get on a small bike or dirt bike post up some pic's:rofl:

If your wanting a busa get a busa and save yourself some money. Asuming you have the self disipline to know your limits you'll be fine. If you used to play on the o-line im going to assume your stronger than most so the weight of the bike won't be an issue. You'll be able to handle the bulk of the busa as easily as most people handle their 600s. If your a natural born hooligan you may want to get a less agresive bike for your "starter", but in my expierience it's the type of behavior you exibit while ridding more than the machine your ridding that dictates your fate.

the busa will only go as fast as you let it.:laugh: however if you think you need a starter bike. i suggest a a honda superhawk. its a v-twin and very dependanble. they have enough power to go fast, but won't run out from under neith you. that was my first ride and i still miss it. just a suggestion. they quit makimng new ones around 2005 or so, but you can find them used.

I would take the MSF course before buying a Busa. Busa is a lot of bike for a beginner and if you drop it, it will cost dearly. I am not saying you shouldnt buy a Busa, but I would get a little experience before chunking down a lot of cash on a Busa. I dont care how big you are, if you have not ridden before then a Busa is not something to just try out. Get MSF course. Get the feel of a bike. Test drive some bikes. If you get a Busa, respect it. It will eat you alive if you dont.

Back