Beginner Bike for a Big Boy?

I got a buddy (300 lb'er) who went with a Ninja 636R. He's happy having that as his 1st bike.

Here's his bike:

MArcqus-New-Bike-007-copy.jpg

Last edited:
You sounds responsible enough to start with a busa is you wanted to...if you want something mellower try a bandit 1200 or a ZRX 1200.

I'm a big guy myself, 6'2" 320 lbs. Get the busa (08 or 09) and put it in "C" mode while you learn... you can't go wrong and it will save you money in the long run so you don't have to buy another bike...:beerchug:.. oh and :welcome:.

I found a 04 Ninja 250 on clist for $1200. I would probably pay more for a good tv. I'm wondering if it's a worthy investment.

absolutely, you will probably sell it for the same in a few months.

As to your other question, comparing the two, Ninja and 'busa are opposites: to a new rider, engine on busa is effortless, everything else takes effort. On the Ninja, engine takes effort, everything else is effortless, including insurance.

Once your skill level improves, you'll find the Ninja quite slow, but only from standstill. It is still faster than most cars, but pales against other bikes.

First few (k) miles are to build skills. The Ninja will let you build those skills the fastest.

Also, as you give yourself more time, you are bound to find a good deal on a busa over the next couple of months. Keep an eye out.

Given your size and posture, you'll be pleased with the busa. But it isn't the only choice. Find out your own driving style out first, then decide.

Check some other posts also, the SV650 also gets picked as an easy, forgiving bike. Not quite like the Ninja, but consider as alternative, or 2nd bike. They can be had quite cheap also.

Last point, all used bikes will costs less next year, ie. money in your pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device

absolutely, you will probably sell it for the same in a few months.

As to your other question, comparing the two, Ninja and 'busa are opposites: to a new rider, engine on busa is effortless, everything else takes effort. On the Ninja, engine takes effort, everything else is effortless, including insurance.

Once your skill level improves, you'll find the Ninja quite slow, but only from standstill. It is still faster than most cars, but pales against other bikes.

First few (k) miles are to build skills. The Ninja will let you build those skills the fastest.

Also, as you give yourself more time, you are bound to find a good deal on a busa over the next couple of months. Keep an eye out.

Given your size and posture, you'll be pleased with the busa. But it isn't the only choice. Find out your own driving style out first, then decide.

Check some other posts also, the SV650 also gets picked as an easy, forgiving bike. Not quite like the Ninja, but consider as alternative, or 2nd bike. They can be had quite cheap also.

Last point, all used bikes will costs less next year, ie. money in your pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device

I heard the same thing about the 250. I got a line on a GSXR 600. I'm going to give her a look tomorrow. I've heard good reviews about the 600, but I think I'll be picking up a pair of buell pegs at the nearest cycle shop just to make the fit a bit more comfortable

I heard the same thing about the 250. I got a line on a GSXR 600. I'm going to give her a look tomorrow. I've heard good reviews about the 600, but I think I'll be picking up a pair of buell pegs at the nearest cycle shop just to make the fit a bit more comfortable

we just got the 250, so it I easy for me to compare.

Dealers says that they typially lower the bike for girls, I assume under 5.5" or so. The sit is more upright than the busa, and you should not have a problem with the position. Bike weighs 330lbs. With my weight this comes to 530lbs, for you it'd be 630lbs, so perceived power will be 15% or so less. Not a big deal when you consider it is only invoked upon acceleration. I notice that max power is seldom needed otherwise. That said, your cornering speeds on backroads will be higher than on a bigger bike, but fast straight stretches take a little longer. Avoids getting into trouble though. Bike is fun to run, nothing like the head-snapping power, but very confidence inspiring, easy to handle, and extremely forgiving - I tried rookie mistakes such as late braking, trail braking in corner, power chop in corner, oversteering, etc. and nothing really upsets bike. Coming in too hot is simply solved by steering input and increasing lean. Not so on busa. Busa has nose dive under breaking and takes muscle to increase lean. Corners should be well planned on a busa. Been on several backroads here were the Ninja would outhandle the busa, but so would most smaller, flickable, bikes. Going to the Ninja 250 from the Busa is amazing in terms of how light the Ninja feels and how easy everything gets. Or, to say the inverse, every beginner would be a better rider on the Ninja.

I would avoid high performing and high torque 600cc's and up. They are sensitive to throttle position and simple potholes can launch the nose wheel when you hit a pothole, until you get more comfortable. Twin 600s are much more benign. Ninja 250, 500, 650, Suzuki sv650, etc. are all twins. High torque/hp are 4-in-line. Higher hp is lots of fun, but everything may happen a little too quick. Even so a gsxr600 is still a better choice than a busa for starters.

Also, sit on each bike, with your frame you may find the sporty forward lean cramped and pegs and handle bar risers will help.

Just for the record, under 5000 rpm, the busa is quite docile and similar to other heavy bike with short wheelbase. But if you open the throttle inadvertently, the beast shows and you better hold on.

Search "motorcycle crash" in You-tube and a you'll get a kaleidoscopy of mostly beginner errors, especially wheelies and low speed mistakes. They are avoidable through practice. Just don't exceed your skill level and you'll be fine - at first this really means 'take it slow'.
Posted via Mobile Device

we just got the 250, so it I easy for me to compare.

Dealers says that they typially lower the bike for girls, I assume under 5.5" or so. The sit is more upright than the busa, and you should not have a problem with the position. Bike weighs 330lbs. With my weight this comes to 530lbs, for you it'd be 630lbs, so perceived power will be 15% or so less. Not a big deal when you consider it is only invoked upon acceleration. I notice that max power is seldom needed otherwise. That said, your cornering speeds on backroads will be higher than on a bigger bike, but fast straight stretches take a little longer. Avoids getting into trouble though. Bike is fun to run, nothing like the head-snapping power, but very confidence inspiring, easy to handle, and extremely forgiving - I tried rookie mistakes such as late braking, trail braking in corner, power chop in corner, oversteering, etc. and nothing really upsets bike. Coming in too hot is simply solved by steering input and increasing lean. Not so on busa. Busa has nose dive under breaking and takes muscle to increase lean. Corners should be well planned on a busa. Been on several backroads here were the Ninja would outhandle the busa, but so would most smaller, flickable, bikes. Going to the Ninja 250 from the Busa is amazing in terms of how light the Ninja feels and how easy everything gets. Or, to say the inverse, every beginner would be a better rider on the Ninja.

I would avoid high performing and high torque 600cc's and up. They are sensitive to throttle position and simple potholes can launch the nose wheel when you hit a pothole, until you get more comfortable. Twin 600s are much more benign. Ninja 250, 500, 650, Suzuki sv650, etc. are all twins. High torque/hp are 4-in-line. Higher hp is lots of fun, but everything may happen a little too quick. Even so a gsxr600 is still a better choice than a busa for starters.

Also, sit on each bike, with your frame you may find the sporty forward lean cramped and pegs and handle bar risers will help.

Just for the record, under 5000 rpm, the busa is quite docile and similar to other heavy bike with short wheelbase. But if you open the throttle inadvertently, the beast shows and you better hold on.

Search "motorcycle crash" in You-tube and a you'll get a kaleidoscopy of mostly beginner errors, especially wheelies and low speed mistakes. They are avoidable through practice. Just don't exceed your skill level and you'll be fine - at first this really means 'take it slow'.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks a bunch. I'll definitely post pics of whatever I start out on...and may even post some 'watch the big boy toddle along' vids if I can find a cameraperson.

Im not sure if this was said, But I started out on a DL1000 aka V-strom. Im 6'8 and it did a great job for a first bike. I tried GSXR's ninjas all the sport bikes but the only one I dont look goofy on was the Busa, Which Is why I bought a Vstrom. They come in 650's for the gas mileage but I think the 1000 tought me some life lessons. If It was not that I would say a bigger bandit. But thats just my .02cents....

Back