Beginner Bike for a Big Boy?

i learned on a dirtbike for yrs, then rode a vtx 1800 of and on b4 i got the busa at 21 lol do it right so it doesnt cost you money bikes and your life!!! :welcome::welcome::beerchug:

My opinion only...

Buy something cheaper, older, and less ridiculously fast to ride for at least six months or so. As was written before, you don't want to drop a busa, or any bike that has thousands of dollars worth of plastic on it. I'm not guaranteeing you will, but in the end it comes down to risk assessment and how thick your wallet is. If you've got a couple of grand or so just lying around that you wouldn't miss if it just disappeared one day, it'll be easier to justify buying a busa with your present skill level.

The bandit recommendation seems a good one, though I haven't ridden one. With your size, I probably wouldn't look at less than something around 600cc.

I also wouldn't worry too much about throwing away money by buying a smaller bike to start with. If you buy right (preferably used), and at the right time of year (now is good in the Midwest/Northern part of the country), you shouldn't be looking at too great a depreciation hit if you decide to sell in a year...probably none at all if you sell in July/August. You can even make a little money buying in the winter and selling in the summer.

Busa's are not wild, uncontrollable machines if one rides responsibly. On the other hand, they are not easy to maneuver at slow speeds without a lot of practice...and probably a few mistakes that might be costly for a brand new rider. People have done it, but I wouldn't personally want to learn how to ride with a Busa as a first bike.

Best wishes with your decision. Regardless what you buy, stop back in and update us. You'll find people here who are happy to share their knowledge (and sometimes lack thereof), regardless of what someone is riding at present.

Thanks for all the replies, and the welcomes. And it's good to see that I'm not the only F.O.O.L (Fraternal Order of O-Linemen) member on the board. I've been researching for a while now, and I'm putting together what I hope is a decent rider development plan. I plan to take the Louisiana fifteen hour course in April. I want to start off-the-road practicing as soon and as often as possible after that. Luckily for me, summer starts in March and ends sometime around December in New Orleans, so there'll be plenty of long days for me to do just that. End of summer, I plan to take the MSF advanced course to see where I am. Pass YAY, fail: critique and go back at it. But I wouldn't even dream of being a traffic rider until I'm at least a 'seasoned rookie.'

One of the reasons I'd consider the 'Busa first was because in my shopping, I noticed a bunch of lightly-ridden GSXR's for sale, and from the 600 all the way up to the 'Busa, they're nearly the same price. With 'starter bikes' comparable in price, I'm trying to make a sound decision. After fifteen years in the trenches, my knees are far more of a factor than keeping my right hand from acting a fool, and the extra leg room may warrant the restraint if I'm not able to find something with comparable dimensions. Keep the advice coming, and I'll have pics as soon as I have a new addition.

I got myself a ZX12R as a training bike for 3 months. Put on 3K miles and dropped her once before I jumped onto a Busa. MSF is a must.

BusaPebbles first bike was a Ducati 996. Talk about a lot of bike for a beginner. I agree with the guys that say whatever you start with, take it easy. It is very easy for you to outride your ability on a 'Busa but that is no reason not to get one.

MSF Basic Rider Course is a must as well...

BusaPebbles first bike was a Ducati 996. Talk about a lot of bike for a beginner. I agree with the guys that say whatever you start with, take it easy. It is very easy for you to outride your ability on a 'Busa but that is no reason not to get one.

MSF Basic Rider Course is a must as well...

I learned very early that it's easy to outride your abilities on anything, regardless of how many wheels it has. I once saw the horizon pull a 180 in a '73 Vega SS, but that's another story for another time lol.

Also, anybody got any advice on where to get good big and tall riding gear?

I learned very early that it's easy to outride your abilities on anything, regardless of how many wheels it has. I once saw the horizon pull a 180 in a '73 Vega SS, but that's another story for another time lol.

Also, anybody got any advice on where to get good big and tall riding gear?

I just go to shops and try gear on that way I know what size for what brand.
Then I buy for cheap online unless It's a good deal at a local shop.
It's hard somtimes to get a good fit being 6'4 long arms big head you get the picture.

If you have never ridden, spend at least a few hours on something off road to get your instinctive side working. Wade in. However, buy the gen 2 busa & start in C mode in the 'Burbs & you will be ok if you don't get all "watch this" stuntin on da Busa in which case you will probably be hurt really really bad or die or something. 2 wheels is not just another car. That being said, I love my Busa & it is a superb & delightfull tool. I compare it to the bike that I learned on (Honda ct70) only about 190 more HP :laugh:

I would get something cheap myself to learn on. It never hurts to have an extra bike around too if you can keep two. Oh, and :welcome:

Go sit on some bikes, take the course, and get a bike you can afford to drop...:welcome:

Some good ideas !! Bandit, Katana are probably the way to go. The Busa "can" be a very tame bike UNDER 5,000 rpm, higher than that the Demon comes out !! I think in your case would be the only time I might say go ahead with the Busa, only because you sound afraid of it (RESPECT). But as said before, it is expensive if you go down, which in all honesty, you probably will, most likely at slow speeds. But on ANY current sportbike you can easliy do a buck fifty, so get one you like. I like the Katanas, but the Bandit don't have all the plastic (which is what is $$$$ when you drop it )

GOOD LUCK, and let us know what you go with, I'm sure your experience will help someone else !!

and Welcome !!!

It's not so much respecting the wrist on a Busa like people stated. Speed isn't always going to be a persons biggest down fall. Having a bike that is easier to handle in situations where low speed is involved pays off. Lets face it most people don't jump on a bike and go all out. They take their time at slower speeds. Which means a heavier bike is going to be harder to handle. Regardless of a persons size. Lots of people have what we referred to as "Dropped" their bike.

Going around a corner,starting,and stopping...

When you don't have the experience of what to expect(Bike surging,etc...) is when you most likely going to damage the bike and possible yourself. That's where some bikes become better starters then others. When someone has such a beautiful bike as a Busa they might sacrifice their well being to prevent damage to their ride. Ending up in more $$ then replacing damaged bodywork.

Being someone who is 40 I sure feel certain things waking up in the morning that I wonder If I could of avoided by not certain things I've done in my younger years. Bikes can be replaced,but you only have one body to work with your whole life until the end. Take all advantages preserve this. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
:welcome::welcome:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pBvuPQ7bAr5EzL7e7PXMBdg&hl=en

Names were removed to protect the innocent but these were all org members..

After you ride with people for 30 or more years, you can really tell who can really ride their bikes.. I have had the fun of meeting a few of these guys here on the org. (now if I could learn to keep up with them :) )

If you are just into cruising around and never really "leaning" on the bike.. You probably will not notice the fact that you do not have a clue of the bikes limits. If you stretch, lower or otherwise change the bike around, again you will likely never know the difference.

A lowered or stretched Busa just is not going to be a bike you can go out and play around in the corners with (contrary to what some of the lowered, stretched bike owners will tell you).. You get on a run with a few of the guys here that can actually push these bikes a bit and the problems become pretty obvious.. you might look like you are going fast but they will be half way through lunch by the time you catch up :laugh:

If you are going to really "ride" the bike, the busa is a terrible place to start.. You will never learn how to push this bike or any other to its limits and will probably get killed trying to on a hyperbike like the Busa.. You just want a bike to ride.. still better choices but be aware of your limits, failure to do so will get you hurt..

All the comments about "respecting" the speed or the "wrist"? kind of funny.. have you ever bought anything that floats, rides or flys that you did not push its limits? May as well go buy a cruiser with bags.. (I love them myself) but I bought a 180hp bike to use the hp myself.. (when safe anyway)

just my opin..

Last edited:
Lots of factors to consider when buying a first motorcycle.

1st thing that comes to mind for me:

(If you have never owned/ridden)
Buy a cheap used bike first. It is so easy to see a shiny new bike and fall in love with it. Especially if it is in the middle of riding season.

Ride this bike for 6-12 months. When you take the MSF course one of the statistics they will tell you is "99% of new riders will drop their bike within the first 6 months of ownership" if this happens on a cheap used bike, their will be less hurt to the pocket book, embarassment factor depends on who/how many people see it. Remember there are only two types of people who ride bike "those that have dropped them and those that will". This will happen. Imagine how it would hurt the pocket book on a brand new bike.

If you ride for awhile, the pretty days during the season are great, but you WILL get caught in the rain. I am sure that most members will agree with this, rain on a motorcycle is colder, wetter, and it can be very painful. And sometimes this makes a person no longer want to own a motorcycle. If you buy a brand new bike and in a few months decide you do not like it, you will loose your rearend in selling it.

As far as a Busa, I have 20+ years riding all different types of bikes I now Own a K8 (Orange/Black, Fastest colors bar none), I love the bike and wish I had bought one much sooner.

Food For thought.

I'm looking to buy my first bike, on the road to 'Busa ownership. I was looking for something safe enough to learn on, big enough that I don't look like a circus bear riding it (I'm a former offensive lineman, hovering in the 300-lb area), and with a similar peg-to-seat dimension as the 'Busa. I'lll be taking both the Louisiana State and MSF courses once it warms up, and I want something that I can put some serious practice time in on, and that won't kill my pockets The more I type, the more this wishlist sounds like a pipe dream, but I figures somebody could at least get me in the ball park. All suggestions are welcome.

like they all say, small and cheap.

If you like to excel later on, start with a sub 50hp motorcycle. Any brand will do, they may be slow(er), but will be confidence inspiring. You will learn riding techniques the right way. Then you are ready for anything. Other countries have a beginner-rule. You can only get a first license for a (typ 25hp) max displacement, or have age/experience rules. Me - I am 6 feet, 200 lbs, and I started on a 3 hp moped. I dropped that thing several times, we all did.

You can also start big and new, lots of people do it. I've noticed that they take much longer to drive with confidence and tend to build 'strange' driving skills. The heavier the motorcycle, the narrower the tolerances for error. You'll notice this right away on the parking lot and in the twisties. Freeways and expressways don 't require these handling skills. The skills that save your life are knowing how to swerve in an instant, emergency stopping, slowing down in corners, traffic anticipation, acceleration, lane choice, etc. Many of these are easier learned on lighter bikes because they are so much more foregiving.

As a reference, there is a famous you-tube video in which a group of (harley) riders come up on a slow driving car (filming) in a blind corner. The first two riders end up in the ditch. That, too me, says it all - they didn't anticipate blind corners and/or stopping wile turning.

Read up on some other boards, or spent time in google, I've noticed that smaller bikes have quite a following there, and having recently spent tim on a Ninja-250, I do understand why.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back