Engine swap engine temp issue

easportz

Registered
My temp needle is pegged at high even on a cold engine.
Back story:
Blew the motor (threw a rod), swapped my 05 engine for a nice '00 engine, did the 16 bit-32 bit swap (added new hoses and radiator) bike fires up, idles, seems to run well BUT the needle on the temp is maxed. I unplug the connection at the radiator- no change. Unplug the sensor under the air box/ fuel rail- no change...

Anyone? Ideas? Resets?

I add this, like all the guages, needles all go up back down. The temp needle then roses up and stays there. This is regardless of thermostat sensors or ecu being plugged in.

So you are running a '05 ECU,
'05 Wiring harness and gauges,
and a '00 engine with '05 flywheel and stator/pick up coil.
And you've switched the ECU harness connector pins as per the recommendations for compatibility?

Remember, you have a '05 harness, NOT an '00 harness so the pin reconfiguration should not be necessary . . .
you just fit the '00 engine to the bike and change over the flywheel, stator and coil pickup.
IF you were upgrading a '99 or '00 model bike to a 32 bit ECU you would need to reconfigure some of the connector pins due to having an early model harness and connecting to a '05 ECU.
This is all in theory... if anyone knows that this is incorrect and the pin reconfigure is necessary, please chime in.
I've personally never done this upgrade to 32 bit ECU from the early '99 or '00 16 bit, but that's all I can come up with re the temp gauge fault you have going on.

So. . . did you actually reconfigure the ECU connector pins?

I did swap the pins. I'm swap them back and see where I stand(after work)
(fly wheel was swapped)
It's just strange the temp gauge is the only thing screwing up and that's regardless of whether the ecu and and temp sensors being plugged in. (In that case, the pin swap shouldn't be affected, right? )
Could it be a ground? If so. Where?

Kiwi Rider I owe you a pint! You bailed it again. Good to go no more issue. Thanks so much homey!
So glad it worked out for you!
I get a lot out of being able to help out my Busa brothers (and sisters).
I try to use logic and think ‘outside of the box’ with issues like the one you faced here.
Enjoy your bike, you’re putting a lot into resurrecting the old Gen 1, my hat is off to you my friend!

Back