Hayabusa Choices

Looking at Cycletrader today, the listing price of the Gen3 new is $18,599
There are still some Gen2's available at $14,799

So if you had to walk into a store today and have to drop your wallet in cash at those prices, which one would it be?
That's a hard decision for sure...

Some would argue they could dicker with the older generation as it is something the dealer would want to move faster than the new bike...

Others would say $4k is $4k and go for the less expensive but still relevant bike...

That's a hard decision for sure...

Some would argue they could dicker with the older generation as it is something the dealer would want to move faster than the new bike...

Others would say $4k is $4k and go for the less expensive but still relevant bike...
Different opinions and different choices are what makes life interesting. Personally, I would probably buy the Gen3.

But that said, being the guy who looks at mine as an unmolested collection piece, almost in brand new condition, I am quite happy to hold onto my Gen2. I don't need the electronics, neither the Euro5 emissions. I am also past the stage of being competitive in the twisties or racing, just enjoy the ride every time.

This thread started me down a rabbit hole and I found this:
BusaBags1.png

BusaBags2.png

Are those saddlebags??

Link:

Honestly I can't see any issues with the gen 3...it uses lots of proven tech...

Pretty much all the electronic suite comes from the GSXR line and the power train is basically an updated gen 2 with fancy body work.
This^
and as most of you know I've been on and beaten on an '18 gsxr1000R since it was bought new in April '19.
The thing is bulletproof and the QS is awesome.
That instills alot of faith in the gen3 for me, as @Bumblebee said, the gen3 tech came from the gsxr's, and the base for all the mechanics was the gen2(which we know to be excellent).
Suzuki is also pretty tried and true, not alot of major issues you could really say about most any of their bikes.

Maybe I phrased that wrong aka no faith in suzuki. I do love them and will always ride them. I just havent got a ton of warm fuzzies from them and the gen3. You stated what I was getting at aka old platform used with new plastic and electrics.

I trust zuk just not their lack of effort on the gen3. In short i guess a little underwhelmed at the moment. Had hopes and dreams of a whole new monster.

Maybe I phrased that wrong aka no faith in suzuki. I do love them and will always ride them. I just havent got a ton of warm fuzzies from them and the gen3. You stated what I was getting at aka old platform used with new plastic and electrics.

I trust zuk just not their lack of effort on the gen3. In short i guess a little underwhelmed at the moment. Had hopes and dreams of a whole new monster.
I feel you on that...Suzuki went the safe route with the gen 3....it's build up was epic and the launch was less than dramatic....

If they put their minds to it, Suzuki could have came out swinging for the fences instead of bunting...

For what it is, the gen 3 is a fine bike, it looks good and has some decent features but as a hyper bike it sure falls short.
For 20 grand, I'de like a little more too.
What? I'm not sure yet.
I think we'll all have a much better idea after the ecu is unlocked.
Consider what you can build for $20k too.
$5k to $10k in a used bike, and money left over for a pipe, tune, suspension, bst's, and a few sets of tires.

For 20 grand, I'de like a little more too.
What? I'm not sure yet.
I think we'll all have a much better idea after the ecu is unlocked.
Consider what you can build for $20k too.
$5k to $10k in a used bike, and money left over for a pipe, tune, suspension, bst's, and a few sets of tires.
We sure are placing a lot of stock into the ECU being unlocked to turn this into the bike we expected it to be.

The engine has been set up for mid range with different cams and such, it would take more than an ECU flash to undo that. The last bike I had that was set up for mid range required a cam swap and extensive tuning to get it away from that.

We sure are placing a lot of stock into the ECU being unlocked to turn this into the bike we expected it to be.

The engine has been set up for mid range with different cams and such, it would take more than an ECU flash to undo that. The last bike I had that was set up for mid range required a cam swap and extensive tuning to get it away from that.
I agree with all of that.
As you know I'm basing it on the gsxr1000 with it's 147whp stock, and then 187whp with pipe, tune, flash, and stacks.
We know most of that power was already there too, just emissions had it so detuned.
If there's the same power hiding in the gen3, I think we're all gonna be really happy.

In the same breath as what I posted....the joys of aftermarket, tuning and general playing with the bike is what makes it fun....if it was ready to go from the factory, what would the fun be of that?

The Hayabusa platform has been playing catch up ever since the first ECU was locked.

@sixpack577 you and I were typing at the same time I think...

In the same breath as what I posted....the joys of aftermarket, tuning and general playing with the bike is what makes it fun....if it was ready to go from the factory, what would the fun be of that?

The Hayabusa platform has been playing catch up ever since the first ECU was locked.

@sixpack577 you and I were typing at the same time I think...
I keep telling you...great minds....
lmao

Looking at Cycletrader today, the listing price of the Gen3 new is $18,599 There are still some Gen2's available at $14,799 So if you had to walk into a store today and have to drop your wallet in cash at those prices, which one would it be?

Me?
Gen2.
Savings: exhaust, tune, wheels, radial m/c, insurance, reg, etc.
Plus, I’m more for the shape of the Gen2 over the 3 tbh

Back