Initial impressions of Gen 3 Busa and a few questions

Procrastinator

Registered
Hi All,

I own a silver Gen 3 Busa and it is almost time for its first service. Due to work commitments and other bikes I don't use the Busa as much as I would like. Having said that, I did a 400 mile trip last weekend that included a track day rider training session. It was a small track so I managed to keep the revs fairly low without any issues.

On the way back home I noticed that the throttle spring is quite stiff, and I ended up using the cruise control to get my forearms to recover which is not ideal. Just wondering if anyone else also faced this problem. My Kawasaki and BMW have a much lighter throttle and I've never had this problem before.

Admittedly I haven't ridden a bike with clipons in a while, my last sport tourer was a ZZR-1400/ZX-14R, and I am not sure if it is my imagination but the Busa's pegs are definitely a bit high. Do people use slightly lower foot pegs and bar risers to make their bikes more comfortable? For reference I am in my 40s so not exactly youthful :p

Last but not least, and this could well be because the bike is new and has not been run in yet, but the power delivery is not as snappy as I would like. There is plenty of power of course and the mid range is good but the delivery/punch is not as I was expecting. To be clear I am comparing it to my other bike which is a Z-H2 with a flashed ecu and a full race exhaust so probably not a fair comparison :D, but from memory (and this is subjective of course), my old Kawasaki 1400 (which was also flashed and derestricted) had an instant pull which seems to be missing from the Busa.

Perhaps once it has done another 500 miles maybe an ecu tune with all the crap EU restrictions removed and a full akra will change things. I'd be interested to know what other people's experiences are when it comes to an uncorked Busa vs a stock one with stock pipes.

Hi All,

I own a silver Gen 3 Busa and it is almost time for its first service. Due to work commitments and other bikes I don't use the Busa as much as I would like. Having said that, I did a 400 mile trip last weekend that included a track day rider training session. It was a small track so I managed to keep the revs fairly low without any issues.

On the way back home I noticed that the throttle spring is quite stiff, and I ended up using the cruise control to get my forearms to recover which is not ideal. Just wondering if anyone else also faced this problem. My Kawasaki and BMW have a much lighter throttle and I've never had this problem before.

Admittedly I haven't ridden a bike with clipons in a while, my last sport tourer was a ZZR-1400/ZX-14R, and I am not sure if it is my imagination but the Busa's pegs are definitely a bit high. Do people use slightly lower foot pegs and bar risers to make their bikes more comfortable? For reference I am in my 40s so not exactly youthful :p

Last but not least, and this could well be because the bike is new and has not been run in yet, but the power delivery is not as snappy as I would like. There is plenty of power of course and the mid range is good but the delivery/punch is not as I was expecting. To be clear I am comparing it to my other bike which is a Z-H2 with a flashed ecu and a full race exhaust so probably not a fair comparison :D, but from memory (and this is subjective of course), my old Kawasaki 1400 (which was also flashed and derestricted) had an instant pull which seems to be missing from the Busa.

Perhaps once it has done another 500 miles maybe an ecu tune with all the crap EU restrictions removed and a full akra will change things. I'd be interested to know what other people's experiences are when it comes to an uncorked Busa vs a stock one with stock pipes.
Someone here did changed the throttle spring… search the forum and you will find the thread.

Later edit

Here it is:

Post in thread 'Throttle positioning spring'
Throttle positioning spring | Gen 3 Busa Information

I feel lucky that one of the things I love about the Gen 3 is precisely the hard throttle spring. It feels satisfying to me compared to the really soft Kawasaki ones. I have small hands for a guy and tiny 6" wrists, and I've never had any fatigue at all from it.

Maybe it's because as a newbie almost 20 years ago I was taught to not grab the grip with my entire hand, but just throttle with my index and thumb while holding the end bar with the other three fingers. It feels odd to me grabbing the whole grip and throttling that way. :p

I installed Helibar risers on mine, two thumbs up from me. I installed lowering pegs on mine but ended up taking them off as soon as I sat on the bike. No throttle issues here, check the manual and make sure everything is in spec.
Great to know that Helibars works well. A quick Google suggests that they are easy to install which is always nice.

A lto of guys do run lowering pegs

as far as the punch I was slightly under whelmed with stock power delivery too, but a flash fixed that. Im a big fan of the BT moto stacks/flash.

Vote of confidence on BT Moto is always nice to hear. Out of interest what exhaust are you running on your bike?

I was thinking of going for an Akra 4-1 system as it looks nice and there is a 14 kilo weight loss which is not insignificant.

I am running a BT Moto flash on my Z-H2 and the bike is an absolute riot :D

Last edited:
Vote of confidence on BT Moto is always nice to hear. Out of interest what exhaust are you running on your bike?

I was thinking of going for an Akra 4-1 system as it looks nice and there is a 14 kilo weight loss which is not insignificant.

I am running a BT Moto flash on my Z-H2 and the bike is an absolute riot :D
Im currently running a full Ti Arata with their short can. I had an M4 Tech 1 (the long full carbon can) before and for a few weeks ran a Brocks Penta carbon lolol. The akra is nice, its just quiet for my liking.

Welcome from central Florida

I did Helibars and 40mm drop pegs, I like both mods a lot.

I haven’t noticed my throttle being stiff but I have big hands and forearms. I constantly use my cruise control because my hands go numb pretty quick, I probably have carpal tunnel.

As far as the punch I had 2 ZX11’s and I had to beg them to lift the front wheel, my gen 3 is not flashed and I can twist the throttle and up it comes and I weigh 250 pounds. I run in U3 mode with the lift control turned down to 1.

Great to know that Helibars works well. A quick Google suggests that they are easy to install which is always nice.

Yes, if in doubt, get them. Re install.. I first read the instructions with my morning coffee when I was about to install. The instructions are completely unnecessary. Remove shield and side “dash panels” under ur grips. Tape the tubes and get to work moving the bars back and forth. You need a 3/8” flex head ratchet with a skinny head and you will be done in no time. The one I grabbed when I saw the mission.

5FB8D422-F435-4947-85CB-5D89A32DEFC2.png

I went from a ZX14R to a Busa, first day riding away from the dealer I was like OMG, what have I done this is so slow but it was cold(February) and I was taking it real easy. Truth is the Busa reacts better low to mid range than the 14R, has a better suspension and significantly better electronics, the 14R absolutely kicks its ass at high rpms the Busa hits a wall and power tapers off, the 14R keeps pulling stronger and stronger.
Throttle wise it feels exactly the same as any bike I've ever owned (15+ of them) so it's worth checking what's wrong with yours.
Peg position, I read about this before buying and poop myself as I'm 50, 6ft 3 with screwed up knees BUT I've had no issues whatsoever with pegs or knees in the past 2 years so no need to lower them unless you have problems. All in, it's a better bike but I wish it had an additional 20hp up top.

Heilbars 1” riser are amazing for long road trips. I have set U1 to all nanny aids off big improvement for throttle response. 1st gear power on wheelies are too easy. 2nd gear with a bounce comes up so smooth. 5’ 10” 220lbs

I hate my throttle too, way to stiff and without cruise control any type of long riding feels impossible. I even asked my dealer if it could be adjusted and they told me no. I have a GSXR as well and its throttle feels 80% lighter.

I hate my throttle too, way to stiff and without cruise control any type of long riding feels impossible. I even asked my dealer if it could be adjusted and they told me no. I have a GSXR as well and its throttle feels 80% lighter.

Buy the lighter throttle spring
Post#4

I went from a ZX14R to a Busa, first day riding away from the dealer I was like OMG, what have I done this is so slow but it was cold(February) and I was taking it real easy. Truth is the Busa reacts better low to mid range than the 14R, has a better suspension and significantly better electronics, the 14R absolutely kicks its ass at high rpms the Busa hits a wall and power tapers off, the 14R keeps pulling stronger and stronger.
Throttle wise it feels exactly the same as any bike I've ever owned (15+ of them) so it's worth checking what's wrong with yours.
Peg position, I read about this before buying and poop myself as I'm 50, 6ft 3 with screwed up knees BUT I've had no issues whatsoever with pegs or knees in the past 2 years so no need to lower them unless you have problems. All in, it's a better bike but I wish it had an additional 20hp up top.
Yes I would agree with that assessment. The Busa is definitely bit more lively at lower revs but the zx14 was an animal after around 7k rpm.

I am told that there is give or take 20bhp to be gained by an ECU derestriction, fuel adjustment and a full exhaust. Something to plan for next year :-)

Back