PDX GSX1300R

IMG_0840.png

IMG_0839.png

And those old 750 Hondas were a big heavy brute of a thing too.....

Just under 500 pounds. I wanted a gold one but only a red was available. I went to the shop to buy a 450 and got a deal on the 750. $1,285, $1,610 OTD insured for a year! Hawdabeleeve I know. But that was 1970. Only the 69/70s were identical, flat top side covers is the easiest way to see the difference from later models. They had different carbs, a calmer cam and different gearing too. Like the 99/00 Hayabusas they were faster than later year models.

I was chasing around the forest roads the other day, rough roads / many shadows. Yeah, that big dip in the road surprised me. I got off the seat, but the forks bottomed with a "clank." No dents though.
It was the only major change I ever made on this machine, swap out the fork springs for a good set of progressives rated at my weight. I'll get that done soon on this new one. As for oil, I'll let them make the decision.

A friend of mine owns a Honda dealership and he took one for an errand...he came back telling the service guy to check it because it seemed to be lacking on power....

The salesman came to him and told him it was in gravel mode and to go try it again now that it was in sport mode....he said it was much more lively in that mode....it has a few different modes...

Hey guy, you get out from time to time, ever ridden this 101 loop? I’m

View attachment 1685415

thinking of adding it to my trip once I get to Astoria. The loop is about 480 miles. Any motels out there?

Hey boss!

If you're going to be in Astoria, I'd love to hook up with you. Great little town. Oregon 101 is pretty. Check out the sea lion cave near Florence. During the wild fire season, the air along the coast will be clear. The aquarium in Newport is nice. 101 is typically not a "fast" ride with mixed driveways and traffic. But the ocean views are great.

Astoria pics:

D3C70B7E-E413-4267-9145-A3F6462083D6-M.jpg

E572F12F-6B02-4D11-84CC-D45A5C047CA0-M.jpg

316C6BD4-1F6C-4BFF-9EEB-D2867B4B1935-M.jpg

6392E873-1B08-4535-B398-0951E145D7B6-M.jpg

The battery at Cape Disappointment is worth a look. 101 to Aberdeen is rural. Aberdeen is a "real town." It's been a decade since I drove around Olympic Park. Forks was a big deal during the "Twilight" vampire films as I recall. Port Angeles is a good layover. The town is based around the ferry to Victoria (worth the ferry ride if time permits). I believe that we stayed at The Port Angeles Inn. She's an older place, but if you get a water side room, the view is terrific. The ride out on Ediz Hook is worth the time. Sequim is a bit of a town. As I recall, the main charachter from "Boys in the Boat" was from there. Different times.

Ediz Hook pic:

IMG_7793-M.jpg

Heading back south, you have the option of staying on 101 or going to the Kitsap Peninsula. 101 remains rural. 3 will hook up to more urban areas. Port Gamble is interesting. If you're thinking about Seattle, there is a ferry in Bainbridge or Bremerton. Bremerton and Gig Harbor are nice.

Seattle pics:

IMG_0928-M.jpg

IMG_0931-M.jpg

FullSizeRender-M.jpg

Finally, I'm in Vancouver, WA if you are passing through.

Everywhere 20 miles east of 101 is in triple digits so I won’t venture inland and Seattle is out. The last thing I’d want to do is visit a high population area. I’m staying in Florence tuesday night before heading farther north. Still planning, thanks.

Back