PDX GSX1300R

Other that a fantastic ride in May, this summer has pretty much been a bust for riding. And here we are knocking on fall weather. I get frustrated when stuff sits around.

You know how in life sometimes there are momentous "fork in the road" decisions. Oddly yesterday there were three: The wife and I agreed to see a marriage counselor, she is going to quit her toxic job (makes 50% more than I do) and I am going to keep the 1300 a while longer.

She's in pretty good shape and is usually reliable. The Suzuki isn't bad either...

Other that a fantastic ride in May, this summer has pretty much been a bust for riding. And here we are knocking on fall weather. I get frustrated when stuff sits around.

You know how in life sometimes there are momentous "fork in the road" decisions. Oddly yesterday there were three: The wife and I agreed to see a marriage counselor, she is going to quit her toxic job (makes 50% more than I do) and I am going to keep the 1300 a while longer.

She's in pretty good shape and is usually reliable. The Suzuki isn't bad either...

I agree on the weather, it's been the same here.
I havn't missed riding at all for over 2 months, as it has been miserable riding weather, a drought and still super hot at 3am, and then it was back to normal...super hot and steam bath humidity.
The last week it has been really nice though, and I've been trying to get my Goldwing done so I can enjoy it, before the cold comes back.
I've been to those forks in the road before as well. I got divorced over 3 years ago, after 14 years of marriage and 19 together.
I swore off all future relationships with women after, to simplify life, lol(really).
Next thing I know, I went on a date, then again, and again, and after 2 years of that, I married her about 4 months ago...best relationship I've ever had.
I sold a few bikes over the years too, and sometimes out of need vs choice.
But, I'm happy that I have a bike that I can ride now('18 gsxr1k), and that my GW will be done soon, as it's always nice to have something to escape on, even if only for an hour or two, and even if it sits on a battery tender for a long time, as my bikes did that for quite a while when my now 13 year old daughter was young.
Regardless, whatever happens, I wish you well in life sir.

I agree on the weather, it's been the same here.
I havn't missed riding at all for over 2 months, as it has been miserable riding weather, a drought and still super hot at 3am, and then it was back to normal...super hot and steam bath humidity.
The last week it has been really nice though, and I've been trying to get my Goldwing done so I can enjoy it, before the cold comes back.
I've been to those forks in the road before as well. I got divorced over 3 years ago, after 14 years of marriage and 19 together.
I swore off all future relationships with women after, to simplify life, lol(really).
Next thing I know, I went on a date, then again, and again, and after 2 years of that, I married her about 4 months ago...best relationship I've ever had.
I sold a few bikes over the years too, and sometimes out of need vs choice.
But, I'm happy that I have a bike that I can ride now('18 gsxr1k), and that my GW will be done soon, as it's always nice to have something to escape on, even if only for an hour or two, and even if it sits on a battery tender for a long time, as my bikes did that for quite a while when my now 13 year old daughter was young.
Regardless, whatever happens, I wish you well in life sir.

Thx boss.

I don't like to see marriages fail and going to a counsellor is a good step to saving it....

Keeping your bike is the right move....take a look at what kind of effort it would be to replace it and even if you aren't riding it too often, it owes you nothing.

I once had a garage full of what I would call pretty cool bikes and all of them sold really, really (too) fast...it was hard to see them go but worse to look at them languishing in the garage....so I feel you.

Hang in there.....

Last edited:
I don't like to see marriages fail and going to a counsellor is a good step to saving it....

Keeping your bike is the right move....take a look at what kind of effort it would be to replace it and even if you aren't riding it too often, it owes you nothing.

I once had a garage full of what I would call pretty cool bikes and all of them sold really, really (too) fast...it was hard to see them go but worse to look at them languishing in the garage....so I fell you.

Hang in there.....

Thx boss. This too shall pass.

Besides, what kind of girl is going to want to hang out with a middle-aged dude with no Hayabusa anyway...

I hope you both can find the way to spark things up and make it work. Im a newbie at only 10months into marriage so can’t give any advice on that but, still hate to see relationships end.
As for the bike sell, don’t do it!! I’m sure you can find something to work on it during the cold
Months to distract you from the stress of life.

I hope you both can find the way to spark things up and make it work. Im a newbie at only 10months into marriage so can’t give any advice on that but, still hate to see relationships end.
As for the bike sell, don’t do it!! I’m sure you can find something to work on it during the cold

Welcome to the club boss!

I tried to have a conversation with the neighbor kid at his high school graduation open house, with a hand shake and a "Welcome to the club." I went on to explain that men are only human and that he was now part of a fraternity of guys that are there for each other. We will never know it all. We will all make mistakes. But we can reach out when things get tough and that's important. His dad was appreciative. I don't think he got it.

You guys rock.

Yeah...like another bike!
lol

Relationships are always tricky things. It sounds like you have taken a solid step forward, now just follow through. I hope it all works out positively for you. Definitely keep the bike as it can provide a much needed way to get away from things, as you know.

You know how some of the NASCAR tracks have high-banked corners? The other day I went into a slower speed corner with a lot of banking like that. I just kept on leaning until, at some point near the exit, I realized I was a bit disoriented. Weird. I've always had low blood pressure. Maybe I held my breath. I was WAY over... (So awesome!!)
Out in the middle of nowhere on the road I normally ride lives a left right set of banked corners....they are awesome go through at speed but before I do, I ride through slowly to check for gravel as cars cut the corner a bit and spit gravel out onto the road sometimes....

Out in the middle of nowhere on the road I normally ride lives a left right set of banked corners....they are awesome go through at speed but before I do, I ride through slowly to check for gravel as cars cut the corner a bit and spit gravel out onto the road sometimes....

Big trucks do that often here...gotta love the riding on marbles feeling ripping through a curve...

Fall is coming. And wet leaves. Sigh...

Worth the trouble to update to a Gen 2 radial mount front end? Asking for a friend...

Better brakes are worth it.
The Gen2 calipers are better than the Gen1's, but still nothing special, and neither are the ABS factory Brembos, but still an upgrade.
There are adapter kits too, vs new forks or fork legs.
The Gen2 master cylinder is also axial like the Gen1, and no better.
I'de buy an aftermarket Brembo mc before I upgraded the calipers, a better bang for your buck upgrade, one that you will really notice, and a simple bolt it on and bleed it.

Better brakes are worth it.
The Gen2 calipers are better than the Gen1's, but still nothing special, and neither are the ABS factory Brembos, but still an upgrade.
There are adapter kits too, vs new forks or fork legs.
The Gen2 master cylinder is also axial like the Gen1, and no better.
I'de buy an aftermarket Brembo mc before I upgraded the calipers, a better bang for your buck upgrade, one that you will really notice, and a simple bolt it on and bleed it.
Or retrofit a gen3 master on the gen1. The master is what makes the biggest difference and, even though this gen3 doesn’t have a brembo rcs, it sure feels great compared to my stock gen2.

Loved this bike. Never thought I would own a "real" sport bike. As I recall, I saw 135 at one point.

Money was so tight back then. Scraping for every dollar. Didn't last long.

scan00017.jpg

Back