Should I get a Hayabusa as my first bike?

Should I get a Hayabusa as my first bike? -

• After reading your post below, I think you'll be alright if you get one.

Votes: 79 100.0%

• Total voters

damon_Z

Registered
Yes, I know about the sticky up top and read most of the first three pages.  It's very good information, but I want specific opinions based on my information below.  Please read.
-----------------------------------
This is my first post.  Please let me introduce myself and the reason why I created this thread.  I'm a 30-year-old, slim, athletic, 5'6", 142 lb., Filipino male.  I work out in the athletic club on a daily basis and I love to strengthen my legs by frequently hitting the squat rack and doing split squats and lunges.  I'm the original owner of a 2002 Camaro Z28 and a 2006 Pontiac GTO.  I've never gotten a speeding ticket on either car as I'm a very mature driver and, these days, I just like to conserve fuel by driving no faster than the posted speed limit on the highway.  I'm thinking about buying a brand-new, 2008 Hayabusa as my first bike for two reasons:

1.  I want to look good and I think the Hayabusa is the most beautiful-looking motorcycle in the planet.
2.  I want to get much better fuel economy in the city.  (Currently, I'm only getting 16 MPG and 17 MPG in the GTO and Z28 respectively.)  I want this motorcycle as my daily driver.  ( I will NOT consider any other motorcycle!)

My goal is not to be a professional bike racer or to drive the bike as fast as possible in any direction.  I basically want to go from point A to point B while looking good and getting better fuel economy in almost every day of the week.  To minimize any harm done from any accident, I want to maintain the proper disciplines:

1. Drive no faster than the posted speed limit--especially in the highway so that I can conserve fuel.
2. Wear full protective gear at all times.
3. Minimize night-time driving.
4. Eliminate driving past 10:00 PM to avoid the drunk drivers.

I will also take the Motorcycle Safety Driving Program.  I just have a question with that: should I practice on a motorcycle first before taking the class or can a 100%, true beginner take the class and succeed?

I understand that I will not be utilizing the full capabilities of the motorcyle, but like I said above, that isn't my goal.  Anyway, I need some opinions.  Based on the info above, how successful do you think I will be with a Hayabusa as my first ever motorcyle?  Thank you in advance for the opinion.

Welcome to the .oRg! great people here....

does not matter what the information is you posted IMO

Busa makes a fine "beginner" bike...

wheres my picture at?....

Got some time before you can buy a brand new one anyway. Sounds like a rhetorical question though since it appears you have made up your mind! Remember accidents happen not just from trying to use all the power and capabilities of a bike and can be just as costly. Seems like you are taking the right precautions, but be very careful.

Only thoughts that come to mind are that if you drop a pricey bike, it's pricey to fix it...

My Busa was my first sport bike and that was after only 2000 miles on a Harley, so I did it and I know others out there can make the Busa a first good bike too...just know the limits and don't worry about impressing others while you're out there learning...

Most important aspect of any riding, and you covered this - WEAR THE PROPER GEAR!!! Always...

Have fun and welcome to the oRg cool.gif

Its not the bike that will kill ya its the rider! If you ride it like a 250cc its pretty much a 250cc via weight! Have fun and they are really nice looking bikes!

If you follow all the advice you gave yourself, you'll do fine.

welcome.gif to the B .oRg! Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.. coolold.gif

welcome.gif to the board. lots of self control and you should be fine, remember it can frighten the shid out of you . rofl.gif if you let it beerchug.gif

found my picture..
post-6-90414-reap.jpg

The Busa is my first bike...but its not the first time I've ever ridden a bike. One thing's for sure.....when you feel like being stupid and that little voice says,"don't"l; then don't. Trust me thumb_up.gif

go for it, we're always looking for spare parts
I have no idea why people post BS like this.. Not to sound like an A$$ but I do seem to see a few riders on this forum this year "making spare parts" that have riden for years and years. When they go down I don't see people throwing up that garbage or posting some damn grim reaper in their posts. Why not show the same respect to new people no matter what your opinion is?

I would think a simple "IMHO I would not buy a hayabusa as a 1st bike" then list some reasons would more than get your point accross without sounding like a complete A$$hat to a potential new member.

Having said that my take is...

1.) I just got done AGAIN taking the rider safety course. It is kind of hard not to pass even if you have never even seen a bike before. Well the class I took with 2 buddies that is. Ohio now has a mobil unit with bikes and everything. The instructers are great and you should really try to listen to everything they tell ya. It might save your life down the road.

2.) GET GEAR. You can't control what you do 100% of the time let alone somebody in the car next to ya.

3.) If you do what you posted above, I would think a Hayabusa would be fine. IMHO I would judge this decision more on the riders mental capacity than the bike he/she is riding. The bike needs respect just like ANY sportbike. If you don't show it respect it will bite you for it.

But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.... hello.gif

if you have patience, respect, coordination and are safe...you should be fine, otherwise get something you can practice on for awhile, good luck brother!

You asked for opinions, so here it is. Your post, while you say you are only getting it for looks shows alot of ego. Alot of ego usually results in getting in over your head. Getting in over your head on a Busa will get you hurt.

As VABusa pointed out, even dropping a Busa in the driveway is an expensive repair. While you're learning to do things with a bike, having to ballance 500 # is not as easy as having to ballance 250 #. So the probability of a driveway drop is greater. I had a friend who's been riding 150s for 5 years drop my Bandit infront of my house because it was heavier than he was used to.

You asked for opinions, so here it is.  Your post, while you say you are only getting it for looks shows alot of ego.  Alot of ego usually results in getting in over your head.  Getting in over your head on a Busa will get you hurt.

As VABusa pointed out, even dropping a Busa in the driveway is an expensive repair.  While you're learning to do things with a bike, having to ballance 500 # is not as easy as having to ballance 250 #.  So the probability of a driveway drop is greater.  I had a friend who's been riding 150s for 5 years drop my Bandit infront of my house because it was heavier than he was used to.
+1

lower cowlings are 575.00 ea. nose 472.00

you know the gsx 600's look good too. and are easier to maneauver.

but regargless welcome.gif

I have no idea why people post BS like this.. Not to sound like an A$$ but I do seem to see a few riders on this forum this year "making spare parts" that have riden for years and years. When they go down I don't see people throwing up that garbage or posting some damn grim reaper in their posts. Why not show the same respect to new people no matter what your opinion is?

I would think a simple "IMHO I would not buy a hayabusa as a 1st bike" then list some reasons would more than get your point accross without sounding like a complete A$$hat to a potential new member.

1.) I just got done AGAIN taking the rider safety course. It is kind of hard not to pass even if you have never even seen a bike before. Well the class I took with 2 buddies that is. Ohio now has a mobil unit with bikes and everything. The instructers are great and you should really try to listen to everything they tell ya. It might save your life down the road.

2.) GET GEAR. You can't control what you do 100% of the time let alone somebody in the car next to ya.

3.) If you do what you posted above, I would think a Hayabusa would be fine. IMHO I would judge this decision more on the riders mental capacity than the bike he/she is riding. The bike needs respect just like ANY sportbike. If you don't show it respect it will bite you for it.

Thanks for the info on the rider safety course. I hope the instructors are as great here in New Jersey. How often can you take it?

how many fatal bike wrecks have you been around? How many friends have you put in the ground... how many years of riding do you have?

I could give a flying crap about being PC when it comes to guys getting in way over their head and no one has the ballz to tell them they are making a mistake and what they are doing is allowing their nutbag to determine the bike they ride...

In my rather un-scientific studies, I am finding more and more of the crashes are by guys with little experience on lesser bikes...

So theres your BS reason... bloody road ways gross me out....

back to your ego stroking...

Back