Should I get a Hayabusa as my first bike?

Should I get a Hayabusa as my first bike? -

• After reading your post below, I think you'll be alright if you get one.

Votes: 79 100.0%

• Total voters
I got a 2008 busa after owning a kawasaki ZZR-600 for four months.
The busa handles much better than my 600 did.

Im very glad I got the busa, i dont think i could have made a better choice. beerchug.gif

You asked for opinions, so here it is.  Your post, while you say you are only getting it for looks shows alot of ego.  Alot of ego usually results in getting in over your head.  Getting in over your head on a Busa will get you hurt.

As VABusa pointed out, even dropping a Busa in the driveway is an expensive repair.  While you're learning to do things with a bike, having to ballance 500 # is not as easy as having to ballance 250 #.  So the probability of a driveway drop is greater.  I had a friend who's been riding 150s for 5 years drop my Bandit infront of my house because it was heavier than he was used to.
Nope, no ego here. Wanting to look good and acting like a punk are two different things. In fact, I resent ego behaviors especially from drivers who drive the same cars as me. And that's why I never do the immature burnouts and the quick bursts of acceleration. Ego behaviors also waste gas. Definitely not the way to go.

go for it, we're always looking for spare parts
I have no idea why people post BS like this.. Not to sound like an A$$ but I do seem to see a few riders on this forum this year "making spare parts" that have riden for years and years. When they go down I don't see people throwing up that garbage or posting some damn grim reaper in their posts. Why not show the same respect to new people no matter what your opinion is?

I would think a simple "IMHO I would not buy a hayabusa as a 1st bike" then list some reasons would more than get your point accross without sounding like a complete A$$hat to a potential new member.

Having said that my take is...

1.) I just got done AGAIN taking the rider safety course. It is kind of hard not to pass even if you have never even seen a bike before. Well the class I took with 2 buddies that is. Ohio now has a mobil unit with bikes and everything. The instructers are great and you should really try to listen to everything they tell ya. It might save your life down the road.

2.) GET GEAR. You can't control what you do 100% of the time let alone somebody in the car next to ya.

3.) If you do what you posted above, I would think a Hayabusa would be fine. IMHO I would judge this decision more on the riders mental capacity than the bike he/she is riding. The bike needs respect just like ANY sportbike. If you don't show it respect it will bite you for it.

But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.... hello.gif
Thanks for the info on the rider safety course.  I hope the instructors are as great here in New Jersey.  How often can you take it?
I would say you could take it as often as you like. In my area they are $25 a pop but do provide a motorcycle. They also advanced classes. I don't think you will get it that cheap in New Jersey but... Check out THIS site for some more info.

Hope that helps you out.

bottom line:

these threads are always started by someone that has already made the decision.. They are simply looking for some back patting and someone to qualify their decision..

They always get it

They also get opposing view points that others will scoff at or complain about..

I have had the fortune of riding with a number of people that admit to the Busa as a first bike... it shows and most have dropped their bikes on more than one occasion...

Good luck all the same..

wanting to look good = Ego (or did I miss something?) I ride for fun and pleasure, could care less what I look like and you will never see me "cruising bike nights" flashing my bling ding... Rather be at the race track myself smile.gif

I have no idea why people post BS like this.. Not to sound like an A$$ but I do seem to see a few riders on this forum this year "making spare parts" that have riden for years and years. When they go down I don't see people throwing up that garbage or posting some damn grim reaper in their posts. Why not show the same respect to new people no matter what your opinion is?

I would think a simple "IMHO I would not buy a hayabusa as a 1st bike" then list some reasons would more than get your point accross without sounding like a complete A$$hat to a potential new member.

1.) I just got done AGAIN taking the rider safety course. It is kind of hard not to pass even if you have never even seen a bike before. Well the class I took with 2 buddies that is. Ohio now has a mobil unit with bikes and everything. The instructers are great and you should really try to listen to everything they tell ya. It might save your life down the road.

2.) GET GEAR. You can't control what you do 100% of the time let alone somebody in the car next to ya.

3.) If you do what you posted above, I would think a Hayabusa would be fine. IMHO I would judge this decision more on the riders mental capacity than the bike he/she is riding. The bike needs respect just like ANY sportbike. If you don't show it respect it will bite you for it.

how many fatal bike wrecks have you been around? How many friends have you put in the ground... how many years of riding do you have?

I could give a flying crap about being PC when it comes to guys getting in way over their head and no one has the ballz to tell them they are making a mistake and what they are doing is allowing their nutbag to determine the bike they ride...

In my rather un-scientific studies, I am finding more and more of the crashes are by guys with little experience on lesser bikes...

So theres your BS reason...   bloody road ways gross me out....

back to your ego stroking...
lol and you think a picture of a Grim Reaper is going to scare a grown man into not buying a bike? The guy is not in pre-school for christ sakes.

I have seen people go down 1st hand, I have personally seen a friend (who rode bikes his whole life) hit a guard rail and I had to call his wife and family to let them know he was lost.

It seems that there are more people who think this guy should buy the bike then don't at this point. But for future ref...

If you are new to this forum and never rode a bike. PLEASE for the love of God do not ask if you should buy a Hayabusa. Ask something about tires, Nitro vs Turbo, gas grades, brakes, spark plugs, or anything other than this... laugh.gif

how many fatal bike wrecks have you been around? How many friends have you put in the ground... how many years of riding do you have?

I could give a flying crap about being PC when it comes to guys getting in way over their head and no one has the ballz to tell them they are making a mistake and what they are doing is allowing their nutbag to determine the bike they ride...

In my rather un-scientific studies, I am finding more and more of the crashes are by guys with little experience on lesser bikes...

So theres your BS reason...   bloody road ways gross me out....

back to your ego stroking...
lol and you think a picture of a Grim Reaper is going to scare a grown man into not buying a bike? The guy is not in pre-school for christ sakes.

I have seen people go down 1st hand, I have personally seen a friend (who rode bikes his whole life) hit a guard rail and I had to call his wife and family to let them know he was lost.

It seems that there are more people who think this guy should buy the bike then don't at this point. But for future ref...

If you are new to this forum and never rode a bike. PLEASE for the love of God do not ask if you should buy a Hayabusa. Ask something about tires, Nitro vs Turbo, gas grades, brakes, spark plugs, or anything other than this...   laugh.gif
laugh.gif I would rather see a thread about oil choice. These will always get the exact same response.

I do hope you stick around just so you can atleast show us that YOU can do it. thumb_up.gif

laugh.gif

Go for it...just take it easy.

What ever happened to that guy in Ill.?? that got that black Busa and fell in the snow/ice? Anyone heard from him?

"1. I want to look good and I think the Hayabusa is the most beautiful-looking motorcycle in the planet.
2. I want to get much better fuel economy in the city. (Currently, I'm only getting 16 MPG and 17 MPG in the GTO and Z28 respectively.) I want this motorcycle as my daily driver. ( I will NOT consider any other motorcycle!)"

Wrong reasons.

Buy a used beater, and learn on it. After developing some road/bike skills, get whatever bike lights your fire. You'll appreciate a quality machine more that way, and probably avoid some massive expenses in repairs to the bike, and yourself.

Lots of peeps were thinking it, I just had the b@ll$ to say it.

super.gif PM -->
Mr Bogus @ May 30 2008 said:
1433894[/ATTACH] PM]
I have had the fortune of riding with a number of people that admit to the Busa as a first bike... it shows and most have dropped their bikes on more than one occasion...
Well I really didn't want to get into this but heres what I think about that. What I learned at the MSF class was that all bikes ride the same. Meaning, the concept of riding the bike is basically the same whether its 1300 or a 600. The only difference really is the weight (and some other minor things). So if you ride with these guys that 'show' that the busa is their first bike, then maybe they just flat out don't know how to ride? Try pointing them to a near by MSF class.

And to the people who think its too fast of a bike to start with, so? The rider doesn't HAVE to floor it the minute he buys it tounge.gif

super.gif

this is a forum and opinions are what you get. Some people use more tact, some use less.
No right or wrong, when you ask for opinions you get them.
I tend to agree with Mr. Bogus, most people wanting to purchase a Busa for a "first motorcycle" will do it regardless of any post on the org.
Buying any motorcycle should not be taken lightly.
Learning to ride should be a gradual process and working your way up is a sound idea.
no one skips going to school until they are 18 and enter collage with no education.
no one wanting to fly aircraft starts in an F-16.
Starting out on a Busa is not a sound decision.
MSF BRC and ERC classes are very good and should be taken.
They are not going to prepare you to ride a superbike.
starting out on a smaller motorcycle and graduating up over time is the most logical and practical choice.
statistics are alarming.
over 90% of motorcycle crashes result in injury to the rider.
most new riders crash within the first 6 months.
sport bike (new riders) make a claim within 8 hrs.
If buying a motorcycle for gas mileage is your only reason, buy a hybrid car. They get better mileage than large displacement motorcycles.
If looking cool is the motivation - can't comment without offending someone.
be careful, make a sound decision, take safety classes, buy and wear the best gear you can find.

good luck

welcome.gif I learned a lot about street riding, with my first bike, mostly by reading any books or magazine articles I could get my hands on. Of course that is all much easier now with the web (yeah, I've been at this for a long time).

I would definitely get into a motorcycle safety class, before you start off practicing.

The BUSA is pretty heavy for a starter. If you have the cash, I would get a lighter bike to practice on and learn how to survive in traffic, first. Maybe get it at the same time as the BUSA. Even use it for a couple months, then switch over.

Hope this helps you.

If all you want is to look good and get good mileage while driving the speed limit, the Busa isn't a good first bike for you. A Ninja 250/500 would be a better first choice as a starter. Cheaper too.

A Busa for a first bike is not a smart decision. Can it be done? Sure. The analogy that someone else used about airplanes is really appropriate. Someone learning to fly NEVER starts out in a Jet of any kind. Someone learning to race cars is not going to hope into a NASCAR or Indy Car after three days of Drivers Education. A Salesmen at a bike dealer on the Northside of Indy sold some 21 year old their first bike, a Hayabusa. The kids Uncle was the one telling him that he could handle it. Two weeks later the kid was dead. The Salesmen from what I heard, no longer sells bikes and has nitemares about the poor kid. At 145 Lbs, the bike is simply too big for you to start with no matter how many squats you do. The people on here advising you against it are not saying that because they don't want you to own one, they are saying it because they know what they are talking about and care enough to take the time to type it on here.

Do whatever you want as I for one don't think your smart enough to take the advice you claim to be seeking.

Welcome to the org and I have dibs on your mirrors!

Back