Who's faster in the twisties? Sports Car or Motorcycle

What level of performance car are we allowing?
I consider sport bikes highly modified cruisers designed for performance and speed.
What level of car are we talking about because I think you'd have to spend hundreds of thousands on either an exotic or a race car just to keep up with a Gixxer 1k.

The Isle of Man point is good. I can't see any car on the face of this planet keeping up with those guys?

Checking lap records at famous tracks is also a good point. We need to compare MotoGp times to Formula One times because they do race on same tracks. Check that in a bit.

Top Gear covered this. Cars win. It comes down to equal traction, slightly faster acceration of go bikes vs F1 cars, BUT, the bikes take more time to change direction. To go from hard left to hard right, for instance, requires that the bike return to.upright from.full lean then back.to full lean in the opposite direction. A car simply turns the wheel. There is almost no lateral lean change.

Pole times from the two British Grands Prix last year:

MotoGP - two minutes 2.020 seconds (Casey Stoner, Honda)
F1 - one minute 30.399 seconds (Mark Webber, Red Bull-Renault)

:moon:

cheers
ken

This is simply a question of physics in the context of given variables. In any given set of variables, what is the maximum speed at which the vehicle can be driven/ridden without losing control. Now allwe need is a physicist to do the analysis! :)

IMHO (and I'm not a physicist), I would say that the car gets it. It is, how do you say, Bugatti Veyron? Yes? :laugh:

That said, in the real world, you simply have to set the variables...the first two of which are WHICH bike and WHICH car? And that's just for starters.

These are the questions that keep us up nights. :)

I've seen it go both ways, it depends on the track, once where pure power to weight is concerned with plenty of room for speed the bike will win. Plenty of room for the car to entry and apex, the car will win. A slalom course is the most telling that it's the venue that counts. I could skin a Vette or Ferrari with my wife's Ninja 250 simply cause the bike only has to move side to side two feet vs. the car having to move nearly ten.

When I was at the dragon in September, I met a guy from Florida that had a green Lotus and it was set up just for curves, he took me for a ride in it at night down 28 past the Dam...no lie, we did at one point when I was brave enough to look.... 68 mph through those TIGHT curves and still accelerating ...Un REAL :thumbsup: He told me he goes FASTER when he's by himself ....no tire slide ...no screeching...no leaning ...tires Iv'e never seen before and a big rear diffuser .If he would have told me it could just about do 80 through the Dragon ,I would have just smiled and said (okay) But after the ride :thumbsup:

It can be endlessly argued by armchair street guys whether bikes or cars corner faster and it makes for good chat at the local bar.

However, the undisputable answer is easy to establish. Simply look up the record times at each individual tracks world wide and the certified lap times of the fastest car as well as the fastest bike will tell the story. No opinions needed, eh? :dunno:

But the cars are faster, and can turn faster!:rofl:
They just run slower lap times.
I guess the bikes make up for the slow turning somewhere.:laugh:

Pole times from the two British Grands Prix last year:

MotoGP - two minutes 2.020 seconds (Casey Stoner, Honda)
F1 - one minute 30.399 seconds (Mark Webber, Red Bull-Renault)

:moon:

cheers
ken

Good one.
But , now take that F1 to the IOM. Do you think a car any car could manage faster times thru those streets?

Good one.
But , now take that F1 to the IOM. Do you think a car any car could manage faster times thru those streets?

A formula 1 car i sure do, I believe the formula 1 car will have to slow more than a bike at hill crest but those car accelerate faster than a bike, can brake harder an later, have more top speed than any bike I have seen racing at IOM. Formula one car would have no trouble straightening out those sweepers in the mountains , no doubt in my mind who would have a quicker time with the 220 mph top speed those guys run.:laugh:

I'm pretty sure I could do the dragon faster in my Z4 M roadster than the busa. I've had both on it multiple times. The M seems to be made for tight roads like that as it is nimble, sticks like glue, has great brakes, and has more power than most of the other cars that handle as well. My camaro will dust it up on the skyway and the busa will walk away from both on any road where you get a chance to really accelerate. Alas, the camaro and the busa for right now are gone. All are fun, though.

I went to several F1 races when i lived in Detroit. They are crazy fast. But F1 cars are not a fair comparison because they have close to the same power to weight ratio a bike does and are higher tech than even MotoGp bikes. With an equal pwr to wgt ratio I would take 4 wheels over 2 anytime.

For regular showroom street cars & bikes though, a bike has a huge advantage in accelleration and can turn pretty well. Not many cars can keep up with a good liter bike. If a track had the turns spaced right maybe a car could get close. But think about it you need a full on drag car to match/beat a good liter bike in near stock trim, but you can't turn a drag car.

I learned this by almost by death when I was young on a GSXR750 when a porsche turbo whale tail wanted to play..
Well long story short he passed me on the inside lane at 140+ as I started losing rear tire traction in a turn causing me to get over into the shoulder of the highway.. since then I dont challenge porshes in high speed turns...
Tire contact patch of 2 tires of 24+inches of rubber VS my maybe 3.5 inches... I'm out I will catch you on the straight away.

well I just looked up our local track and a Jag. ran a 58.8 while the fastest bike I could find was a 1:07. they are both club racers with better than average tunes and skills. that's about as equal as I could think to compare and the car won. as much as I want the bikes to be faster I think if you can get them equal the car will win. if I look at the open wheeled club guys they are running 54's.

I learned this by almost by death when I was young on a GSXR750 when a porsche turbo whale tail wanted to play..
Well long story short he passed me on the inside lane at 140+ as I started losing rear tire traction in a turn causing me to get over into the shoulder of the highway.. since then I dont challenge porshes in high speed turns...
Tire contact patch of 2 tires of 24+inches of rubber VS my maybe 3.5 inches... I'm out I will catch you on the straight away.

Reminds me of back in 03 on my 02 gsxr1000!
Holding a steady 160mph (by speedo) entering an empty 1.5 mile straight stretch, something caught my eye in the mirror, as it was gaining on me! I held my speed and waited...a new 03 Porsche 911 turbo!
We had now about less than a quarter mile left before a left curve that I didn't care to take any faster.
Then all straight and about another 1/4 mile, a blind rise in the road, and another mile of slight downhill straight.
I had just came from that way and knew that as soon as we topped the rise in the road, that a state trooper was in the median! I had let the Porsche pass and get ahead by about 8 cars...because I knew this:laugh:
I braked down to around 100(65mph zone, still no traffic), only to top the rise and see the trooper had a minivan pulled on the right shoulder(about a 1/4 mile ahead), literally just a few feet past the exit I was taking.
God bless the Porsche driver because he didn't let up a bit:laugh:
He past the trooper so fast(I'm guessing 175+mph, and with one empty lane seperating them)that he blew his hat off his head!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I really almost lost it laughing! The trooper jumped back and forth watching his hat blow down the highway, looking at the porsche, taking a half step toward his car, and looking at the much slower me darting up the exit.
I caught just enough of him as I went out of sight to see him go back to writing his ticket!(guess he got the hat after:rofl:)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:Thanks for bringing back one of those old memories that had to be seen to be belived.:thumbsup:

It can be endlessly argued by armchair street guys whether bikes or cars corner faster and it makes for good chat at the local bar.

However, the undisputable answer is easy to establish. Simply look up the record times at each individual tracks world wide and the certified lap times of the fastest car as well as the fastest bike will tell the story. No opinions needed, eh? :dunno:

Exactly. Specify the car, the bike and the track.

For example, comparing F1 cars to MotoGP bikes, the bikes tend to have greater acceleration (due to better power to weight ratio) but the cars are generally able to brake later, carry more speed into the corners. The result? Faster lap times for the F1's. In terms of physics, I think cars have it. Anyone know of a motorcyle that can pull 3 G's in a turn? :laugh:

Back