2nd Gear problems

2nd Gear problems - How many of us with busa have had it?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 177 100.0%

• Total voters
my 01' was bullet proof and my 08' is having problems with second gear. i swear suzuki changed something with the tranny around 2006 because that's when i started reading about a majority of these problems. :whistle:

I may have posted the bottom 2 articles before in this thread but I thought I would post them again. They are about my experience with the 2nd gear issue.

One of the things I must point out with this issue is that it is not a design problem from Suzuki. It happens due to hard accelleration from shifting into 2nd gear hard (air shifting or foot shifting) in Drag Racing or 2nd gear wheelies. In nearly all of the instances I have read in this lengthy thread the people affected by it have been admittedly riding the bike hard, drag racing or doing wheelies.

We all bought a Hayabusa because it is the fastest, baddest bike on the planet (Prior to the BMW. LOL). You can't tell me that a majority of us out there have not taken advantage of that fact. So it kind of bothers me to see alot of you bashing the very bike we love because you broke the transmission. (This is not to say that some of you have had legitimate issues with the tranny. My guess is they are actually few if looked at by a case by case basis.)

Nothing can be made fail safe, my stock 02 transmission lasted 5 years under 95% drag racing usage before failing (the first 3 years it was ridden on the street only). My brother has an 01 Hayabusa that has been raced 50% of the time and the transmission is still working.

If you are going to use the bike for racing and such there are companies out there that can build your transmission to withstand the rigors of hard abuse. As mentioned by another wise soul in a previous post, even this does not guarantee survival of the transmission, although I can attest to the fact it sure has made a measurable incredible difference with mine.

Read the articles for more information.

:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: Repairing the Hayabusa Transmission - Part 1 ::
:: DRAGBIKE.COM :: DRAGBIKE MAGAZINE :: Repairing the Hayabusa Transmission - Part 2 ::

I have a strange feeling that you work for suzuki or one of your family members/friends do. I have owned a fzr600, gsxr750, gsx1000 and this busa has been the only one to give me transmission problems. (The 1000 had nitrous and extended swingarm btw)

My busa is basically stock so wtf. I definitely would call it a design flaw.

i go with design flaw also. how hard would it be for suzuki to undercut the dogear when its being produced. even if they added some $$ to the price of the bike its better than the $1000-$1500 you have to pay to get it fixed.
my .02

We've had the 2nd gear symptoms recently and it turns out the counter shaft (shaft that clutch attaches to) was broken in 1/2 just between the 3rd/4th gear and 5th gear drives.

Feff

Was just at the track, the last 5 runs it would slip out of 2nd every time without fail. I also occasionally have problems with 5 to 6 missing.

I was thinking I need to adjust my shift linkage for a more positive engagement.
However when at the track tonight, it was happening in any other gear. This sucks. Especially of the worst is yet to come.

Local Busa shop (Quick Time Motorsports) has both sets of shafts (like new) off a low mileage bike. Install is almost complete. Should cure a host of issues - hopefully.

Feff

Raising this skeleton. My 06 with 4400 miles under full throttle is popping out of 2nd as soon as its engaged. Only 8 runs at the dragway. Always using the clutch, no power adders. Thinking of sending my stuff to fast by gast. Any other opinions on who to send it to?

Fast By Gast is where i send a bunch of guys too, i have never had a problem with there work!
Raising this skeleton. My 06 with 4400 miles under full throttle is popping out of 2nd as soon as its engaged. Only 8 runs at the dragway. Always using the clutch, no power adders. Thinking of sending my stuff to fast by gast. Any other opinions on who to send it to?

this is the e-mail i got from fast by gast this evening... don't sound bad to me..

hi Jordan,
we fix ur trans and prob gone.
weld and u/c 2nd set $200. or $350. range to do entire trans.
send the forks, drum, shafts for inspection
7-10 days should do it
Regards,
Paul Gast

Hmmmm my bike does this weird thing when im on it hard in 1st n 2nd gear in higher rpms. It almost feel like it down shifts but doesnt. I been thinking its because my wheels have no Cush drive. Like under hard acceleration the chain mite just slide up the teeth on sprocket a lil bit. Im not positive but think it does ot more the more the sprocket wears. Im doin new chain n sprockets so im gonna pay close attention to how it acts as things wear

Back