45 Days on a Gen3 Hayabusa - 2023 Pashnit Touring

Length0.550 mi[1] (885 m)

Castaway Rd
Both pictures are screenshots of the middle of the road, looking in opposite directions.

Screenshot_20230312-230225_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230312-230258_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230312-230323_Maps.jpg

Nothing exciting, but it leads to some good riding.

I had this grand plan to ride this big loop around Placerville (it's the center of this rural foothill region), then backtrack into town for our lunch stop, then double back the opposite direction on even more twisty roads. Sometimes that best laid plans get changed on the fly and I have to adjust our route in my head as we’re riding it. I’m trying to ride as many twisty roads as I can fit in the day. But the distance you can cover solo vs the distance you can cover with a small group can be entirely different. So, I make changes on the fly and re-calculate the time vs. distance equation in my head as we’re riding. The math said my original routing was too ambitious, and I had to cut some mileage out to stay on schedule.

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02420.JPG

Gary like my Bagster tank cover so much, he was showing me his new Bagster he just got for his GS

DSC02419.JPG

Outside Placerville is a region called Apple Hill. The elevation between 2-3000 ft is the perfect climate for apple orchards and there's one after the other. During the fall, it's very touristy, and the orchards are very busy.

137_3761.JPG

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

Every orchard has some gimmicky thing to bring in the kids. The Larsen orchard has a huge water wheel.

IMG_1416.jpg

At the 3000 ft level is the tiny town of Camino anchored by a lumber mill that closed in the 90s, the wife and I used to live here when the kids were young, so we're in my backyard. Snows Rd drops off the ridge through several switchbacks and starts the ride south.

Snows Rd is about a mile from my old house. I used to ride this regularly when I had my '00.

DSC03041_900_busa.jpg

SnowsRd1.jpg

Switchbacks
112_1231.jpg

At Fiddletown is the single lane Hale Rd, and our only water crossing of the day. No bridge was ever built over the creek, so we ride though it, rather than over.

132_3290.jpg

Take the road less traveled

IMG_0144.jpg

Single lane backroads

IMG_0151.jpg

DSC02449.JPG

We found the ice cream

DSC02463-8.JPG

Bruce found an old rat bike - Bruce owns about 50 different motorcycles, mostly vintage.

DSC02463-9.JPG

And some sunshine

DSC02463-10.JPG

Last edited:
Gary approves

DSC02463-11.JPG

Bike stickers. You have to be over 40 to get the cultural references.

DSC02471.JPG

What a difference time makes. We were here last in March 2020, the week before covid officially started. It officially ended days ago.

March 2020
Img_1008-3.jpg

3 years later - February 2023 - the social events are back
DSC02454.JPG

Last edited:
DSC02474.JPG

DSC02475.JPG

Grass is red.

The first time I got into a heated argument over colors was grade school. The assignment was to draw a picture of your house, and surrounding my house was red grass. The art teacher stated I did the assignment incorrectly, but I was adamant. I was right, and she was wrong, and I wasn’t backing down. Don’t you see red grass? I was insistent. Grass is green, everyone knows that, she said.

40 years later, grass is still red, and I’m still right. But it gets better. The grass in the Sierra Nevada Foothills is special.

This grass is orange.

And the brilliant spring colors in Sierra Nevada Foothill regions glow this time of year. The rolling hills of orange grass coupled with undulating country roads are the best. At least that’s what the backs of my colorblind eyeballs are telling my brain.

DSC02480.JPG

Rolling hills of orange grass is all I see

DSC02486-2.JPG

DSC02488.JPG

I like this shot. It shows delayed late apex lines.

DSC02487-2.JPG

Last edited:
Back