Gen3 Calder wave rotors

Oh get this, I'm sure you guys noticed how bad that rear rotor is. The guy I bought it from had just put on new pads but left that rotor on.

Dang for a second when I was looking at picture earlier, I wondered if it was maybe a rear and not front, but can't recall how either OEM looked. The pic is a rear rotor, correct?

I can confirm Gen1 rear rotor will not fit on a Gen3, but if you have a ATC swingarm, I can confirm they indeed use Gen1 rear rotors.

My goal here is attempting to see if the Gen1 front rotors are a direct swap on our Gen3 front rotors, not to swap OEM for OEM but so can run matching wave rotors up front. The OD matches, but unsure if ID or bolt spacing does.

If anyone's wondering the following below is brake sizes vs year. If gen1 front fits gen3 front then great but it seems were screwed on the rear disc.

Gen1
Front: 320mm
Rear: 240mm

Gen2
Front: 310mm
Rear: 260mm

Gen3
Front: 320mm
Rear: 250mm

It is not the same unfortunately. Gen1 front rotor bolts center to center is approximately 54mm and Gen3 is 71mm.

20220605_024059.jpg

20220605_024129.jpg

Even though the wave rotors don't appeal to me aesthetically, I'm curious. They look like they have less surface area, and yet they are supposed to improve braking performance. How does that work?

Even though the wave rotors don't appeal to me aesthetically, I'm curious. They look like they have less surface area, and yet they are supposed to improve braking performance. How does that work?

Because they weigh less than stock/less rotating mass.
They claim the shape cools faster, but I'de like to see proof, even though I'm not sure how that could be accurately tested.
Maybe the material used disapates heat faster than the stock material.
Regardless, it's weight and appearence.

They claim the shape cools faster, but I'de like to see proof, even though I'm not sure how that could be accurately tested.

Man, you're full of knowledge! I've always wondered as well, but zero experience with them. Always wanted a set for the Gen2, just never did. I just like looks, as long as quality is there.

I always look at what the superbike racers are using....I've never seen them using a wave rotor....and they work their brakes like a GP bike even though they don't use carbon ceramics, they seem to not be suffering from too much brake fade.

There's nothing wrong with getting better brakes, but I also object to anyone complaining about the stock brakes on the Hayabusa. My gen one would do 20 minutes on the track without any fade, and enough power to slide the front was always readily available under any circumstance. I never had any trouble or felt any limitation. Come to think of it though, I did put steel lines on... I wonder if the new bike needs steel lines...

There's nothing wrong with getting better brakes, but I also object to anyone complaining about the stock brakes on the Hayabusa. My gen one would do 20 minutes on the track without any fade, and enough power to slide the front was always readily available under any circumstance. I never had any trouble or felt any limitation. Come to think of it though, I did put steel lines on... I wonder if the new bike needs steel lines...

Exactly! While it had been 3yrs between riding the 09 and the 22, I 09's Nissin(?) calipers had more bite than the 22's Brembos. They lent more confidence for some reason.

They ALL benefit from ss lines.
They won't stop you any sooner, but they will improve lever feel and travel, very consistent.

The best inexpensive and noticeable brake upgrade is a set of EBC HH "Extreme Pro" carbon ceramic pads, or a Veshra equivalent.
They are street pads too, and they Will stop you sooner.
and
For any who do not know, Never run a Race brake pad on the street.
Race pads need to stay hot to work correctly, and in regular street riding, you will not be able to keep race pads hot enough for them to work well, braking will be inconsistant/ aka dangerous.

You are one of the few who feel the stock brakes are decent...each and every review on the gen 1 or gen 2 (pre Brembos) complained about the poor brakes...I watched and read them all before I bought my bike.

My bike (09) came to me with Brembo calipers, EBC 5.5mm rotors, steel lines, R1 Brembo MC and EBC HH Sintered pads...it stops like nobody's business with zero fade and 1 finger if I want.

Last edited:
Yep, you're not wrong. The forums were full of complaints about the brakes and many of the articles felt the same. There were enough contrasting opinions though that I thought something about the brakes on these bikes is not consistent.

Back