ROADTOAD's new ride

The "trains" we call "Road Trains" they have a prime mover and 3 or 4 trailers and are restricted to highways outside of cities or city regions. A B-Double typically has a Prime mover and one short trailer followed by one long trailer. This is the biggest combination allowed on city roads. Some times on the highway you'll come up behind one and it isn't obvious it's two trailer job, it's only when you pull out proper to overtake that you realize it's the big one and then you're glad you're on a Busa. I like to drop down to third or even second before I pull out even if the road ahead looks clear for some ways. They are not the sort of thing you want to linger around.

View attachment 1685170

That's a lot of real estate.

There not so bad when you're both going in the same direction but I still keep well clear. If they have a blowout, and I've seen that, it's bedlam, especially on the freeway if other cars are around. When a truck tire explodes near drivers they don't check their mirrors before they change lanes and they change in a hell of a hurry lol.

Here's a cool vid of aussie trucks encountering less than aware people. Sorry for the thread hijack R-toad. But it's all in the name of safety :beerchug:

we have the b-trains with three trailers in WA, USA. Hard to believe they're allowed with how much they jiggle and sway

Nothing like a bike that's more powerful than sanity allows. One day you come up behind a B-Double and it all makes sense.
Or one day a road rager comes ups behind you... Ragers are easy to dodge but not a semi's tire blowout next to you or large bolts tumbling loose in front of you...

I drove big trucks for years, and am still licensed to do so, CDL class A.
48' and 53' are the 2 standard trailer lengths in the U.S., and 96" or 102" wide.
There is an 80k lb truck and trailer weight limit, up to 93k lb with a heavy haul permit (average tractors weigh 15-20k lbs of that).
Anything else is a wide load, or special permit.
48' and 53' double trailers are only legal in California.
UPS and Fed-Ex run lots of small double trailers, around 20' each, 50 state legal...and fun to try and back a double trailer, lol
I've never seen or heard of triples in the U.S.(but don't doubt it).
I drove a spread axle flat bed 48' tractor trailer through 40 states, delivering all kinds of things to various construction sites...which puts you in some tight spots sometimes, and that's when it really is fun, vs stuck in traffic on the highway.

Last edited:
Ragers are easy to dodge but not a semi's tire blowout next to you or large bolts tumbling loose in front of you...
I saw one give way on the SE freeway in Brisbane years ago, I was about 400m back, the freeway had light traffic on it. Boom! It looked like a bomb went off. There was a sudden huge dust cloud and big chunks of tire flying out. He was in the Left lane (Oz, slow lane) and the two right hand lanes had 3 cars in them coming up and just behind the truck, all going 100 km/h. Suddenly it looked like a dodgems race, the cars weaving this way and that. Ten seconds or so later I was up where it happened on the Busa, and I had to maneuver through the detritus, some pieces quite large.

The experience left an indelible impression on me. Just keep your distance from them trucks, never shadow them, pass them as soon as you can. On another occasion I came down a hill to an intersection with a big RH turn leading off. Cars had been parked at a Red and a semi had come down the hill from the right, turned into the 4 lane road and spilled a massive roll of steel sheet off the back. It had landed on the front end of a little bitchbox and flattened it like a tack. I bet the person sitting in it had a heart attack! Inches and seconds. I have some other interesting tales but I'll leave it at that. This sort of thing happens a lot more than people realize, either that or I'm just a magnet for it. It's why I always lane split, I want the option of getting the hell out if something goes wrong.

Edit: Dinosaurs and weapons eh R-toad. Interesting book collection.

kwaka-s.jpg

I saw one give way on the SE freeway in Brisbane years ago, I was about 400m back, the freeway had light traffic on it. Boom! It looked like a bomb went off. There was a sudden huge dust cloud and big chunks of tire flying out. He was in the Left lane (Oz, slow lane) and the two right hand lanes had 3 cars in them coming up and just behind the truck, all going 100 km/h. Suddenly it looked like a dodgems race, the cars weaving this way and that. Ten seconds or so later I was up where it happened on the Busa, and I had to maneuver through the detritus, some pieces quite large.

The experience left an indelible impression on me. Just keep your distance from them trucks, never shadow them, pass them as soon as you can. On another occasion I came down a hill to an intersection with a big RH turn leading off. Cars had been parked at a Red and a semi had come down the hill from the right, turned into the 4 lane road and spilled a massive roll of steel sheet off the back. It had landed on the front end of a little bitchbox and flattened it like a tack. I bet the person sitting in it had a heart attack! Inches and seconds. I have some other interesting tales but I'll leave it at that. This sort of thing happens a lot more than people realize, either that or I'm just a magnet for it. It's why I always lane split, I want the option of getting the hell out if something goes wrong.

I've had tractor and trailer tires blow out.
What's really amazing is, that with just one of 18 tires gone, it feels like someone just added 10 tons to the load.
What's more impressive are the roadside hulks that come and change them for you, lol

I drove big trucks for years, and am still licensed to do so, CDL class A.
48' and 53' are the 2 standard trailer lengths in the U.S., and 96" or 102" wide.
There is an 80k lb truck and trailer weight limit, up to 93k lb with a heavy haul permit (average tractors weigh 15-20k lbs of that).
Anything else is a wide load, or special permit.
48' and 53' double trailers are only legal in California.
UPS and Fed-Ex run lots of small double trailers, around 20' each, 50 state legal...and fun to try and back a double trailer, lol
I've never seen or heard of triples in the U.S.(but don't doubt it).
I drove a spread axle flat bed 48' tractor trailer through 40 states, delivering all kinds of things to various construction sites...which puts you in some tight spots sometimes, and that's when it really is fun, vs stuck in traffic on the highway.
Hi. I have had 27 yrs in big trucks and over 2.5 mollom miles the only permit I did not have was passerger. I did a lot of over weight and over size loads out of El Paso TX.

Hi. I have had 27 yrs in big trucks and over 2.5 mollom miles the only permit I did not have was passerger. I did a lot of over weight and over size loads out of El Paso TX.
HI. This was a drive not a ride. I moved generator the total weight was abot 240,000 lbs. I also moved wind turbine blade yhat wad 172 ft long. I wish I still had the photos but all were lost after mr wrck in Dalas TX. The most wheeles on a trailer was 384 and the heavyest was 4,800 tons I wes not involved with them.

HI. This was a drive not a ride. I moved generator the total weight was abot 240,000 lbs. I also moved wind turbine blade yhat wad 172 ft long. I wish I still had the photos but all were lost after mr wrck in Dalas TX. The most wheeles on a trailer was 384 and the heavyest was 4,800 tons I wes not involved with them.

Cool, I've seen those wind turbine blades transported, and they're huge.
A friend of mine used to haul the massive I-beams for highway overpasses, and there's Alot involved with getting one of those from point A to B.

Got out to an evening bike meet , took Karate out for a cruise . Not a bad turn out , clear weather , no wind and cool air . The 14R was making power , but we stealthed past all the cops . Got pics of some of the bikes .

View attachment 1687196

View attachment 1687197

View attachment 1687198

View attachment 1687199

View attachment 1687200
How does this happen? Not like Hollister or Laughlin or Srurgis where thousands get together but small(ish) meets like this? Is it that we Americans have too many options, too many other things we can do? I’ve been trying for some time now to arrange some kind of get together and even listed several venues/locations but with little to no response.

Back