Bridgestone BT-016 // My Experience

ya know that is a pretty good tire.. I can vouch for it drifting nicely at 120+ for 15+ miles up the Gorge.. :whistle: tire buggers are always fun...

Hey SCAR maybe you got a bad batch. Grab the batch number from the sideway and call the manufacturer. I bet they'll want to know and stand behind their product.

I am currently running the BT-016 and have roughly 3,200 miles on them and they are wearing fine. no cupping, flat spots, separations. Now 3,200 miles isn't a lifetime but I don't see any problems so far that's why I think you might have gotten a bad tire or an "old" tire. BT-016's weren't they standard issue on the Busa's?

That was my 10th set of tires on this bike, bro, but thanks for the advice. I'm sure it's well intended.

It's not just well intended, it's factual! Change them when you reach the ware bars and you'll never see that problem again!

And if you've ran out ten sets of tires then you know better than to run a tire that long, Bro!

Last edited:
I have a set of 016s here for trackdays (if I ever get to do any). Lotta folks like 'em around here but are running them on 600s.
From the looks of the strip left on it, your not pushing it all THAT hard. I'd second the vote for a possible defective tire.

Oh, and I put a set of Road 2s on a couple of weeks ago. Did your fronts feel pretty numb? I had a Power on the front, last set, and comparitivly, I can't feel anything with the Road 2. Seems to stick pretty good so far, but there is realy no feed back at all. Running 37lbs now, so I'm going to play with the air pressure a little, see if that helps.

I'm going to do a full review on these tires, ya'llz...but wanted to give you a brief (maybe urgent) 'head's-up'; as many of you have asked me what my 'take' was on these tires.

I've had them on Wasabi for less than 7 weeks and fewer than 3,900 miles.

Mind you, the reason I even tried these tires is that they were reported to rival the Road2's or 2CTs for longevity and stickiness.

Fail. They're deteriorating; particularly the front.

The separation was noticed after the 2nd run up Palomar yesterday; which made for a "tender" trip down the mountainside and a boring slab-ride home.

Next, I think I'm going to 'try' the much-hailed Pirelli Diablo Corsa III to see what they're like. I think they're a short-wear tire (as well) but I'll probably need to have the rubber replaced again before the Stampede (6 weeks or so), for which I'll more than likely get the many-times-proven Michelin Road2's for that long haul.

Anyway, when the article is published, I'll (as typical) put a copy here for you.

Suffice it to say; if you're looking for a long-wear all purpose tire, you will NOT find it in the BT-016.

:beerchug:

???

Who ??? told they were as durable as Pilot Road 2's ???

They are stickier than Road 2's...but they are only good for 3,000-4,000 miles.

The Bridgestone BT 021 is the tire that is more like the Road 2 (durability)

There's what a BT-021 looks like after 5000 miles (with 1100 of those miles being on the slab to Indy):laugh:..

Busa10-2-08010.jpg

That's not a bad batch issue, it's a rider issue of not being aware when it's time to replace a tire! That tire has been run way to long to be safe. What you are looking at is the cord layer under the running surface. Usually happens on the rear when the outter layer gets so thin it starts to pull out chunks. That's not a Bridgestone issue, it happens to most tires under the right conditions.

You aren't the first and won't be the last to romp a tire just a little to long!

Hey Bogus, please give Scar a lesson on the purpose of ware bars! :whistle:

+1

The tires did their job...what the rider was thinking :dunno:

Reminds me of another org member who put on a fresh set of Avon Vipers...then went on a extended ride (5-6k miles)...BAD CHOICE for a long trip...great tire for the twisties or a track day (Viper) :beerchug:

i'll be in the market for some tires next year and i've seen the the 016's in person and know there not for my just by looking at them. I loved my corsa III's on my 600 but i'm not shure how they would hold up on my busa. I had about 5000 on the set on my 600 and they looksed good for anouther season yet. i have a feeling the busa would chew the middles out really quick. don't the gen 2's come with battleax 056 tires? something like that they stick pretty good i can vouch for them on a friends busa and hes got an easy 4000 on his. looks to have plenty left if i remember correctly

I had 2 sets of PP's before I went to the 016.
For me the 016's are way more stable.
I did a test last week, in an area that I ride a lot and I could push it way more than I could on the PP's and feel much safer.
When I was done, I actually looked back and was amazed at how fast I went through.
(some of the slow to 45 kms were taken at 130 kms) :whistle:
Don't know about wear, just have about 1000 miles on them, but they are way more stable to me.
I won't ever go back to a PP again, even if these wear out next week.
Hats off Tuf you got me on these. :thumbsup:
JMO

Last edited:
that tire in the 1st and 4th pic on the original post appears to have been made in japan. my 08 cbr came stock with dunlop qualifiers on it that were made in japan by Sumitomo Rubber Industries ltd. they are (NOT) true qualifiers. any body that has a set of the BT-016 that were bout from a dealer, check and see where they were made and post up if you dont mind. the tires on my cbr (dunlop qualifiers) are not as good as the ones i have on the busa and they are off the shelf dunlop qualifiers. my front tire on the cbr is wearing quicker than the rear. im thinkin the tire that scar has is not an off the shelf or true BT-016. just a thought im no expert. :beerchug:

Last edited:
From what I can see in the pictures there is good tread in the middle?

It looks like most of your ridding is cornering? For those whom use their bike for day to day commuting I am guessing they would many more miles?

Are these the tires with the harder compond in the middle and softer on the edges?
Thanks,

that tire in the 1st and 4th pic on the original post appears to have been made in japan. my 08 cbr came stock with dunlop qualifiers on it that were made in japan by Sumitomo Rubber Industries ltd. they are (NOT) true qualifiers. any body that has a set of the BT-016 that were bout from a dealer, check and see where they were made and post up if you dont mind. the tires on my cbr (dunlop qualifiers) are not as good as the ones i have on the busa and they are off the shelf dunlop qualifiers. my front tire on the cbr is wearing quicker than the rear. im thinkin the tire that scar has is not an off the shelf or true BT-016. just a thought im no expert. :beerchug:

Just checked and mine are made in Japan.
I got them from my dealer.
Are you thinking there is someone making knock-offs?
If so wouldn't they just mold the Made in Japan on the knock-off?

I have been getting about 2500 out of Battleaxes. Friday I am getting a Pirelli Diablo rear . The following friday rideing the three sisters in the Texas hill country I should have a decent opinion by then if you are interested.

Back