EV vehicles

Electric vehicles is a dog and pony show . . .
The infrastructure to supply the energy needed just is not there. And never will.
electricity is already in many homes so im not sure where the idea of the infrastructure not being “there” comes from. in New Zealand electricity is already used more by homes other forms of energy.

01AEF413-1318-45FF-AC41-D5A5A7FA5D4F.jpeg

electricity is already in many homes so im not sure where the idea of the infrastructure not being “there” comes from. in New Zealand electricity is already used more by homes other forms of energy.

View attachment 1664184
I know the infrastructure isn't up to the task here....there just isn't enough power coming into the area to support tens of thousands of EV charging...it'd be like most homes turning on their dryers and running them for hours...

Our power grid is fragile now, I could only imagine the strain of EV being placed upon it...

Who would want to survive? Perhaps it is those of us that are hardwired to survive and go beyond what the perceived limits of life are.

Jim Carrey thinks like the action you posed... When the possibility of a nuclear attack on Hawaii was broadcasted to the public Jim walked outside his place in Hawaii and looked west and waited for the possibility of a rocket attack from Rocketman.
......and survive in a waste land with nuclear fall out and perhaps a nuclear winter......no thanks....better to be among the first evaporated.

I have hearsay from a friend who works for a vendor that supplies many automobile manufacturers. The word on the street is that new internal combustion engine R&D is now dead.

I have hearsay from a friend who works for a vendor that supplies many automobile manufacturers. The word on the street is that new internal combustion engine R&D is now dead.
I just read the last run of gas powered Dodge Challengers are being produced...

On the other side of the coin, Chev is introducing a new gas powered Camaro...

Was in Detroit for 4 days earlier this year and stayed at a family member's place. He has 4 Teslas and we borrowed one of them for the week (not sure which model, but it was older). I must admit it took a day or so to get used to it but it was awesome. Temps were between 25-35 degrees and a little snow on the 3rd day. We were mainly in Detroit and between Detroit and Ann Arbor. MI roads are notoriously awful, especially when you are used to the relatively smooth roads of VA. The battery range was a non-issue even in cold with the heater blasting. We didn't even charge it one day and ran 2-days on a charge.

The feel of the car was definitely upscale and it was smooth and quiet. The motor never lacked power, even making 80 MPH passes. It's definitely not the best-handling car I ever drove, but it is competent. The quiet ride is pretty nice actually. There is a feeling of flying without an exhaust note. Admittedly I am a gearhead but not a crazed car guy, I prefer motorcycles. But I would definitely rock an electric car or bike, especially if I didn't have to sacrifice performance.

I know the infrastructure isn't up to the task here....there just isn't enough power coming into the area to support tens of thousands of EV charging...it'd be like most homes turning on their dryers and running them for hours...

Our power grid is fragile now, I could only imagine the strain of EV being placed upon it...
Maybe Canada is not able to plan, short term to medium term, regarding grid extension? Vote right in your next election.

Over here, the plans are pretty much in place to handle EV from a grid perspective. Hint, hint, invest in copper prices are pretty low right now, and demand will definitely increase.

Then there are the green folks you don't believe. They recon EV's will actually lighten the load on the grid, based on slowing down global warming.

And then there are the hard facts which no one can argue with. It takes 6kWh to refine one gallon of gasoline. A Tesla model S does approximately 20 miles on 6kWh. On average automotive fleets 1 gal = 24 miles. So really it is almost a wash and the extra load on the grid is no issue at all.

Then are the folks who think there will never be enough charging stations. What they forget is that most of us do less than 300 miles every normal day, all the trips they make to the gas station disappears. The EV is charged at night at home while we are sleeping and when the grid normally has a whole bunch of extra kWh's available, because we are all in bed snoring.

Maybe Canada is not able to plan, short term to medium term, regarding grid extension? Vote right in your next election.

Over here, the plans are pretty much in place to handle EV from a grid perspective. Hint, hint, invest in copper prices are pretty low right now, and demand will definitely increase.

Then there are the green folks you don't believe. They recon EV's will actually lighten the load on the grid, based on slowing down global warming.

And then there are the hard facts which no one can argue with. It takes 6kWh to refine one gallon of gasoline. A Tesla model S does approximately 20 miles on 6kWh. On average automotive fleets 1 gal = 24 miles. So really it is almost a wash and the extra load on the grid is no issue at all.

Then are the folks who think there will never be enough charging stations. What they forget is that most of us do less than 300 miles every normal day, all the trips they make to the gas station disappears. The EV is charged at night at home while we are sleeping and when the grid normally has a whole bunch of extra kWh's available, because we are all in bed snoring.
Nothing to do with who you vote for...(hopefully another crappy political rhetoric isn't looming)....

Our infrastructure is old and in need of total updating....this equates to huge dollars needing to be spent over a vast area much of which is uninhabited. We have many rural areas here and vast distances between urban cities.

What about major cities where people have no garage, driveway or live in apartments or condos...?

Take a look at New York or other large urban areas and the number of cars that are parking on the street is staggering.....where will these EV get charged? Will there be huge charging stations set up where hundreds if not thousands of vehicles will be charged....maybe huge parking areas much like a drive in movie parking lot....which will need to be cleared in the winter and monitored for security while drivers are charging...

This isn't a black and white, cut and dry issue....

If you are still located there, I did a little research on Pinehurst NC and it appears that area is a affluent compared to many other areas including my area....hard to compare that area to many others which are struggling.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with who you vote for...(hopefully another crappy political rhetoric isn't looming)....

Our infrastructure is old and in need of total updating....this equates to huge dollars needing to be spent over a vast area much of which is uninhabited. We have many rural areas here and vast distances between urban cities.

What about major cities where people have no garage, driveway or live in apartments or condos...?

Take a look at New York or other large urban areas and the number of cars that are parking on the street is staggering.....where will these EV get charged? Will there be huge charging stations set up where hundreds if not thousands of vehicles will be charged....maybe huge parking areas much like a drive in movie parking lot....which will need to be cleared in the winter and monitored for security while drivers are charging...

This isn't a black and white, cut and dry issue....

If you are still located there, I did a little research on Pinehurst NC and it appears that area is a affluent compared to many other areas including my area....hard to compare that area to many others which are struggling.
LOL Bee, only time will tell.

I know you are not a Green fan, the environment bothers me though. Once everyone wakes up, it will be way too late and it may take centuries to repair the damage done.

If I don't have covered parking on my own property, I would never consider an EV. Probably own a bit of a junker and I would not have a Busa either.

The last time I was in NY city, driving a car and trying to find parking cost more than using public transport.

LOL Bee, only time will tell.

I know you are not a Green fan, the environment bothers me though. Once everyone wakes up, it will be way too late and it may take centuries to repair the damage done.

If I don't have covered parking on my own property, I would never consider an EV. Probably own a bit of a junker and I would not have a Busa either.

The last time I was in NY city, driving a car and trying to find parking cost more than using public transport.
I'm a green fan up to a limit....I just don't personally believe EV is the way to go...I don't see it being very green in the long run......

Vehicles still have to use petroleum to be built, rubber tires still need to be made and the Li and battery fabrication process isn't all that friendly either...then we will have all those expended Li batteries to recycle.....batteries that even when depleted are very dangerous to transport.

Then we roll around to what charges all these EV....each and every power provision system has their own issues that make them less than green.

I've said it before, I'll say it again for those who were not listening, (or just plain hard of thinking) . . .
EV's are dead in the water . .
The future is HYDROGEN!!!

And the power source to make the hydrogen will be the JMCC Wing Generator, wind energy.

That's it, that is the future of energy, extremely efficient and cheap to produce, no expensive infrastructure, just read the blurb.

View attachment 1664184
Look, I realise we have a grid but I was talking about the extra demand of electricity from charging a million or more cars and trucks overnight in NZ, and can the actual cabling and sub stations handle that much current load? And do we have the extra generating capacity/ability to meet this extra demand?

If the whole population of NZ was using EV's, (and this is the general plan of the NZ Govt) how much extra load would that put on our grid and our generating capacity?

Look at California for example, they're already struggling to supply enough power just for air conditioning in homes during thier hottest months. How could they ever supply enough electricity for millions of cars and trucks?

This is exactly why hydrogen fuel is the only way out of this dilemma.

Both are EV’s they just have a different kind of battery. The hydrogen fuel cell just comes with a whole lot more complications.

Very good read. TY Jelly.

I think the vehicle technicals are going to be overcome before the process of producing hydrogen in a more friendly ways will be.

Once again it requires lots of fossil fuels to accomplish.

It's the lynchpin in so much of our world.

I think the idea of exploring and improving hybrid vehicles is the way to go....having EV that is self charging makes more sense to me......the ICE power plants can be made more efficient while they are at it.

I also believe battery packs need to be standardized so there are less battery platforms out there, this would make it easier to produce and recycle IMO....

I think the idea of exploring and improving hybrid vehicles is the way to go....having EV that is self charging makes more sense to me......the ICE power plants can be made more efficient while they are at it.

I also believe battery packs need to be standardized so there are less battery platforms out there, this would make it easier to produce and recycle IMO....
The problem with any Hybrid is the batteries have a short lifespan compared to the ICE. And pricey to swap. You see a lot of dirt cheap Prius' come up for sale. All needing batteries. Can they function on the ICE engine alone? Yes. But barely. They are primarily supposed to charge the battery and add some augmented power to the electric propulsion. At least in the different type vehicles I've been in. I think the Prius is like a 2 cylinder litre size engine.

I agree though, hybrid is the gap fill that makes the most sense at this point.

Last edited:
The problem with any Hybrid is the batteries have a short lifespan compared to the ICE. And pricey to swap. You see a lot of dirt cheap Prius' come up for sale. All needing batteries. Can they function on the ICE engine alone? Yes. But barely. They are primarily supposed to charge the battery and add some augmented power to the electric propulsion. At least in the different type vehicles I've been in. I think the Prius is like a 2 cylinder litre size engine.

I agree though, hybrid is the gap fill that makes the most sense at this point.
A neighbor has a Toyota Highlander hybrid and it's pretty stellar...their friends have an ICE Highlander and the hybrid gets at least twice the mileage..

I agree the battery is the weak point but that is something I think the manufacturers can overcome at some point.

Having a full EV makes zero sense to me at all, there are just too many variables out there especially here in Canada and remote places.

A neighbor has a Toyota Highlander hybrid and it's pretty stellar...their friends have an ICE Highlander and the hybrid gets at least twice the mileage..

I agree the battery is the weak point but that is something I think the manufacturers can overcome at some point.

Having a full EV makes zero sense to me at all, there are just too many variables out there especially here in Canada and remote places.
I use to have a Prius, which was the joke of the town. One of my buddies always said: “Hey Mr. Prius, I really think you should sell your Busa and buy a moped”

Long story short, I drove it 40 miles to work on country roads every morning and it was always a challenge for me to play with the hybrid technology to see the best gas consumption I could get out of it. My best was 62 mpg.

Based on the kWh of a gallon of gas, most EV’s do over 100mpg.

Bee, one day I am going to rent a Tesla model S Plaid, and run circles around your Busa, from 0-60, the 1/4, and everywhere else, just to rub it in and p you off.

Back