EV vehicles

Germany decides to rescind the order to ban ICE vehicles and the idiots from greenpeace decided to protest this decision...I ask did they all walk to the protest? Probably not.

This is when tear gas, rubber bullets and batons come in handy...

Germany decides to rescind the order to ban ICE vehicles and the idiots from greenpeace decided to protest this decision...I ask did they all walk to the protest? Probably not.

This is when tear gas, rubber bullets and batons come in handy...
So I am trying to figure out how a guy who has indigenous ancestry got to a point where he does not give a hoot about the environment?

“Before I was six years old, my grandparents and my mother had taught me that if all the green things that grow were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the four-legged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the winged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all our relatives who crawl and swim and live within the earth were taken away, there could be no life. But if all the human beings were taken away, life on earth would flourish. That is how insignificant we are.”
Russell Means, Oglala Lakota Nation (November 10, 1939 – October 22, 2012).

1679830418984.png

Last edited:
So I am trying to figure out how a guy who has indigenous ancestry got to a point where he does not give a hoot about the environment?

“Before I was six years old, my grandparents and my mother had taught me that if all the green things that grow were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the four-legged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the winged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all our relatives who crawl and swim and live within the earth were taken away, there could be no life. But if all the human beings were taken away, life on earth would flourish. That is how insignificant we are.”
Russell Means, Oglala Lakota Nation (November 10, 1939 – October 22, 2012).

View attachment 1664481
I care about the environment but see a whole lot of hypocrisy out there, we in North America are beating the drums of climate change and enforcing controls over citizens and yet 3rd world polluters are allowed to continue their path of environmental destruction with absolute zero controls...

And although I have indigenous heritage, I wasn't raised in that manner.....I also have German and English heritage and don't identify with either of those nationalities.

I care about the environment but see a whole lot of hypocrisy out there, we in North America are beating the drums of climate change and enforcing controls over citizens and yet 3rd world polluters are allowed to continue their path of environmental destruction with absolute zero controls...

And although I have indigenous heritage, I wasn't raised in that manner.....I also have German and English heritage and don't identify with either of those nationalities.
Your post about Germany rescinding is pretty one sided, leaves out all the important information and is pretty misleading.

Do you want me to enlighten you, or would you rather do a bit more research and share the whole scenario in a follow up post.?

Your rant about hypocrisy is also pretty misleading. Do some research. Hint hint, the US is the second biggest CO2 polluter world wide.

Last edited:
Your post about Germany rescinding is pretty one sided, leaves out all the important information and is pretty misleading.

Do you want me to enlighten you, or would you rather do a bit more research and share the whole scenario in a follow up post.?

Your rant about hypocrisy is also pretty misleading. Do some research. Hint hint, the US is the second biggest CO2 polluter world wide.
No, I don't need enlightening....

I also still don't think EV will be the savior of all seeing as countries are ramping up coal and other fossil fueled power generators in order to meet their current demand....add in millions of EV and the demand will rise (obviously). Add in the fact EV have to be built using fossil fuels and I don't see the advantage.

Canada is the worst polluter per capita when it comes to greenhouse gases....so at least we excel at something...but China is the number one CO2 polluter with the US following behind from what I've read.

We are on a forum which caters to an ICE motorcycle and most of us here drive ICE vehicles so this isn't the green forum to begin with.

OK, let’s just disregard your initial posts on the whole EV subject then, because you now say this forum is about ICE’s

Since you mentioned China though, again you lack a lot of wisdom.

1679835718364.png

Look at the transitions from horses to automobiles and from steam to gasoline-powered transportation systems. Similarly disruptive. I think many look at EV technology as it is now, underestimating the potential that results from selling millions of vehicles.

I don't think this is only about being green. First, the performance potential of EVs is huge, with some amazing things only the most powerful ICE cars can do. The simplicity of an EV will make routine maintenance a thing of the past. Think about how much time you spend changing oil, brakes, etc. There could be a huge reduction in noise pollution (won't go into this but we deal with this all the time in the transportation design community). ANd most of all, it's a chance to make a fortune. Just like the ICE fueled America to the top of the economic heap, EVs are the new growth industry.

OK, let’s just disregard your initial posts on the whole EV subject then, because you now say this forum is about ICE’s

Since you mentioned China though, again you lack a lot of wisdom.

View attachment 1664483
Since there isn't a production EV Hayabusa, I'd say the subject matter in the name of this forum is based on an ICE motorcycle....

You yourself drive ICE vehicles and I assume ride an ICE motorcycle so therefore are a hypocrite right off the bat so your staunch defense of this technology is not taken seriously by myself. Although I don't smoke, this is akin to hearing a doctor tell everyone how bad smoking is for you yet seeing them light up a cigarette.

I can go on the internet and pull off all kinds of information to bore the masses but see no reason to as it is readily available to everyone....

As far as wisdom goes, I suppose I have limited wisdom when it comes to EV as I'm not an expert on the subject and have never claimed to be.

I guess I just don't appreciate it being jammed down my throat and being hailed as the savior of all CO2 related pollution.

Look at the transitions from horses to automobiles and from steam to gasoline-powered transportation systems. Similarly disruptive. I think many look at EV technology as it is now, underestimating the potential that results from selling millions of vehicles.

I don't think this is only about being green. First, the performance potential of EVs is huge, with some amazing things only the most powerful ICE cars can do. The simplicity of an EV will make routine maintenance a thing of the past. Think about how much time you spend changing oil, brakes, etc. There could be a huge reduction in noise pollution (won't go into this but we deal with this all the time in the transportation design community). ANd most of all, it's a chance to make a fortune. Just like the ICE fueled America to the top of the economic heap, EVs are the new growth industry.
The primary issue I have with EV is the fact it is being touted at the way forward to eliminate greenhouse gases yet will not eliminate them as there are greenhouse gases generated in the production and charging of these vehicles...

How much less these greenhouse gases will be is yet to be determined. Add to the fact the distances we have to travel here in North America are vast and the weather can be extreme (cold and hot) I don't believe in the ability of EV to be reactive to these issues....

Maybe technology will catch up, maybe not....

I do believe in the meantime that more could be taken today to make ICE create less CO2, eliminating drive throughs and idling are a couple ways and bringing back mandatory CO2 emissions testing and getting vehicles which fail these tests off the road is one way. In the province where my son lives they have to have annual E-tests and his vehicle barely registers on the tests....yet there are many older, worn out vehicles that don't pass and are unable to be licensed...

Then we roll into another avenue of people screaming governmental overreach as they deem these vehicles unfit to be on the roads...but I bet these sorts of actions would drop our CO2 footprint by a huge margin.

The primary issue I have with EV is the fact it is being touted at the way forward to eliminate greenhouse gases yet will not eliminate them as there are greenhouse gases generated in the production and charging of these vehicles...

How much less these greenhouse gases will be is yet to be determined. Add to the fact the distances we have to travel here in North America are vast and the weather can be extreme (cold and hot) I don't believe in the ability of EV to be reactive to these issues....

Maybe technology will catch up, maybe not....

I do believe in the meantime that more could be taken today to make ICE create less CO2, eliminating drive throughs and idling are a couple ways and bringing back mandatory CO2 emissions testing and getting vehicles which fail these tests off the road is one way. In the province where my son lives they have to have annual E-tests and his vehicle barely registers on the tests....yet there are many older, worn out vehicles that don't pass and are unable to be licensed...

Then we roll into another avenue of people screaming governmental overreach as they deem these vehicles unfit to be on the roads...but I bet these sorts of actions would drop our CO2 footprint by a huge margin.
Or we could go full on liberal mode and modify your thoughts. A food delivery driver can deliver food to many of the people that go to drive thrus. Do away with drive thrus. Instead make the establishment provide free delivery service. That should eliminate a lot of driving.

Same goes for grocery shopping. Make it illegal. Mandatory grocery delivery.

People and companies learned to work remotely during the pandemic. Make companies have a mandatory remote work ratio.

Etc Etc. Etc.

You can force a reduction of driving.

But as usual with the liberal approaches, it will force the little guy to pay higher prices to get anything free.

During COVID when people stopped driving, we saw an improvement in air quality in many cities - so we have first-hand experience that EVs can offer an improvement. Generating power does not have to involve large carbon emissions, we know how to fix that. When I talk to experts, they all truly believe that we can achieve very low carbon emissions pretty quickly.

I think many are guilty of single-variable analysis of this. Look at EVs fitting into today's infrastructure and they don't completely make sense. But look at all the variables evolving with EV technology and it is definitely possible to do. Frankly, not going to EVs is a silly and irresponsible move. ICEs offer no insurmountable advantages other than the sound of the motor.

The 110V garage wall outlet takes 2+ days to charge it. A 210V upgrade runs several thousand dollars.
I just had a 220v volt outlet added in the garage for a tankless water heater that pulls 35 amps. Cost me a little less than $400. Depends on the capacity of the breaker box.
Converting to full electronic vehicles will be a slow process probably beyond our lifetimes (at least mine lol) but I think inevitable. I'm not all green preachy; I just bought an internal combustion gas guzzler but the writing is on the wall.

I just had a 220v volt outlet added in the garage for a tankless water heater that pulls 35 amps. Cost me a little less than $400. Depends on the capacity of the breaker box.
Converting to full electronic vehicles will be a slow process probably beyond our lifetimes (at least mine lol) but I think inevitable. I'm not all green preachy; I just bought an internal combustion gas guzzler but the writing is on the wall.
I tend to agree. The technology will become cost effective eventually. But like any transition the best way to bring about change in technology is by capitalistic efficiencies. Let it be something that makes a profit, and the race is on to get good at it. Anything forced on us by the government will be inefficient and miserable to its population.

I'm old enough to remember TV & Appliance repair shops. If something broke, you went there to get it fixed. That has transitioned into make it so cheap it's not worth fixing now.

I also remember when the Post Office was the best way to move information and packages.

Both of these examples are either gone or rapidly approaching it.

Same thing will happen with ICE. But not for awhile.

I'm old enough to remember TV & Appliance repair shops. If something broke, you went there to get it fixed. That has transitioned into make it so cheap it's not worth fixing now.
No crap. I remember overhauling almost all alternators and starters on cars. If the housing was good you fixed it. Now it's unheard of; heck most of the techs are so young they have no clue of what's inside lol.

No crap. I remember overhauling almost all alternators and starters on cars. If the housing was good you fixed it. Now it's unheard of; heck most of the techs are so young they have no clue of what's inside lol.
Yep. No money in keeping $4 brushes and bearings on the shelf to keep them going essentially indefinitely.

I remember rebuildable shocks for cars. $2 for seals and used the same oil as the rest of the car did.

I recently serviced one of my work lifts. A slight leak. Shop wanted $900. Yes there was some labor. So I did it for that crazy a price. The hydraulic fluid they called out was impossible to find. I traced it out to be an aviation application. I think it was the same used in landing gears. Like $50 a quart. I needed like a cup worth. Minimum quantity I could buy was a quart.

What a rip off.

I now have enough of that quart to last a lifetime.

Last edited:
The EV train has left the station and is going to happen whether people like it or not...my argument is EV is not the big all encompassing green initiative that we are led to believe......petroleum will still be the fabrication and charging process.

In my strong opinion, the country I live in is not anywhere ready to introduce EV on a mass scale as our current infrastructure and power generation will not support mass EV nor is there any service availability.....it will take years and years to develop the capability to service EV

fabricating and recycle batteries in a safe ecological manner has to be brought into the equation as well

I will be long dead by the time this comes to fruition....

If you buy an item that says made in China it got here by a container ship that pollutes as much as 50 million car's. They say there's 1.5 billion cars in the World, so 50 million X 5,000 ships and the problem is not car's but container ships LOL.

Until someone come's up with a 100% replacement for carbon fuel anything else is just a wet band aide.

I remember a long time ago reading about a small nuclear power supply that would be placed under ground at your house and would power your home for 20 years. Need that for EV's and think you'll never need a nite lite cause you'll be glowing green all the time LOL.

If you buy an item that says made in China it got here by a container ship that pollutes as much as 50 million car's. They say there's 1.5 billion cars in the World, so 50 million X 5,000 ships and the problem is not car's but container ships LOL.

Until someone come's up with a 100% replacement for carbon fuel anything else is just a wet band aide.

I remember a long time ago reading about a small nuclear power supply that would be placed under ground at your house and would power your home for 20 years. Need that for EV's and think you'll never need a nite lite cause you'll be glowing green all the time LOL.
Jake brings up what we have discussed before. We can go all green as an end user. But it will not make much of a difference if we can't get foods made that don't pollute. To do away with the need for container ships means producing domestically. If our push to have a minimum wage of $15 for burger flippers come to pass, then producing a spatula to flip those burgers will cost more also. So we have the $32 Big Mac. But it will be green. Nobody can afford to eat, but we will be starving in a cleaner environment.

In my strong opinion, the country I live in is not anywhere ready to introduce EV on a mass scale as our current infrastructure and power generation will not support mass EV nor is there any service availability.....it will take years and years to develop the capability to service EV
USA too, they got the cart pulling the horse. Before you build a house you need to build a foundation if you want it to last.
I can see big diesel power electric charging stations in the hundreds accross the Country just to charge all the 18 wheelers.

You need money and users to fund a big shift like the EV move. Business has never been the catalyst for anything: The government built roads and sold huge airplane factories to car makers for $1. The government paid grants to schools to develop just about everything then sold the licenses to businesses. The government created ICs, then went to the moon to develop the technology then gave it to businesses to exploit. That's how this thing works. The government takes the big risk and business makes that final small step.

Back