EV vehicles

But a lot less populated...something like 30 million less....

Much easier to implement this sort of change in a small population such as this with a robust public transit system...and a strong electrical grid...

There are many physical barriers to implement EV in North America even if the mind-set was there (which it isn't).
So maybe if Mette Frederiksen was the Governor of Rhode Island, the only vehicles for sale in 2005 would be EV’s based on your argument for a small population?

Maybe it takes a women to do that?

Or do you think perhaps it is simply a matter of too many Bumblebees populating the state of Rhode Island?

So maybe if Mette Frederiksen was the Governor of Rhode Island, the only vehicles for sale in 2005 would be EV’s based on your argument for a small population?

Maybe it takes a women to do that?

Or do you think perhaps it is simply a matter of too many Bumblebees populating the state of Rhode Island?
Good question....

What I said it is easier to effect change in a smaller population such as Norway has

When you have what 340 million people in the US and a vast distance between them all, it is a lot more of a challenge.

We have only 40 million in Canada but we are spread out in a larger country than the US...pretty hard to effect change here.

I live in a very conservative area and I see more and more Teslas and now there’s charging stations in a lot of large parking lots.
Looks like at least here in southwest Missouri it’s catching on like gangbusters.
There are a few around here and other brands of EV as well but very few charging stations and even less places to get the vehicle serviced, it seems dealerships are shrinking instead of expanding....the nearest Tesla dealership is 2 hrs away so if there are any issues (and there has been) they need to be flat bedded there..

Even the F-150 EV has to go 2 hrs away for any service even though there is a Ford dealership here....there are no techs trained on EV....and there is a shortage of techs to begin with....

I don't know where you are but it sure isn't coming on strong around here....there have been zero upgrades to the power grid in years and the one that exists is barely able to keep up to what it has now...yet alone a bunch of power thirsty EV...

There are very few EV on the roads around here and even less dealerships to service them...there are very few techs trained to fix them...

I've seen many articles and videos about the problems with the electrical grid in California to the point of having certain days for charging much like certain days for watering grass...

I know in the area I live in EV are not the best choice...it is a 2 hr drive to the nearest large city (Ottawa) and in inclimate weather it's longer....EV don't cut it IMO (and many, many others).

I guess the phrase "we'll see" applies here...
Again, not here to debate.

Just moved from LA the information your have received about not being able to charge on specific days is fear mongering.

No doubt that cold has an effect on batteries but, the same applies for ICE vehicles. Preconditioning can mitigate a lot of range depletion you see in harsh environments. I’m sure diesel in your area have block and battery heaters as well.

Grid updates will come in a variety of forms to include micor-grids and stationary energy storage (this is already in practice)

Unless you are traveling more than 300mi round trip for work each day it would be silly to not consider an EV for your DD. This can be extended to ~500 if your place of employment has employee charging. That’s with current vehicle offerings.

Charging at home cost me ~$12 to get 320mi. I have never had a gas vehicle that could match that price.

Long haul big rigs will be able to charge faster than it takes for them to refuel with diesel in the next 2 years. See MCS charging.

I’m a gear head at heart but if we are just talking facts, EV’s are going to dominate. This includes hydrogen fuel cell based vehicles as well.

Just moved from LA the information your have received about not being able to charge on specific days is fear mongering.

No doubt that cold has an effect on batteries but, the same applies for ICE vehicles. Preconditioning can mitigate a lot of range depletion you see in harsh environments. I’m sure diesel in your area have block and battery heaters as well.

Grid updates will come in a variety of forms to include micor-grids and stationary energy storage (this is already in practice)

Unless you are traveling more than 300mi round trip for work each day it would be silly to not consider an EV for your DD. This can be extended to ~500 if your place of employment has employee charging. That’s with current vehicle offerings.

Charging at home cost me ~$12 to get 320mi. I have never had a gas vehicle that could match that price.

Long haul big rigs will be able to charge faster than it takes for them to refuel with diesel in the next 2 years. See MCS charging.

I’m a gear head at heart but if we are just talking facts, EV’s are going to dominate. This includes hydrogen fuel cell based vehicles as well.
I'm glad you are optimistic....I am not.

I see what the tech can do and think it is a good thing but again, the tech came out before the support did.

Our power grid is fragile and won't be able to handle the load and I have yet to see or hear of any upgrades...I know our government has been talking about expanding nuclear power and perhaps building a few new nuclear power stations but these don't get built quickly...

To add to this, we have no EV dealerships or tech support within 100+ miles of this area.

I could see EV being more viable if there was more foresight put into the infrastructure and support before they were introduced.

I know people who have them and they are frustrated with the lack of support and range they are getting....a former colleague has a Tesla S and he said it has never seen the rated mileage and in the winter it drops like a stone. He has mentioned that if the tech and support doesn't get better he's going back to ICE and he's not alone in his circle of friends who also own EV.

If you are not here to debate, and just mention facts, perhaps just a note.

Bee is 100% anti EV and the more facts you mention to him, the more he will search every corner of the internet to prove you wrong.

He pretty much has made up his mind.

If you are not here to debate, and just mention facts, perhaps just a note.

Bee is 100% anti EV and the more facts you mention to him, the more he will search every corner of the internet to prove you wrong.

He pretty much has made up his mind.
Incorrect, I'm not anti-EV at all......I see the merits of EV, however.....

What I'm "anti" to is the process of introducing EV to the masses.....

Very little to no support from dealerships
Lack of public charging stations
No upgrades to the power grid to support EV....

Incorrect, I'm not anti-EV at all......I see the merits of EV, however.....

Well Bee, we have debated and over debated the same stuff over and over.

You won’t have enough power from the grid to charge your EV and if you do, then you will burn down your garage. And if that does not happen no one will cover you with insurance. And if you charge it outside in the snow, then the battery will be too cold too function.

Have the Canuucks never heard about peak and off-peak demand management?

This is getting boring, the same stuff over and over.

Well unless you're in some strange pocket of the world, you might as well add "because I don't like it" to that list because that would be the only argument with merit. Dealerships everywhere in the U.S. are adding adding charging stations and sending techs for training. Charging stations are popping up like coffee kiosks.

If by that you mean the auto manufacturers taking the choice away, I agree with you, but they are the people making cars and despite alleged governmental influence, it's pretty much up to them.

Well unless you're in some strange pocket of the world, you might as well add "because I don't like it" to that list because that would be the only argument with merit. Dealerships everywhere in the U.S. are adding adding charging stations and sending techs for training. Charging stations are popping up like coffee kiosks.

If by that you mean the auto manufacturers taking the choice away, I agree with you, but they are the people making cars and despite alleged governmental influence, it's pretty much up to them.
Not here, dealerships are hard pressed to get techs and I know of no public charging stations in my area...

Even in our capital charging stations are limited and techs the same.....

There is no escaping the fact EV were being rolled out long before the support base is set up....all this equates to is failure and rejection.

It's a common sense approach, the government knows this tech is coming yet has provided zero support in upgrades to the power grid, forethought to power usage and technical support.....

I know the same thing happened when ICE vehicles were first introduced to the masses but before then we were riding horses, the same can't be said now.

Well Bee, we have debated and over debated the same stuff over and over.

You won’t have enough power from the grid to charge your EV and if you do, then you will burn down your garage. And if that does not happen no one will cover you with insurance. And if you charge it outside in the snow, then the battery will be too cold too function.

Have the Canuucks never heard about peak and off-peak demand management?

This is getting boring, the same stuff over and over.
I can't disagree with you there, it is boring and the same stuff has been debated so in your estimation, should this thread be deleted or allowed to go dormant? Will that resolve the issue at hand?

This still doesn't negate the fact the masses are not prepared for the introduction of EV....no preparations have been done to set them up for success.

I don't see how my arguments are invalid?

Not meaning to veer off topic here. But I can't help but notice you said you just left LA. There seems to be a lot of that happening. Care to share what you see as the facts behind that? I mean the data that doesn't seem to be in dispute is people are leaving Ca at a pretty big rate.

I can't disagree with you there, it is boring and the same stuff has been debated so in your estimation, should this thread be deleted or allowed to go dormant? Will that resolve the issue at hand?

This still doesn't negate the fact the masses are not prepared for the introduction of EV....no preparations have been done to set them up for success.

I don't see how my arguments are invalid?
Your arguments aren't invalid. Your arguments are shared by many.

I think EVs are the future. But just because Elon can make one, doesn't mean we need to adopt it. EVs have failed before. As has been highlighted here in the thread. We are a long way from the future. But I do believe the tech will make them practical eventually. I support the tech development. I'll buy it when it makes sense for me. Right now it's pretty evident the current admin is trying to force us to abandon ICE.

It's your thread. You don't need to seek anyone's advice on what to do with it. I've found it very enlightening in a few ways.

Your arguments aren't invalid. Your arguments are shared by many.

I think EVs are the future. But just because Elon can make one, doesn't mean we need to adopt it. EVs have failed before. As has been highlighted here in the thread. We are a long way from the future. But I do believe the tech will make them practical eventually. I support the tech development. I'll buy it when it makes sense for me. Right now it's pretty evident the current admin is trying to force us to abandon ICE.

It's your thread. You don't need to seek anyone's advice on what to do with it. I've found it very enlightening in a few ways.
I think it has to be noted that there is little to no preparation to bring EV to the masses....just selling platforms is not preparing...

If we look at say Victory motorcycles...they made a good bike but their dealership network and therefore service was flawed so they failed...and then got sold and Indian isn't even spoke of in circles anymore...

If Victory would have had better dealer networks and better ability for service, they might have survived and prospered....the "so what" of all this is-EV are out there but the dealer networks are only partially activated along with service and now throw in the ability to re-charge them on route or away from home....

I get the tech, I don't get the lack of dealer support or charging capabilities......especially with EV from the big companies....Tesla also needs to step up their game but I firmly believe this could be a money maker for Musk.....in my opinion he will soon be looking at the best offer for Tesla from one of the big companies so he can start funding other interests.....

And they will all be fighting over it........

There is no escaping the fact EV were being rolled out long before the support base is set up....all this equates to is failure and rejection.
In your part of Canada yes, but in this country the support base is much further along. I live in Springfield MO, notorious for being behind the times on basically everything, and charge stations are becoming more and more available., many of them in existing filling stations. Some are stand alone in mall or strip mall parking lots. The dealerships are also in motion, probably because the manufacturers are strongly urging or requiring them to prepare. It would be interesting to hear how far along other parts in the world are in their preparation.

In your part of Canada yes, but in this country the support base is much further along. I live in Springfield MO, notorious for being behind the times on basically everything, and charge stations are becoming more and more available., many of them in existing filling stations. Some are stand alone in mall or strip mall parking lots. The dealerships are also in motion, probably because the manufacturers are strongly urging or requiring them to prepare. It would be interesting to hear how far along other parts in the world are in their preparation.
Good to hear the US is ready for conversion to EV...

Up here we are much, much farther behind....

Not meaning to veer off topic here. But I can't help but notice you said you just left LA. There seems to be a lot of that happening. Care to share what you see as the facts behind that? I mean the data that doesn't seem to be in dispute is people are leaving Ca at a pretty big rate.
Left LA because of work. Cool city and a ton of things to do. Politics aside, I’m a country boy at heart and I could never settle down somewhere that is a concrete jungle. CA is beautiful, diverse and you can get remote if that’s your thing just don’t expect to make the same $$$$ as you would in one of the big cities. Most with negative views have never spent more than a week there. Everywhere has its pros and cons and I am NOT originally from CA. Travel is the enemy of ignorance and bigotry and I’m just glad to have experienced CA in real life.

Left LA because of work. Cool city and a ton of things to do. Politics aside, I’m a country boy at heart and I could never settle down somewhere that is a concrete jungle. CA is beautiful, diverse and you can get remote if that’s your thing just don’t expect to make the same $$$$ as you would in one of the big cities. Most with negative views have never spent more than a week there. Everywhere has its pros and cons and I am NOT originally from CA. Travel is the enemy of ignorance and bigotry and I’m just glad to have experienced CA in real life.
I lived there for 6 years. Both ends of it. Don't miss it a bit.

Back