EV vehicles

I don't know about the stats and who compiles them, but I do know when I talk to a fire chief of a very busy fire station who responds to many EV fires and very few if any ICE vehicle fires.....

Not many pedal bicycles erupt into flames spontaneously inside a building but there sure are a few E-bicycles.

Damn it Jelly factual links are so annoying when someone is trying to hate on EVs.
3,475 fires per 100,000 sold compared to 25.
Ouch
......and why wouldn't anyone hate on a technology that isn't living up to the hype and promises?

EVs are a useless venture by the greenies to feel good about themselves for their feeble attempt to save the planet....

Call it like it is.....EV are just as polluting and maybe more than ICE as they can't as easily be recycled as ICE and they still require some sort of combustion for the most part to power and manufacture them.

I don't know about the stats and who compiles them, but I do know when I talk to a fire chief of a very busy fire station who responds to many EV fires and very few if any ICE vehicle fires.....

Not many pedal bicycles erupt into flames spontaneously inside a building but there sure are a few E-bicycles.
I believe there is a saying.

“An empty vessel makes the most noise.”

.....and I often hear from you so what does that tell you....?

You don't exactly have a low thread count either.....

There is also another saying "pot calling the kettle black....."
Nope, your interpretation was wrong.

ICE catching fire, they have been around forever, no big deal = Vessel is full, makes little noise.

EV catching fire, it's a new thing, when they catch fire everyone notices, makes the problem 10 times worse than it is = Empty vessels makes the most noise.

Nope, your interpretation was wrong.

ICE catching fire, they have been around forever, no big deal = Vessel is full, makes little noise.

EV catching fire, it's a new thing, when they catch fire everyone notices, makes the problem 10 times worse than it is = Empty vessels makes the most noise.
OK, like I said, I don't speak "cryptic" I need plain speak....

I would say it is more a marketing thing.....the government is pushing EV......there is no way that they would allow any statistics to show EV catch fire more often and are next to impossible to extinguish regardless of battery composition......they will ensure any statistic is skewed in favor of the EV obviously....

Otherwise, who in their right mind would buy one?

EV has been around for decades but not in the mainstream.....it is not a new technology.

1718729381130.png

Gee I hope this was an EV green grill and not one that uses fossil fuels he wants to ban.

Also hope he fired whoever told him this pic was a good idea. Rofl

EV has been around for decades but not in the mainstream.....it is not a new technology.
True but the emergence into the private transportation field is very new. I suddenly see more and more charging stations. As in town commuters, EVs are kicking ICE vehicles’ butts already, and the technology is advancing in leaps.

True but the emergence into the private transportation field is very new. I suddenly see more and more charging stations. As in town commuters, EVs are kicking ICE vehicles’ butts already, and the technology is advancing in leaps.
EV are all smoke and mirrors.....a way for people to feel better about themselves....

We are just substituting one way of polluting for another, one less adaptable to our geographical environment.

EV are all smoke and mirrors.....a way for people to feel better about themselves....

We are just substituting one way of polluting for another, one less adaptable to our geographical environment.
LOL smoke and mirrors until you drive one. Super torquey, quiet and smooth as heck. I guess everybody wants different things from a vehicle but they sure suit mine. I don't agree that the environmental footprint is comparable, geographically or otherwise, but what the heck, it spurs discussion.

LOL smoke and mirrors until you drive one. Super torquey, quiet and smooth as heck. I guess everybody wants different things from a vehicle but they sure suit mine. I don't agree that the environmental footprint is comparable, geographically or otherwise, but what the heck, it spurs discussion.
I like a vehicle that I can get into regardless of temperature, weather and distance and be able to convey in comfort and lack of anxiety of making it there.

If we look at what it takes to make the actual EV, it is the same process as making an ICE vehicle and instead of oil extraction, we have Lithium and other precious metal extraction...then on top of that, we need to have a source to charge them and the ability to tap into the electrical power grid...

All these extra power lines need vast amounts of copper...something which is in short supply and is hard to extract....

I've ridden a Zero E Bike...impressive until you really want to explore and then you are very limited to range and then there was just something off with the experience...it was too clinical, no gears to shift and frankly no soul....

I've been in EV, recently a Tesla S which was listed at around $150K Cdn and it was very impressive although the owner stated it can't be run in it's performance mode for very long as it is was hard on the battery, motors and sucked juice worse than a performance car sucks gas....

I dabbled in RC cars and have had gas powered and electric cars and the electric cars were superior.....although they were toys and I wasn't relying on them getting me home in a snowstorm.

Frankly I believe the real solution to the perceived human impact on climate change is a change in human behavior more than what platform we drive.

Industrial pollution has a vast impact as well as frivolous travel via aircraft and ship both of which are huge polluters yet nothing is being done to curb their use. If one goes on the global aircraft or ship maps, the skies and seas are absolutely full of ships and aircraft with people travelling.....

Yet.........the government is focusing on personal automobiles of which modern ICE vehicles have a very low emission footprint. Where is the smog these days? Even with the number of cars on the road which is even more than in the '70s, there seems to be less of a smog issue as there was then....

Lol this thread.
It will be hard to find posts which have not repeated the same thing over and over. The semantics may differ but the same stuff has been covered so many many times. It is actually funny to see a dead horse being flogged over and over.

The EV community tries to avoid alternate facts.

Or make use of what defines a fire in the data they provide, that helps skew the numbers.

Some months ago it was claimed that ICE were something like 6000% more likely to catch fire than EVs. The link provided included recall data for a dome light in the 3rd row seating was improperly wired and could (not necessarily did) cause a fire.

Or a windshield washer system that heated the fluid could (and had)caused a localized fire in the engine bay. So yeah those are fires.

But if you look at that link and actually compared apples to apples you find that 100% of the EV fires were caused by the fuel source of batteries. And only 2 instances of ICE fires were both in a McLarens, were as a result of the fuel source being that of gasoline.

So virtually no ICE fires out of the hundreds of thousands reported were because they were gasoline powered. And virtually all of the EV fires were because of the fuel of batteries they used. And what else was odd that even a 6th grader would have caught was the fact that the link provided did not include one instance of EV fires being in a Tesla.

So here ya go Bee. What your fire chief sees.

Yet not one recall issued for Tesla. The highest produced EV with the highest number of fires, conveniently doesn't appear in the EV data they hope you believe, because, well facts.

So Bee as long as you don't buy a McLaren, the chances of your ICE catching fire because of the fuel you use, is a pretty safe for you.

Frankly I believe the real solution to the perceived human impact on climate change is a change in human behavior more than what platform we drive.
In North America, the population growth among people with European origins is showing a sharp reduction. Undocumented Immigrants are affecting population growth positively. Peoples with non European origins are multiplying, adding to population growth.

50-100 years from today, North America will have very different values and caring about the climate will not be one of those values.

In North America, the population growth among people with European origins is showing a sharp reduction. Undocumented Immigrants are affecting population growth positively. Peoples with non European origins are multiplying, adding to population growth.

50-100 years from today, North America will have very different values and caring about the climate will not be one of those values.
Agreed.....

The EV community tries to avoid alternate facts.

Or make use of what defines a fire in the data they provide, that helps skew the numbers.

Some months ago it was claimed that ICE were something like 6000% more likely to catch fire than EVs. The link provided included recall data for a dome light in the 3rd row seating was improperly wired and could (not necessarily did) cause a fire.

Or a windshield washer system that heated the fluid could (and had)caused a localized fire in the engine bay. So yeah those are fires.

But if you look at that link and actually compared apples to apples you find that 100% of the EV fires were caused by the fuel source of batteries. And only 2 instances of ICE fires were both in a McLarens, were as a result of the fuel source being that of gasoline.

So virtually no ICE fires out of the hundreds of thousands reported were because they were gasoline powered. And virtually all of the EV fires were because of the fuel of batteries they used. And what else was odd that even a 6th grader would have caught was the fact that the link provided did not include one instance of EV fires being in a Tesla.

So here ya go Bee. What your fire chief sees.

Yet not one recall issued for Tesla. The highest produced EV with the highest number of fires, conveniently doesn't appear in the EV data they hope you believe, because, well facts.

So Bee as long as you don't buy a McLaren, the chances of your ICE catching fire because of the fuel you use, is a pretty safe for you.
I agree, I've not encountered any documents that show an ICE vehicle spontaneously erupting in flames sitting by itself in say a parking garage or such......

Generally if an ICE vehicle catches fire it is because of an accident or some sort of modification (electrical or fuel) in an older vehicle and one rarely if ever see one catching fire while refueling even though the potential to do so is high.

I agree, I've not encountered any documents that show an ICE vehicle spontaneously erupting in flames sitting by itself in say a parking garage or such......

Generally if an ICE vehicle catches fire it is because of an accident or some sort of modification (electrical or fuel) in an older vehicle and one rarely if ever see one catching fire while refueling even though the potential to do so is high.
And it helps their data cause when they can use an improperly wired 3rd row dome light that if shorts creates a fire. Or a windshield washer heating element that has an electrical problem. That has nothing to do with it's fuel. It resides in an ICE vehicle, so cha ching you claim 6000% and become an expert on data collection.

They either don't look at their presented data, or don't understand it, or hope nobody questions it.

When you present data, that doesn't include one instance of a TESLA fire in it, you have to wonder about mental capacity.

And the link the EV fanboys posted data stating exactly this. Older, modified ICE vehicles have a higher rate of failure. Which makes perfect sense

You got a lot of chyt when you stated what they later prove to be fact.

As mentioned, this subject has been exhausted to death, or beyond it.

So if you scroll way back, somewhere there is a post with a picture, Chris, one of my buddies, new Subaru ICE, which caught fire spontaneously in a parking lot next to a store, while he was shopping. Also took out the car next to his. It was a news article, with pictures, however Chris and I talked about it, so I have all the details.

The only person I know, among a number with EV’s who lost a vehicle due to fire.

Back