Gen 3 exhaust options

Same here in Germany! We have only the option to buy the Akrapovic, but i dont like the Sound, and dont like the Style......and lets not forgett the price of 2500 Euro. Insane in my eyes! No other System available here, everything need to have EURO5 emission. If you change something on your bike or you install a different Exhaust-system, the cops will hunt you down and you can be shure, that you dont move your bike a single mile.

Germany....home of eco fascists
Hi. They have found a 90 million year old rain forest in Antarctica. They say it was the fault of all of the non EURO-5 bikes that you have in Europe. LOL.

New member. 3,300 miles into a Gen 3 and just ordered three exhausts (sometimes I have a bad habit of doing this!).

As a first try I’ve just installed the M4 slip ons. Took about 15 minutes to install. So damn easy. This install is not yet not complete however. Look at pics below and you’ll see a heat shield bracket near the muffler. I gotta cut that off this weekend.

Ordered direct from M4. Only issue with the order was they sent me one db killer insert instead of two. I’ve asked them to send the second.

With no inserts it sounds really good. At low rpm’s, and on high rpm deceleration, there is a really strong droning sound inside my Shoei helmet. Not gonna lie, I’m not sure I like it.

I wanted a simple install and solid upgrade from stock sound and this aced it. There’s also a noticeable *POP* on shifts that’s pretty sexy.

91C07CB2-4153-4DAE-978B-2B56909C8C76.jpeg

0443AAC4-8D40-4EAC-9EFC-2458C4B08B92.jpeg

If you’re curious about the heat shields, they’re for the Yoshimura slip ons (M4 doesn’t make any). RC116HSB-BK (x4), 11211-HSR (x1), 11211-HSL (x1).

Very very beautiful, Too bad it is not possible here in Italy, and even worse for trips to the nearby and beautiful, through its streets, Austria, after seizure for decibel and anti-pollution road checks.
Indeed. As far as I know only the overpriced Akrapovic slip ons are possible to use within EU roads. Correct me if I'm wrong.

New member. 3,300 miles into a Gen 3 and just ordered three exhausts (sometimes I have a bad habit of doing this!).

As a first try I’ve just installed the M4 slip ons. Took about 15 minutes to install. So damn easy. This install is not yet not complete however. Look at pics below and you’ll see a heat shield bracket near the muffler. I gotta cut that off this weekend.

Ordered direct from M4. Only issue with the order was they sent me one db killer insert instead of two. I’ve asked them to send the second.

With no inserts it sounds really good. At low rpm’s, and on high rpm deceleration, there is a really strong droning sound inside my Shoei helmet. Not gonna lie, I’m not sure I like it.

I wanted a simple install and solid upgrade from stock sound and this aced it. There’s also a noticeable *POP* on shifts that’s pretty sexy.

View attachment 1646487
View attachment 1646488

If you’re curious about the heat shields, they’re for the Yoshimura slip ons (M4 doesn’t make any). RC116HSB-BK (x4), 11211-HSR (x1), 11211-HSL (x1).
Yes they are and you can buy them individually from Yoshimura, Don out in Chino will order you a set. They are designed to cover the mid pipes on there R 77 exhausts. If you tack weld a couple of threaded pieces onto your mid pipes you can mount them on any exhaust and it will complete the lower body line.

Darn it somebody found out another one of my secrets. I have them in a box right over there.:p

View attachment 1646487
View attachment 1646488

Paint them matte silver !.....

Speaking of the exhaust, that's the only thing that worries me about the Busa. I discovered that the manifold on cylinders 1 and 2 has black, burnt marks. It doesn't look like a manifold gasket, but as if something had dripped onto it from above. I got it off the manifold of cylinder 1 with a bit of effort, no chance with the second cylinder, I don't have such small hands, not even a little Chinese one that I could get out of the drawer, which then comes to it. ;) The bike is dry and clean in the single garage over the winter, yesterday I looked into the fairing with my flashlight and saw rust film on the manifold of cylinder 3.....why???? Where from? Are the manifolds made of stainless steel? There is no moisture either...

A Rost 2.jpg
A Rost.jpg

Something I was wondering… generally speaking, are the single side exhausts louder overall than dual slip ons with no baffles? Probably varies a ton by brand and design but I was curious.

I have read repeatedly, typically from muscle car owners, which is different, that single exhausts in general are quieter. I suspect that it is because the single exhaust has the two sets of engine waves cancelling each other out. But to your point, the bike exhaust designers may design the mufflers internally to produce a similar overall sound level, thus muddying the answer.

Here in India too the police are cracking down on bikes with aftermarket exhausts and they have decibel meters with them and the bikes are impounded and stiff fines are levied. Also they make you remove the exhaust and fix the original exhaust before you can take the bike back.

Last edited:
Speaking of the exhaust, that's the only thing that worries me about the Busa. I discovered that the manifold on cylinders 1 and 2 has black, burnt marks. It doesn't look like a manifold gasket, but as if something had dripped onto it from above. I got it off the manifold of cylinder 1 with a bit of effort, no chance with the second cylinder, I don't have such small hands, not even a little Chinese one that I could get out of the drawer, which then comes to it. ;) The bike is dry and clean in the single garage over the winter, yesterday I looked into the fairing with my flashlight and saw rust film on the manifold of cylinder 3.....why???? Where from? Are the manifolds made of stainless steel? There is no moisture either...

View attachment 1646516View attachment 1646517
Given the materials/alloys in alot of stainless steel, it can get a little rust, and even be magnetic.
The full ss M4 I put on the gsxr has a few spots of surface rust on it.
The crud dripping is likely from assembly lubes or coatings.
I wouldn't be too concerned about either, but I understand your frustration.

Given the materials/alloys in alot of stainless steel, it can get a little rust, and even be magnetic.
The full ss M4 I put on the gsxr has a few spots of surface rust on it.
The crud dripping is likely from assembly lubes or coatings.
I wouldn't be too concerned about either, but I understand your frustration.
Hi. How many many db's is to high for most people? My built motor on my HD was measured at 127 at 10 ft back and 10 ft to the right side. Other HD riders would not ride behind me.

Hi. How many many db's is to high for most people? My built motor on my HD was measured at 127 at 10 ft back and 10 ft to the right side. Other HD riders would not ride behind me.
I certainly don't blame them for that....

I knew a guy who ran shotgun pipes and it would hurt your ears riding behind him...I did that once for a half Km...never again...

Back