What did you do to your Gen 3 today?

Replaced my rear tire today, used my new Rabaconda tire changer and Rabaconda static balancer and they both worked great. Still got to look up the axle and brake caliper torque values because I left everything just snugged up.

I ran to Home Depot to look for some bolts to try reusing my gen2 soupy’s 1inch riser. It worked out great, but those OEM bolts were a bear to loosen up. Took over an hour to do the job and plenty of big towels to avoid whacking something with my knuckles or wrench if it slipped. Also learned that gen2 and 3 radiator and oil coolers have same shape and I was able to install the Cox guards I had on the shelf. Last but not least, did an oil change just in case since I don’t know the service history of the bike. She only has 1,200 miles but, made me feel better. Here are some pics, including one of the packaging the bolts I bought came in, in case someone wants to reuse their gen2 handlebar riser/spacer. This was not my idea and, I simply decided to give it a try after seeing some posts on the forum.

IMG_8598.jpeg

IMG_8602.jpeg

IMG_8607.png

IMG_8606.png

Exactly my thoughts..... @mabupa went from no mods to doing mods......we all know where this is going next......

It's inevitable, the Hayabusa is after all the most modified sport bike on the planet.....why fight it?
You two are not helping. :lol: ! I got lower pegs coming and definitely need a windscreen because my neck hurt for 3 days after fighting wind buffeting on my 200 plus mile ride home. Also need to sell my gen2 luggage racks so
I can order some for the gen3 to reinstall my givi top case.

You two are not helping. :lol: ! I got lower pegs coming and definitely need a windscreen because my neck hurt for 3 days after fighting wind buffeting on my 200 plus mile ride home. Also need to sell my gen2 luggage racks so
I can order some for the gen3 to reinstall my givi top case.
.....you called it, @sixpack577 ....the mods are already beginning.....

Should have kept that Brembo MC and some of the other Gen 2 stuff that was transferrable.......

.....you called it, @sixpack577 ....the mods are already beginning.....

Should have kept that Brembo MC and some of the other Gen 2 stuff that was transferrable.......
The brembo stuff is in a brown truck already. As you already saw my “not changing anything” comment wasn’t 100 accurate but, still trying not to go crazy with this one. I’ll do the usual cheap comfort mod stuff and call it good.

The brembo stuff is in a brown truck already. As you already saw my “not changing anything” comment wasn’t 100 accurate but, still trying not to go crazy with this one. I’ll do the usual cheap comfort mod stuff and call it good.
SURE you will............

You know from experience that modifying is like a can of Pringles, once you pop the top, you can't stop.....

My baby is heading for the Isle of man tomorrow morning. Leaving my house at 6am and getting ferry from Dublin to Douglas. 5 days of beer and fun over the unlimited speed mountain course.
I'll post some pics on return.
That sounds awesome! Would love to get there someday!

I ran to Home Depot to look for some bolts to try reusing my gen2 soupy’s 1inch riser. It worked out great, but those OEM bolts were a bear to loosen up. Took over an hour to do the job and plenty of big towels to avoid whacking something with my knuckles or wrench if it slipped. Also learned that gen2 and 3 radiator and oil coolers have same shape and I was able to install the Cox guards I had on the shelf. Last but not least, did an oil change just in case since I don’t know the service history of the bike. She only has 1,200 miles but, made me feel better. Here are some pics, including one of the packaging the bolts I bought came in, in case someone wants to reuse their gen2 handlebar riser/spacer. This was not my idea and, I simply decided to give it a try after seeing some posts on the forum.
I know the feeling, I used 5 towels to protect everything when I installed my bar risers.

Question, I noticed your using Rotella T6. How long have you been using it? What is your opinion on it vs other oils or OEM oils? I see that it has a motorcycle on the front of the bottle is it safe for wet clutches? Why does Rotella say it can go 15 years or 500K miles? I’m going to do some research myself. TIA.

I know the feeling, I used 5 towels to protect everything when I installed my bar risers.

Question, I noticed your using Rotella T6. How long have you been using it? What is your opinion on it vs other oils or OEM oils? I see that it has a motorcycle on the front of the bottle is it safe for wet clutches? Why does Rotella say it can go 15 years or 500K miles? I’m going to do some research myself. TIA.

Rotella is generally marketed as diesel oil, high zinc, high mileage change intervals...but I don't think I'de wait until 500k to change it, lol

Question, I noticed you’re using Rotella T6. How long have you been using it? What is your opinion on it vs other oils or OEM oils? I see that it has a motorcycle on the front of the bottle is it safe for wet clutches? Why does Rotella say it can go 15 years or 500K miles? I’m going to do some research myself. TIA.
I was definitely worried about putting a dent on the tank or breaking the beautiful gauges. I also removed the 2 long panels on the sides of the tank. The ones right under the bars.
As for the rotella, here is my take on it. I used to only run amsoil but, because of the price, I decided to get some oil analysis done to see how many miles it was save to run it for. I was surprised to see that at 4-5k miles, the lab recommended an oil change due to contamination from the wet clutch. At that point, I decided it was not worth (to me) to spend $15 a quart to dump it at 4K miles so, switched to rotella and, have not used anything else on the DR650, my gen2 and the Kawasaki concours I traded in. Never had a issue with it and probably have 20k miles between the 4 bikes I ran it on. This is the first oil change I do on the gen3 but don’t expect any issues.
I wouldn’t run it 500k on the busa though. lol!

Rotella is generally marketed as diesel oil, high zinc, high mileage change intervals...but I don't think I'de wait until 500k to change it, lol
I was definitely worried about putting a dent on the tank or breaking the beautiful gauges. I also removed the 2 long panels on the sides of the tank. The ones right under the bars.
As for the rotella, here is my take on it. I used to only run amsoil but, because of the price, I decided to get some oil analysis done to see how many miles it was save to run it for. I was surprised to see that at 4-5k miles, the lab recommended an oil change due to contamination from the wet clutch. At that point, I decided it was not worth (to me) to spend $15 a quart to dump it at 4K miles so, switched to rotella and, have not used anything else on the DR650, my gen2 and the Kawasaki concours I traded in. Never had a issue with it and probably have 20k miles between the 4 bikes I ran it on. This is the first oil change I do on the gen3 but don’t expect any issues.
I wouldn’t run it 500k on the busa though. lol!
Thanks Six and Mabupa, I am familiar with Rotella being a diesel oil and some hot rodders and motorcyclist use it. I been looking for a good quality oil to use instead the Ecstar and KPO but have been busy and I put this research on the back burner. Yeah I would never run any oil past a few thousand miles. Haha

Thanks Six and Mabupa, I am familiar with Rotella being a diesel oil and some hot rodders and motorcyclist use it. I been looking for a good quality oil to use instead the Ecstar and KPO but have been busy and I put this research on the back burner. Yeah I would never run any oil past a few thousand miles. Haha
I run either Amsol or Royal Purple in my bikes and have had zero issues with either....

It only depends which is on sale....

I think on this bike, I’m going to do some oil analysis just because I noticed this bike runs significantly cooler than my gen2 did in the Florida heat. At 70 miles an hour, she stays at about 1/4 on the gauge. I also noticed the service reminder was set to 7500 miles interval. I didn’t get a manual with this bike so, just found the digital version a member posted and will do some reading to see if it says the interval is any different than it was on my gen2.

I shaved 6.6LBs off her with a battery swap for the shorai I kept when I sold my gen2.

Does anybody know if this is the original battery gen3 come with?

IMG_8613.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpeg

Back