What did you do to your other motorcycle today ?

Crisis adverted
I got 6 oem o-rings for $19.66, plus tax and shipping $28.08, lol
I got both fuel lines(I only need one) used from the same year Goldwing(part-out) for $6...with $13.90 shipping...lmao
So, for under $50 it'll be fixed, which beats $200.
That extra $150 will go towards ss brake lines as planned...this thing is trying to break me, lol

The used fuel line is also a guaranteed good part from a reputable used parts seller.
If it's no good I can probably get the same ends crimped on new hose for a fraction of the cost of new, we'll see.
For now I'll gamble with a line with the same age as what I have, and bite my tounge at the extra work...

I managed to need to spend more money...yay.
Last night I wasn't really working on the bike, but just spending a few minutes prepping things.
The previous owner put led lights in the rotor covers, along with a few other things I havn't time to address.
So, I was cutting zipties out of some awkward places with side cutter pliers.
One wire was conviniently banjo stringed to the side of the high pressure fuel inlet line.
I am always very careful cutting off zipties too, so not to cut whatever wire or hose that they may be attached to, and I was.
I finally cut the 3rd and last ziptie from the fuel line, no harm done...until I turned the pliers to get them out of the tight spot between the frame and the tank...the tip of one side sliced the fuel line like a razor...instant gas smell.
I was in disbelife (part# 11 in the diagram).
Cut by cutting too deep, sure...but just by contact like a knife edge...from side cutters...shaking my head, that's a new one on me...dummy.
This means that I now get to also remove the windshield again, And the whole front exterior and side panels, which is one piece, to loosen and move one radiator, to access the fuel rail where the other end of the fuel line goes...oh...and the fuel line and o-rings are $184.25...but...free shipping(always find the good, lol)
I also live 2 hours from a Motosport warehouse, so I parts in 2-3 days, sometimes even next day.
Oh well, I hope I find the other end of the line rotten or melted, and in Need of repair...what are the odds? lol

The line is cut where the ziploc back is wrapped

View attachment 1684605

View attachment 1684606

View attachment 1684607
You remember the convo we had about fuel injectors?

Dude.........while you are in there......

May as well check that off the list now.

Started stripping the front fender to work on it. I got 99.2% of the dent out. Need to finish working on that. Figured I would strip the entire fender to repaint. I let it sit with aircraft paint stripper on it yesterday for about 4 hours ant it barley started on the surface. This is some hard a&& paint...lol

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

You remember the convo we had about fuel injectors?

Dude.........while you are in there......

May as well check that off the list now.

Always a tough call...when to stop.
Especially when working on bikes with some age, and ones in good shape, I agree, I like to do a long list of what I consider maintenance, vs where most only fix things if they break.
The engine runs smooth and strong as it is.
Would new injector screens and cleaning improve anything? (and replace o-rings)
Maybe, most likely dependent on what gas from where went in it over it's life.
The injectors could be dirty and not flowing as well as a result, or still fairly clean.
For now, I'll wait, as they are a 'simple' job...simple jobs that are notorious for snowballing for fantastic reasons...been there, done that...a few times, lol
Over the winter? Yes, and possibly a few other things.
For now I will just do whatever is nesacerry to correctly repair the fuel hose, then continue with the full suspension.
I find the Goldwing to be very well designed, and easy to work on.
It comes apart quick after doing it once.
But, it feels like having yet another bike there...as there are so many parts and big parts that I have to find a safe place to put for a few days, without being in the way, lol, otherwise it's good.

Always a tough call...when to stop.
Especially when working on bikes with some age, and ones in good shape, I agree, I like to do a long list of what I consider maintenance, vs where most only fix things if they break.
The engine runs smooth and strong as it is.
Would new injector screens and cleaning improve anything? (and replace o-rings)
Maybe, most likely dependent on what gas from where went in it over it's life.
The injectors could be dirty and not flowing as well as a result, or still fairly clean.
For now, I'll wait, as they are a 'simple' job...simple jobs that are notorious for snowballing for fantastic reasons...been there, done that...a few times, lol
Over the winter? Yes, and possibly a few other things.
For now I will just do whatever is nesacerry to correctly repair the fuel hose, then continue with the full suspension.
I find the Goldwing to be very well designed, and easy to work on.
It comes apart quick after doing it once.
But, it feels like having yet another bike there...as there are so many parts and big parts that I have to find a safe place to put for a few days, without being in the way, lol, otherwise it's good.
From everything I've learned, if you don't have a FI light the injectors are supposed to be healthy.

But one never knows how they determine the threshold of bad health before it faults. Mine sat since 2014 before me. After fuel pump, sending unit and rust removal, she ran fine. Has been ever since. But I always wonder if there's some oxide particles just loitering around in there waiting to visit me on some mountain pass.

And I have no idea if power is all there or not as I have no point of reference for what the power is supposed to be.

From everything I've learned, if you don't have a FI light the injectors are supposed to be healthy.

But one never knows how they determine the threshold of bad health before it faults. Mine sat since 2014 before me. After fuel pump, sending unit and rust removal, she ran fine. Has been ever since. But I always wonder if there's some oxide particles just loitering around in there waiting to visit me on some mountain pass.

And I have no idea if power is all there or not as I have no point of reference for what the power is supposed to be.

Yeah, I have no idea on power to compare mine to either, but, for such a big machine, it runs very well.
I wish I could get the ecu flashed, or find a used one.
Apparently Guhl used to them for the 01-17, but got in trouble with the EPA??
Yet they still flash 18-24 ecus.
Strange.

Started stripping the front fender to work on it. I got 99.2% of the dent out. Need to finish working on that. Figured I would strip the entire fender to repaint. I let it sit with aircraft paint stripper on it yesterday for about 4 hours ant it barley started on the surface. This is some hard a&& paint...lol

View attachment 1684623

View attachment 1684624
Hi. You have to put deep scratches in the paint to the paint to get it to bite into the paint to lift up the paint. Like a bunch of x's.

Well, yesterday I detailed the Honda. And since it’s 99 degrees in my driveway and will be similarly HOT for a week or more I’m not riding. South and west will be 106. It’s even in the 80s+ in the Park. The first and last couple of hours in an over the hill ride is also hot. The only nice weather will be above 7,000’.

Very hot here, which is normal, but unusually dry though.
It's after 9pm and still 90°f(was 100° this afternoon), but the humidity has been low, at 30-50%...normally it's 70% to as close to 100% as you can get without raining...and we havn't had any rain in almost 3 weeks now either.
I went riding last week a couple of nights, to run as much gas out of my Goldwing as possible(to remove tank for suspension job I'm doing now) and it was near 90° still then too, and miserable.
We havn't had this many hot nights in decades...but some of the coldest June mornings that I can ever remember...low 40's right befor this heat wave and dry spell hit.

Very hot here, which is normal, but unusually dry though.
It's after 9pm and still 90°f(was 100° this afternoon), but the humidity has been low, at 30-50%...normally it's 70% to as close to 100% as you can get without raining...and we havn't had any rain in almost 3 weeks now either.
I went riding last week a couple of nights, to run as much gas out of my Goldwing as possible(to remove tank for suspension job I'm doing now) and it was near 90° still then too, and miserable.
We havn't had this many hot nights in decades...but some of the coldest June mornings that I can ever remember...low 40's right befor this heat wave and dry spell hit.
Hi. Nothing the Vulcan runs perfect.

Took a few parts off the Goldwing today.
The most difficult part...electrical connections and push pins...awful.
I was happy about this job too...until the fuel line got cut.
Now, removing more parts just to get to the other end of it, isn't much fun at all.
But, one step closer.
And, look at the fork leg, how the seal marks show the forks bottoming...after disconnecting anti-dive, but even then it was rigid while riding.
So rigid that it caused me to order the new suspension.
I put everything back together only a few weeks and couple hundred miles ago, and used a calibrated Snap-On torque wrench as usual.
I was suprised, but not really, at how many bolts had vibrated loose as result.
Oh well, I'll.finish it eventually.

20240623_191615.jpg

20240623_191604.jpg

20240623_191554.jpg

20240623_191542.jpg

20240623_182835.jpg

Last edited:
Took a few parts off the Goldwing today.
The most difficult part...electrical connections and push pins...awful.
I was happy about this job too...until the fuel line got cut.
Now, removing more parts just to get to the other end of it, isn't much fun at all.
But, one step closer.
And, look at the fork leg, how the seal marks show the forks bottoming...after disconnecting anti-dive, but even then it was rigid while riding.
So rigid that it caused me to order the new suspension.
I put everything back together only a few weeks and couple hundred miles ago, and used a calibrated Snap-On torque wrench as usual.
I was suprised, but not really, at how many bolts had vibrated loose as result.
Oh well, I'll.finish it eventually.

View attachment 1684741

View attachment 1684742

View attachment 1684743

View attachment 1684744

View attachment 1684745
I'm surprised I didn't hear cusswords at the fuel tank removal.

You do have a lot of aftermarket wires in yours.

I'm surprised I didn't hear cusswords at the fuel tank removal.

You do have a lot of aftermarket wires in yours.

The fuel tank came out almost easily...almost.
It seemed a little tight as I twisted it out...but it made me think that it's going to be really fun goin back...
As for the wires, all of that is for leds in the 3 rotor covers, the foglights, as this is a base model GW, and the foglights and their wiring were added at some point.
There's also a couple aftermarket power wires.
It's not a terrible job, but I don't like it, and will clean it all up before it goes back together.
I'm looking hard at these brake lines too, I think I'm going to rip all the lines and hard lines out as said, and put in 3 ss lines in their place.
This wasn't a bad job, but not something that I want to do again anytime soon either.
I just want to ride, and not wrench anymore until winter, lol

The fuel tank came out almost easily...almost.
It seemed a little tight as I twisted it out...but it made me think that it's going to be really fun goin back...
As for the wires, all of that is for leds in the 3 rotor covers, the foglights, as this is a base model GW, and the foglights and their wiring were added at some point.
There's also a couple aftermarket power wires.
It's not a terrible job, but I don't like it, and will clean it all up before it goes back together.
I'm looking hard at these brake lines too, I think I'm going to rip all the lines and hard lines out as said, and put in 3 ss lines in their place.
This wasn't a bad job, but not something that I want to do again anytime soon either.
I just want to ride, and not wrench anymore until winter, lol
Mine went back in way easier than it came out.

Mine went back in way easier than it came out.

Right on, that's great to hear.
It looks like I'll have to remove the right radiator and fan to get to the fuel line(I was hoping I could just move it), but, that'll give me reason to go ahead and do a coolant flush.
I also tightened up all 6 coolant hose clamps under the tank.
None of them were tight(but not leaking), so thanks for telling me about that.
I'm going to clean the ground post there, add another engine ground, and replace the bolt with a stainless steel one.

Back