EV vehicles

There's a misconception here that I am anti-EV......which I'm not.

What I am is skeptical of the benefits other than performance of an EV over ICE as in my eyes they are the same thing only with a different power plant and source.

I see them as being rushed to the public through political means here in Canada as I've been recently informed that the US and Europe is completely prepared and ready for mass EV and all that comes with it. Canada is not ready, we have few EV charging stations, few service personnel at dealerships capable of repairing them and questionable power grid reliability.

I have read quite a bit about this and have found that even the experts have indicated it will be decades before EV outnumber ICE and the two will be coexisting for quite some time until EV technology surpasses ICE in each and every facet.

I'm skeptical of their analysis and wonder if EV will survive to surpass ICE or will another power source become dominate as the resources to sustain EV dwindle (copper, nickel, Lithium, etc).

Then I get self professed EV "greenies" I meet and they aren't wearing home spun hemp clothes nor do they live in a thatch hut nor do they eat home grown food....what they do instead is fly to a port city and board a cruise ship several times a year......they don't drive their EV because they have timings to meet and don't want to miss those timings due to having any issues driving their EV any longish distance.

There have been instances when one or more of these people look at my large pick up truck with distain where I remind them of the huge carbon footprint they had by going on these ocean cruises where a cruise ship and aircraft they travelled to the port city on burned more fossil fuel than all of the ICE vehicles in our small city in most likely a year.......I win my argument each and every time.

Human beings have to change our way of life and thinking and when the billions of people in Asia, India, Pakistan and the like change their way of life and embrace all things EV, I will look at it much differently

Last edited:
There's a misconception here that I am anti-EV......which I'm not.

What I am is skeptical of the benefits other than performance of an EV over ICE as in my eyes they are the same thing only with a different power plant and source.

I see them as being rushed to the public through political means here in Canada as I've been recently informed that the US and Europe is completely prepared and ready for mass EV and all that comes with it. Canada is not ready, we have few EV charging stations, few service personnel at dealerships capable of repairing them and questionable power grid reliability.

I have read quite a bit about this and have found that even the experts have indicated it will be decades before EV outnumber ICE and the two will be coexisting for quite some time until EV technology surpasses ICE in each and every facet.

I'm skeptical of their analysis and wonder if EV will survive to surpass ICE or will another power source become dominate as the resources to sustain EV dwindle (copper, nickel, Lithium, etc).

Then I get self professed EV "greenies" I meet and they aren't wearing home spun hemp clothes nor do they live in a thatch hut nor do they eat home grown food....what they do instead is fly to a port city and board a cruise ship several times a year......they don't drive their EV because they have timings to meet and don't want to miss those timings due to having any issues driving their EV any longish distance.

There have been instances when one or more of these people look at my large pick up truck with distain where I remind them of the huge carbon footprint they had by going on these ocean cruises where a cruise ship and aircraft they travelled to the port city on burned more fossil fuel than all of the ICE vehicles in our small city in most likely a year.......I win my argument each and every time.

Human beings have to change our way of life and thinking and when the billions of people in Asia, India, Pakistan and the like change their way of life and embrace all things EV, I will look at it much differently
If the Democrats stay in power until 2050, the US will have an economy the size of Brazil and life would be similar to Brazil.
EV's would be the last thing on our mind, we will have infrastructure falling apart, crime, etc.

If the Republicans stay in power until 2050, it will be better than the prediction in the link below and EV's will be a bit more than today.

If the Democrats and the Republicans swap power every four years, it will be like this link below and EV's will still struggle. Our priorities will be very different.

By 2050, the Census Bureau projects the number of non-Hispanic whites will be falling, the number of African Americans will have grown by roughly 30 percent, the number of Hispanics by 60 percent and the number of Asian Americans will have more than doubled.

If the Democrats stay in power until 2050, the US will have an economy the size of Brazil and life would be similar to Brazil.
EV's would be the last thing on our mind, we will have infrastructure falling apart, crime, etc.

If the Republicans stay in power until 2050, it will be better than the prediction in the link below and EV's will be a bit more than today.

If the Democrats and the Republicans swap power every four years, it will be like this link below and EV's will still struggle. Our priorities will be very different.

By 2050, the Census Bureau projects the number of non-Hispanic whites will be falling, the number of African Americans will have grown by roughly 30 percent, the number of Hispanics by 60 percent and the number of Asian Americans will have more than doubled.

There will come a time when Canada and the US will become unrecognizable as countries with no commonality amongst it's citizens.

For the most part immigrants in Canada have no desire to integrate into Canadian society or adopt any of our traditions and culture but rather remain steadfast in their former country's traditions and cultures.

When in Toronto, there are "blocks" of communities which are representations of other countries where street signs are predominately written in foreign languages with a very small English description under it. Store signs are displayed with languages other than English as they cater to the people within their community.

I knew a person whose parents have lived in Canada for over 50 yrs and never needed to learn English as they live and work in "Little Italy."

I can see this scenario becoming more prominent and hopefully the violence of their former homes doesn't escalate to open street warfare.

The near future will be very different from what it is now I believe.

There will come a time when Canada and the US will become unrecognizable as countries with no commonality amongst it's citizens.

For the most part immigrants in Canada have no desire to integrate into Canadian society or adopt any of our traditions and culture but rather remain steadfast in their former country's traditions and cultures.
And it proves the point, people of different races genuinely do prefer their own company, trust their own, and eventually grow to despise the others around them once they 'made it' in their new nation. And it doesn't help when you have a mix of natural enemies like the French and the English living side by side, or a race of former slaves living beside their former owners! Add to that all the refugees from nations you once went over and carpet bombed and you have a powder keg. Oh yes they are going to integrate just fine... For a time.

Germany is an interesting case in point. 2000 years ago it resisted Romanization and that has never changed. It and many other nations have always stood apart, always go to war against the "Lesser Races" every 100 years or so. I doubt very much the iPhone has changed all that. Even now the EU is breaking up into it's old factions, into nationalism now that the era of prosperity has come to an end. What was the EU but an attempt by a group of old men who remembered the horrors of WWII trying to prevent a recurrence by unifying them all under a common banner. NATO is a similar effort now no doubt, it was redundant after the USSR collapsed but they maintained it and expanded, it breaking all the sweet promises made to Nikita Khrushchev that they wouldn't.

The Roman Empire is instructive in many ways I feel. Our systems of government and courts were derived from them, also the modern western process of expansion and conquering, where the peoples' of the subject nations are allowed to settle back at the core. England is reaping what it sowed there very much! Having a nation full of people who are diverse just weakens it, much the opposite to the claim, "Diversity is our strength". When people think of diversity they thing of tasty foreign foods and startling new fashions in clothing lol.

'Rude' EV problem now making its way to Aussie regions​

A NSW man said he spotted an EV charging from the street, with a cord running across the footpath, over an adjacent lawn, all the way to the top storey of a block of units in Sawtell. Source: ABC

EV ISSUES-1.jpg

EV ISSUES-2.jpg

I was wondering how all the people who live in units with on-street parking would get around the charging issue. Necessity is the mother on invention it seems.

Engineer spots 'surprising' charging move in regional NSW

"It surprised me, it was a real trip hazard," Bensley told the ABC. "There was no attempt to put anything over the cable, and it had rained the night before, so it was nice and wet." Bensley shared a photo of the arrangement on social media and people were, unsurprisingly, not impressed. Some argued the maneuver was not only a tripping hazard for able-bodied people, but could be seriously dangerous for those in wheelchairs or who require mobility aids.

"You see a lot of that in the city areas, where people are in high-density terrace houses. It's a bit of a surprise to see this turning up in Sawtell," he said. "If [water] had got in between the plug and the socket. It can actually burn and could start a fire if it was on dry grass. I guess the car owners were desperate."

So add charging anxiety to range anxiety. Australia is a very small market and a very large country, ev sales have done well here but obviously these people didn't do their homework before they bought. Either that or they were forced to move house to these new digs. Still a case of not doing your homework though. Lucky for them it's not America, that cable and charger would have been gone in an afternoon. Lucky it's not India either, they'd have come down to find a powerboard attached and leads running off in all directions :laugh:

This isn't as silly as it looks, and in a different Universe where there were separate roads or rail for heavy transport it would make good sense. Obviously this is an experimental version and a true street version would require a few extras but it's the closest thing I've seen to date that mirrors the concepts of the EV that were first put forward in the BP solar race inaugurated so long ago. Redesigning our roads with central transport hubs sounds easy but the whole concept fails as soon as you want to drive a concrete truck up a suburban street to pour a driveway. Perhaps I'll write a SciFi book on the subject some time.

No point is seriously discussing it though, discussions on this sort of transport solution to declining oil were flogged to death on dedicated forums long long ago.

Video link:- The Foton EV

EV ROAD LEGAL.jpg

What types of renewable synthetic fuels are there?​

To date, three methods for the production of renewable syngas, and consequently climate-friendly synthetic fuels are known: biofuels, which are produced from biomass, e-fuels, which are produced with renewable electricity, and solar fuels, which are produced with solar heat. All three methods mainly go through syngas, a mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide. The syngas is subsequently turned into liquid fuels via industrial gas-to-liquid processes. That’s why these three methods are sometimes also referred to as “Biomass-to-Liquid”, “Power-to-Liquid”, and “Sun-to-Liquid” respectively.

In other words take oil Gas or coal and waste it in an elaborate process to make Green fuel directly, or waste it in China to make solar panels and wind turbines and ship those back to power the industrial process. I gave up on these lies in 2006 when I read the white paper on the industrial production of biofuel in Sao Paulo Brazil. The fuel gave a net positive, barely, but only because they burned all the waste sugarcane to power the mills and used slave labor essentially to cut the cane. It never would have worked either if the region didn't get 2 meters of rainfall a year and have 4 cropping cycles.

Biofuels? people don't believe in them as a solution after the corn ethanol debacle so the solution is to "Re-Brand" them. Another pointless waste of the Planet's diminishing reserves of fossil fuels and another cycle of Stock offerings for the Green faithful to lose money on in the years to come.

For those that don't understand how industrial processes work, the Green arrows in the picture below are the vast amounts of fossil fuels used at every step of manufacturing.

biomass-to-liquid_biofuel-s.png

The EV collapse continues...
LG Energy, one of the biggest players in the EV battery space, reported a 58% drop in operating profits for the second quarter of the year, attributing the figure to the slowdown in EV sales. The news came a day after another South Korean battery major, SK On, declared an emergency after 10 consecutive quarters of losses

“We have our back against the wall,” chief executive Lee Seok-hee wrote in a letter to employees. “We should all pull together.” The company appears to have made a string of sub-optimal decisions to get to this point, namely aggressive investments in Europe and the United States in anticipation of an EV boom, according to the Financial Times.
OilPrice dot com

Appears to have made a string of bad decisions? No one wants to say anything negative anymore. Everything is fine, just a speed-bump in the road to endless progress.

I watched a show on TV and they were talking EV....there was a panel on there talking about the role EVs will have in the future and how they will be sustained. It was pretty interesting.

There was an insurance company CEO who was talking about regulating EV power output to make them soft accelerate and limit top speeds with irreversible technology so it can't be hacked, others agreed saying doing this will ensure power conservation and give them better range. She was concerned about the high performance of EV and how their performance needs to be regulated.

A utilities CEO was saying they are having major issues ensuring there are enough charging stations and power requirements to handle mainstream EV charging. He was saying that charging stations are going to have to be regulated similar to a truck stop type environment so that users and chargers can be provided security against both the theft of the EV and the materials in the charging station. His department is still unclear as to how to bridge the gaps for charging stations due to vast distances they have to service.

Some transportation expert was on there saying he believes that EV, ICE and perhaps other alternative fueled vehicles will be operating symbiotically for decades and the focus for EV will be switching to urban areas-trying to get more and more ICE out of inner cities including public transit means.

The program was an hour long and there was much more discussed but these were the highlights for me.

I watched a show on TV and they were talking EV....there was a panel on there talking about the role EVs will have in the future and how they will be sustained. It was pretty interesting.

There was an insurance company CEO who was talking about regulating EV power output to make them soft accelerate and limit top speeds with irreversible technology so it can't be hacked, others agreed saying doing this will ensure power conservation and give them better range. She was concerned about the high performance of EV and how their performance needs to be regulated.

A utilities CEO was saying they are having major issues ensuring there are enough charging stations and power requirements to handle mainstream EV charging. He was saying that charging stations are going to have to be regulated similar to a truck stop type environment so that users and chargers can be provided security against both the theft of the EV and the materials in the charging station. His department is still unclear as to how to bridge the gaps for charging stations due to vast distances they have to service.

Some transportation expert was on there saying he believes that EV, ICE and perhaps other alternative fueled vehicles will be operating symbiotically for decades and the focus for EV will be switching to urban areas-trying to get more and more ICE out of inner cities including public transit means.

The program was an hour long and there was much more discussed but these were the highlights for me.
Baby steps

Baby steps
EV weren't introduced that way though......they were pushed hard and as a result are failing..

If the government had even the slightest clue, they would have ensured the ability to recharge and service them was in place before releasing them or pushing them out.....all new technology deserves a chance.

Even the fans of EV wanted the fast rollout, save the Planet, get off oil now before it runs out! Too much pressure for a conventional transition. The experts say it takes around 20 years to make such a complete transition, and that's when Everyone wants it! From sail to coal fired ships, from coal to oil fired. You build all new ships, all new locos and twenty years later a vastly superior technology in place. Profits from the implementation of the new tech drives it forward, it makes solid economic sense to make the switch.

Oil is easier to load into ships and trains than coal and the fuel delivery system is a lot simpler. They can travel further per kg of fuel, they have long lifespans, 30~40 years for a ship, for a loco, for a car even. None of these advantages apply to the EV system do they? So while some new car makers went all in, the legacy manufacturers held back. Why? If they were obviously the future and better all round... Nuclear is a good technology too, very good in fact! Why aren't all our power stations nuclear now? Because they are not as good as they say. Super expensive to build, super complex to operate, very expensive to decommission too, and then there is the cost of the fuel. Natural Uranium might be cheap but highly enriched it's not so cheap. Only a couple of nuclear power stations in the US has been decommissioned and the sites cleaned up to date, but not the nuclear fuel, it's left on site in a buried casks. Why not remove it? $$$ obviously

Rancho Seco

The plant operated from April 1975 to June 1989, with a lifetime capacity factor of less than 40%; it was closed by public vote in June 1989 (53% to 47%) after half of its intended lifetime primarily for economic reasons: ratepayers had seen their rates doubled in the last four years to pay for improvements to the plant, and electricity from natural gas was priced at half that of the electricity generated by Rancho Seco.

All power-generating equipment has been removed from the plant ...On October 23, 2009, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission released the majority of the site for unrestricted public use, while approximately 11 acres (4.5 ha) of land including a storage building for low-level radioactive waste and a dry-cask spent fuel storage facility remain under NRC licenses.

• Low enrichment (3-5% U-235): Around $20,000 to $50,000/kg

This is used as nuclear fuel in commercial reactors.

cute vids. reminds me of a gold conference some years back where a woman speaker was predicting the gold price for the next two years. A investment expert came up to her afterwards and asked her how the Gold mining industry had factored into her analysis. She just stared at him and said "not at all" It was like mining was this dirty thing that happened underground and had no bearing on the price.

Uranium spot prices more than doubled to $100/lb. at the end of January 2024, after being only $48 at the end of 2022. The long-term price for uranium was $72/lb., an increase of about 38% over the same period (whatever long term is) The historical charts below end abruptly at 2020, it's getting hard to find ones that go right up till today. Too much bad news in them there charts. But the following ones tell the pertinent story

What happened in 2007~8?
URAINIUM.jpg

Yes, forget the ranger flood etc, it was around the highest all time oil price, and mining consumes a lot of OIL.
When economists make charts like this they often want to add in their own ideas on what the triggers were, sometimes they are accurate, many times they are just grasping at straws.

OIL-.jpg

Most of what's happening in the world today is linked to the oil price. At $20/bb we could do anything. At $80/bb we can't even repair the roads in a timely manner. $140, that my friends was the trigger for the GFC, not some insurance company and Hedge fund getting into trouble. First the rising prices killed the housing bubble industry then everything else that depends on oil. All renewables depend on oil. The only reason they were able to kick them off in such a major way was the lowest interest rates in recorded history and the lower oil prices after the 2008 financial crisis. Oh and stimulus money, trillions in stimulus money given to banks, for loaning out.

A neighbor down the street is big into side by sides and he and his wife go on lots of day trips in theirs.

One of his buddies traded his Polaris side by side for their EV model to try it out.....he was saying they normally did a certain trip to a town on half tank of fuel and as the guy knew this he didn't pay attention to the power usage....he got about 3/4 of the way and ran out of juice in the middle of nowhere....it didn't quite dawn on him that he couldn't make that distance on a full charge...

So the neighbor after not seeing him on the trail spun around and ended up towing him the rest of the way...when they got to their destination there were a few charging stations for EV so they plugged the thing in and had to wait 2 hrs for it to charge......so they left their wives there and he drove him back to his truck and they guy went and got it with his truck as he knew he wouldn't have enough juice to make it back even on a full charge.....

Back