EV vehicles

Just back from a short ride and ran into a former colleague who is the detachment commander of the police force here...(Provincial police similar to State Troopers).

He was saying they are starting to have a real problem with e-bikes.....the other day one of his officers clocked one going 70 kms/hr down a sidewalk....he said the officer eventually got the guy stopped and the guy was really militant stating it was a bicycle and therefore the officer had no business stopping him.......so the officer started piling on infractions related to bicycle use....riding on a sidewalk, failing to yield right of way, stopping at lights, stop signs, etc....

He was staying they are trying to get legislation passed to include e-bicycles due to how dangerous they can be....I told him I can attest to that as we were walking on the walking path at the park one day and an e-bike went by us really fast (looked to be in access of 60 kms/hr) and as it made little noise it startled lots of walkers....I could only imagine if one of them stepped out in front of it by mistake...

I also saw one going down the main blvd and was passing cars on the right as it was going faster than traffic and when it came to a three way stop light that was red, it went right through without slowing down.......

I can see something coming to regulate these things.

Just back from a short ride and ran into a former colleague who is the detachment commander of the police force here...(Provincial police similar to State Troopers).

He was saying they are starting to have a real problem with e-bikes.....the other day one of his officers clocked one going 70 kms/hr down a sidewalk....he said the officer eventually got the guy stopped and the guy was really militant stating it was a bicycle and therefore the officer had no business stopping him.......so the officer started piling on infractions related to bicycle use....riding on a sidewalk, failing to yield right of way, stopping at lights, stop signs, etc....

He was staying they are trying to get legislation passed to include e-bicycles due to how dangerous they can be....I told him I can attest to that as we were walking on the walking path at the park one day and an e-bike went by us really fast (looked to be in access of 60 kms/hr) and as it made little noise it startled lots of walkers....I could only imagine if one of them stepped out in front of it by mistake...

I also saw one going down the main blvd and was passing cars on the right as it was going faster than traffic and when it came to a three way stop light that was red, it went right through without slowing down.......

Just saying, the USA and most places in Canada regulate e-bikes at maximum 750watts and maximum speed of 20mph on battery power alone. It means if the rider gets to 20mph there is no electrical assist, to go faster only comes from the legs.

To give you a comparison, a professional cyclist can maintain 400watts for an hour. One of the world’s best sprinters Marc Cavendish can do around 1,600 watts at the end of a 300 meter sprint.

The average pro cyclist or even a cat 5 rider, will ride away from any legal e-bike. Average speed over the entire course of a bike race is normally 25mph ++

Sounds like you have a cycling problem, not an e-bike problem.

Last edited:

That’s more a statement about the stupidity of folks rather than a commentary about ebikes. Just now on the way to the gym there was a person on a sport bike, in medium traffic doing a wheelie not 100 ft behind the car in front. Maybe we should start a sport bike thread and how they’re a stain on society.

That’s more a statement about the stupidity of folks rather than a commentary about ebikes. Just now on the way to the gym there was a person on a sport bike, in medium traffic doing a wheelie not 100 ft behind the car in front. Maybe we should start a sport bike thread and how they’re a stain on society.
I guess there's a big enough problem for legislation to be drafted.....

And it's not me that drafting this legislation....

Just saying, the USA and most places in Canada regulate e-bikes at maximum 750watts and maximum speed of 20mph on battery power alone. It means if the rider gets to 20mph there is no electrical assist, to go faster only comes from the legs.

To give you a comparison, a professional cyclist can maintain 400watts for an hour. One of the world’s best sprinters Marc Cavendish can do around 1,600 watts at the end of a 300 meter sprint.

The average pro cyclist will ride away from any legal e-bike. Average speed over the entire course of a bike race is normally 25mph ++

Sounds like you have a cycling problem, not an e-bike problem.
Here's one advertised that will go 60kms/hr and I saw other similar advertisements from various sellers....this one says off road but I se them all over the place.....on the road....

...and these things can be easily modified to go faster....

I guess there's a big enough problem for legislation to be drafted.....

And it's not me that drafting this legislation....
You’ve been hammering on everything electric for 117 pages. All the positive things about EV be damned. Soon to be legislation about motorcycles downtown here.
Springfield MO
It’s all about stupid people, not their machines.

You’ve been hammering on everything electric for 117 pages. All the positive things about EV be damned. Soon to be legislation about motorcycles downtown here.
Springfield MO
It’s all about stupid people, not their machines.
I'm just passing along what I've been told, see and hear........it's not my issue that this upsets you.....

There is already lots of legislation against motorcycles......this is nothing new or surprising....

In our province of Alberta there is a decibel reader on patrol cars and people get charged for breaking that law....

We've heard from a member here where their motorcycle was banned by their HOA and had to store it at their friends house....

The real shocker is that ebikes weren't better vetted before being unleashed on the public....

Here's one advertised that will go 60kms/hr and I saw other similar advertisements from various sellers....this one says off road but I se them all over the place.....on the road....

...and these things can be easily modified to go faster....

Drink the Coolaid. The add says 2000w and the specifications say 1000w. So what do we believe?
And the thing weighs a ton.

Look at your province regulations, if what they say is true, selling that may get them into trouble.

If you dig a little deeper into your link, you will notice they are trying to sell those as "motorcycles".

Drink the Coolaid. The add says 2000w and the specifications say 1000w. So what do we believe?
And the thing weighs a ton.

Look at your province regulations, if what they say is true, selling that may get them into trouble.

If you dig a little deeper into your link, you will notice they are trying to sell those as "motorcycles".
It's you who had better read a little deeper.....nothing in that ad says motorcycle and the store that sells them doesn't advertise them as motorcycles...they have pedals on them......although I've yet to see anyone actually pedalling them.

These things are all over the place, on city streets, country roads, all over...

The regulations in my province also have speed limit signs and these are seldom followed, stop signs are ignored so the worry of someone who "might" get in trouble seems kind of bland to me.

Sounds more as if you are making this stuff up.
Could be......it's easy to do over the internet...and even the links that are often attached could be made up.....

Don't really see what skin it would be off your nose if we got some sort of legislation controlling ebikes.....

Do you wear a helmet on your bicycle? I'll bet you do.....do you follow traffic laws while riding your bicycle...? I'll bet you do as well....

I would even wager that if you were on an ebike, you'd probably treat it like a motorcycle....if I'm wrong on any of these points, please feel free to enlighten me.....

I believe these are the sorts of legislation my police friend was talking about.

Could be......it's easy to do over the internet...and even the links that are often attached could be made up.....

Don't really see what skin it would be off your nose if we got some sort of legislation controlling ebikes.....

Do you wear a helmet on your bicycle? I'll bet you do.....do you follow traffic laws while riding your bicycle...? I'll bet you do as well....

I would even wager that if you were on an ebike, you'd probably treat it like a motorcycle....if I'm wrong on any of these points, please feel free to enlighten me.....

I believe these are the sorts of legislation my police friend was talking about.
I would expect your policeman friend to know the law.

If he sees an ebike speeding, he is entitled to check whether it is street legal 750W max, has been tampered with (Almost impossible controlled by a microprocessor) and your police friend has the right to enforce the existing laws.

You keep missing it? WE HAVE LEGISLATION CONTROLLING EBIKES.

If your police friend does not know that, enlighten him.

Helmets on bicycles are not enforced, neither on motorcycles in South Carolina, next my North Carolina where we have to wear one.

I held a Strava KOM record on my bike (cycling) here on a certain section of road for around two years. Buddy tried to break it on an e-bike, could not even get close. I tried it on his e-bike, got worse times than him.

^^^^^^^

There you go Bee, go enlighten your police friend and if you made this story up, time to start working on the next one.

I'm just passing along what I've been told, see and hear........it's not my issue that this upsets you.....
Just passing it along, huh? It’s the incessant hammering without mentioning any of EVs positives that is really tiresome. Whatever “you’ve been told”, the fact you continue to steamroll and basically try to demean all other opinions speaks volumes.
I’m not upset, I just tend to step up and let people know what I think just like you.

I would expect your policeman friend to know the law.

If he sees an ebike speeding, he is entitled to check whether it is street legal 750W max, has been tampered with (Almost impossible controlled by a microprocessor) and your police friend has the right to enforce the existing laws.

You keep missing it? WE HAVE LEGISLATION CONTROLLING EBIKES.

If your police friend does not know that, enlighten him.

Helmets on bicycles are not enforced, neither on motorcycles in South Carolina, next my North Carolina where we have to wear one.

I held a Strava KOM record on my bike (cycling) here on a certain section of road for around two years. Buddy tried to break it on an e-bike, could not even get close. I tried it on his e-bike, got worse times than him.
My police friend is a Staff Sgt and very well versed on the law....all he said is they were having lots of problems with e-bikes and that they (the government) were looking at legislation regarding them...whether it's a new legislation or an amendment is not clear.

As with everywhere these days, police forces are stretched to the max and I'd imagine they have little time to pull over all the e-bikes to ensure they are compliant...they don't even have time to do this with licensed vehicles.........and I don't live in Alberta......

Like the US, each province has it's own hiway traffic act and legislation....

Just passing it along, huh? It’s the incessant hammering without mentioning any of EVs positives that is really tiresome. Whatever “you’ve been told”, the fact you continue to steamroll and basically try to demean all other opinions speaks volumes.
I’m not upset, I just tend to step up and let people know what I think just like you.
This is a very easy fix for you and your being tired of my incessant hammering......

Don't bother coming into this thread...I at no time have remotely entered into your computer and brought you to this thread...

I'm not steamrolling.......and I'm not alone in this thread....I would wager there are many others who feel the same way as I do but don't bother posting.....

I only say what I feel and if it doesn't fit your narrative, I can't help you there.

You drive and ride an ICE vehicle right?

Enough said right there.

My police friend is a Staff Sgt and very well versed on the law....all he said is they were having lots of problems with e-bikes and that they (the government) were looking at legislation regarding them...whether it's a new legislation or an amendment is not clear.

As with everywhere these days, police forces are stretched to the max and I'd imagine they have little time to pull over all the e-bikes to ensure they are compliant...they don't even have time to do this with licensed vehicles.........and I don't live in Alberta......

Like the US, each province has it's own hiway traffic act and legislation....
Where do you live then, let me look it up for you?

This is a very easy fix for you and your being tired of my incessant hammering......

Don't bother coming into this thread...I at no time have remotely entered into your computer and brought you to this thread...
Here is the thing....
You keep polluting this board with non-motorcycle topics, which is fine. But almost all of them have controversy in them.

Darn, I can't even post a motorcycle thread about gas consumption without getting an argument from you that two exactly same motorcycles have totally different gas consumptions. You make these kind of statements without any analysis of perhaps technically what the reason for your belief is, it just is what you tell us you know. No explanation why.

Back