EV vehicles

The Ford Rangers here have either a turbo in line 4 or a twin turbo v-6.......

And we don't have any Suzuki car dealerships here in Canada anymore......a friend had a Samurai and it was a great little suv.....he had a few of them and the oldest one used a motorcycle clutch cable.......
Interesting how markets differ. VW has big market share in overseas countries, plenty Suzuki cars and they are nice. Here in North America, no one would purchase most of those models, as they are 150hp or less.

Just a couple of things, this recharging by braking is really myth for the most part. Honestly, if you drive 50 miles, how much of that is actually spent slowing down? It's a marketing ploy, the primary means of charging their batteries is a generator run off the combustion engine.

From the Toyota website:
Toyota’s high voltage Hybrid Electric 'traction battery' will never run out of charge, as it charges while you drive, with support from the internal petrol combustion engine. The system delivers true synergy between the two power sources. When the engine is running, it charges the battery via the generator; when driving conditions allow it, such as in slow-moving traffic, the generator can cut out the petrol engine and let the electric motor take over for zero-emissions travelling. _ttps://mag.toyota.co.uk/how-does-toyota-hybrid-work/

As you can see from the link, this information is for UK buyers, US websites don't include it I believe, because, they don't have to lol. The Farce is Strong in that nation.
Next is the engine itself.

The main source of power for Toyota's hybrids remains the gasoline engine. But these aren't your ordinary powertrains. They're built for high efficiency and low emissions. The Prius and Camry hybrids work off a four-cylinder, high expansion ratio Atkinson cycle engine. Atkinson cycle engines squeeze optimum energy from gasoline combustion by increasing the expansion ratio and by extracting every last bit of power from the gas-air mix. For more power, the Highlander Hybrid features a V6 Otto cycle engine, which increases efficiency by compressing the fuel mixture before ignition. _ttps://www.markville.com/electrified-vehicles/how-hybrids-work/

That's where the "Gutless" comes in. As long as you drive them like a babies carriage you'll get that top economy. But if you simply went to a smaller capacity car you'd get it too. The Toyota Aygo gets 51~ 61 MPG. So really it's all just a con game. I mean why Bleet on about regenerative braking like it's some perpetual motion machine when the simple truth would probably do? Higher sales of course.

375HP, that's a ton of power, you must feel very contented driving it mate. We have a few down here, 150's and the dual rear wheel 250's but most blokes are sucked into these turbo diesels like it's some sort of a manly thing but they are truly gutless. The Ford Ranger with it's inline 5-cyl turbo is popular. I mean WTF is that? What it is is an old volvo design lol lol. Oh I love passing them, up to 95 km/h my Suzuki Vitara will drop back to 2nd and take off like bullet, dropping into 3-rd at around 130. It's a good gear, a real powerband. The engine is a 3.2L, actually a GM motor, and the auto box is Japanese 5 speed. No one expects to be blown off by a little 4x4. It's quite stylish and has 19" rims, so almost low profile tires, it looks a little out of place in the dirt but I took it through the condamine river road once, a gravel road with about 8 crossings, some a meter or so deep. Boy that turned some heads among the campers in their big tricked out 4x4 trucks :D

Here's an old vid on it. He raves too much about a GPS unit but otherwise it's a good wrap up. Do you have a vid for yours?

We have those Suzukis here, and older models called Sidekicks, and they go amazingly well off road.
I'de have to look for a specs video on my truck, but the nearly 500 foot pounds of torque at 3k rpm is what you really feel, passing at any speed, especially between 60 and 90mph.
It has the 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 with 10 speed automatic transmission, and 3.55 gears with an ectronic locker in the rear.
It has the same hp, but 100 foot pounds more torque than the 5.0 V8 does, and the only engine(a 2.8 twin turbo is available also) available with the Max Tow package, which mine has too.

If we can drift back to the bicycle portion of this thread....

I remember when I was a kid CCM and Raleigh were good name bicycles and most everyone I knew had either one or the other...

How did they somehow become bottom of the barrel bikes?

My wife has a full suspension CCM and it is a pretty stout bike but it's price point was bargain basement...she picked it out because she liked the suspension and color....

I have a Specialized Hard Rock Comp disk and it's decent although the bottom of the barrel for Specialized bikes...but I got it given to me so I'm not complaining......and I've beat the ever loving crap out of it over the years riding complex trails and such....

We have those Suzukis here, and older models called Sidekicks, and they go amazingly well off road.
I'de have to look for a specs video on my truck, but the nearly 500 foot pounds of torque at 3k rpm is what you really feel, passing at any speed, especially between 60 and 90mph.
It has the 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 with 10 speed automatic transmission, and 3.55 gears with an ectronic locker in the rear.
It has the same hp, but 100 foot pounds more torque than the 5.0 V8 does, and the only engine(a 2.8 twin turbo is available also) available with the Max Tow package, which mine has too.
The wife's Edge has the 2.3 twin turbo in it...I sure wouldn't want it in a full sized pick up....it pushes the Edge ok though....

My Ram does ok for itself...I have a piggyback Diablo tuner on it with a Vararam intake, factory 3.92 gears and short tube headers that don't add any power but got rid of the dreaded manifold bolt breakage....I like my truck to be quiet....I also put a Pedal Commander on it to eliminate throttle lag...

The Sidekicks were a great SUV......too bad Suzuki folded up their auto industry here...

The wife's Edge has the 2.3 twin turbo in it...I sure wouldn't want it in a full sized pick up....it pushes the Edge ok though....

My Ram does ok for itself...I have a piggyback Diablo tuner on it with a Vararam intake, factory 3.92 gears and short tube headers that don't add any power but got rid of the dreaded manifold bolt breakage....I like my truck to be quiet....I also put a Pedal Commander on it to eliminate throttle lag...

The Sidekicks were a great SUV......too bad Suzuki folded up their auto industry here...

I like my truck quiet too, and hate an aftermarket exhaust on a V6 anyway.
Some sound good on V8's if they aren't obnoxiously loud.
Fortunately mine doesn't need a Pedal Commander, as the stock ratio is really good.

I like my truck quiet too, and hate an aftermarket exhaust on a V6 anyway.
Some sound good on V8's if they aren't obnoxiously loud.
Fortunately mine doesn't need a Pedal Commander, as the stock ratio is really good.
For some reasons these hemis had a slight throttle lag from off throttle....I noticed it while turning left at a light.....stab the throttle and it sits there then takes off.....now it will light the tires if I'm not careful (or in the wrong setting).

For some reasons these hemis had a slight throttle lag from off throttle....I noticed it while turning left at a light.....stab the throttle and it sits there then takes off.....now it will light the tires if I'm not careful (or in the wrong setting).
Hi. My frind had a Dodge motor home v8 he towed a trailer with a TR6 race car that won the SCCA"s GT 3 championship in Divison 1. Well the Dodge got 8 miles to the gallon. We put on long tube headers with duals and got 12 miles to tje gallon.

I think you are misreading the whole thing...

In short, yes the braking is not designed to recharge the battery, it is designed to recapture the energy into the battery, rather than waste heat. For that very reason, you will find city miles per gallon actually to be better than highway miles per gallon.
Misreading the whole thing? I said basically what you stated above. In stop and go city traffic the contribution would be ok, but not on the freeway, or any trip at sustained speeds. I could probably dig up some data on actual charge rates but why bother, it will mean nothing to those that believe in tech for the sake of tech and the rest of us are already made our decision on the matter.

I was in the Bike shop the other day getting a new pair of black pants, Cargo pants. They have been off the shelves for ages and they are totally handy with those extra big pockets on the side. I tried on my usual size and to my surprise they are a stretch material. Thick cotton like the rest but with some elastic woven into the fabric "covec". Very comfortable, Bull-it brand. The pockets fit my huge new smart phone and you can hardly feel it there with your knees up. The bottoms of the legs have little zips too so you can put them over your boots easily. All in all a great leap forward in design I thought.

The Girl at that section said my fork springs had arrived so I went over to the service counter to chat with the manager and book in. While there I toyed with a 'special' tool in a bag on the counter. What's this? He raised his eyebrows "For the KTM's, to get the bearings off the crank. We were using an air chisel but that was a bit rough." I turned aside to look across the orange orchard and said "They'll never get any of my money, too unreliable. "He nodded his head, the service center was sick to death of working on them too.

But people KTM, lots of people. So what does that prove? That people love the color Orange? That they like the electronics or the extra 10 or 20 HP and are prepared to sacrifice reliability for that? People make decisions based on all sorts of reasons, and sometimes it's just to be "seen" riding or driving a particular type of vehicle, the new one on the block. This sort of virtue/wealth signalling is common in our culture, greatly assisted by consumer debt which allows people to buy whatever they like without worrying about how much it costs. But that's really a topic for the "I must be obsolete" thread.

If we can drift back to the bicycle portion of this thread....

I remember when I was a kid CCM and Raleigh were good name bicycles and most everyone I knew had either one or the other...

How did they somehow become bottom of the barrel bikes?
I think labor costs perhaps. The vast majority of bikes come out of the Giant factory in Taiwan, other brands source frames etc from them. At least that's what I read years ago. I ride Giant Toughroads, I'm only in it for the exercise, not trying to win any races and the wider tires are perfect for getting off onto the verge when the big trucks or cars come up behind me (we have no little lane off a white line here). You have to slow down some when you get into the grass and dirt, but that's ok, speeding back up is just more exercise. I do most of my highway riding at 2~3 am where out here all I see are kangaroos. In the daylight hours I stick to the sealed rural backroads where traffic is intermittent.

I owned a racer (rodie) 20 years ago, but I found the efficiency, the higher speeds and longer distance you could go counter intuitive. I just wanted Brute exercise and the less time I spent among cars seemed better for me. I know the racers are fun and I get the whole 'pack' ride thing but it just never got into my blood. It's a city thing too, out here we all mostly ride alone and only once or twice have I seen 3 or 4 riders all together. It's a shame they have to be so arrogant on the road, gives the rest of us a bad name. I probably give motorcyclists a bad name :laugh: The way I pass cars and take some corners. I'll work on that...

Bicycling is different though, ... It's the legs, the endurance, the strength, purely his physical condition which counts.
I remember 20 years ago ... 25 years ago, when I was at the top of my game, riding of all things a Giant Yukon mtb but set up for the road with narrower tires and a long steering neck. I could get sustained bursts of up to 35 km/h on the big ring and I'd sneak up behind a group on racers and glide past them like I rode that speed all day. I got some looks, not me, but the heads looking down at the bike and probably thinking WTF! Now I ride in the dark and pray the wind doesn't pick up :laugh:

One of my friends has a hypothesis that if and when EV are mainstream they will be regulated and mostly automated.

He thinks that people may not even own a vehicle but rather "order" one when they need to go somewhere...it would show up automated and drive them where they need to go then return to a central recharge/dispatch terminal....

In the ordering process a person would indicate what size of vehicle they need along with the destination, this way they will be dispatched the right vehicle to do the job.....need to go to Home Depot and a truck shows up, need to go to another city and a long range vehicle shows up....

He said of course people will own their own vehicles as well but their ability to actually drive them will be limited.

I can see his way of thinking....

Back