EV vehicles

One of my friends has a hypothesis that if and when EV are mainstream they will be regulated and mostly automated.

He thinks that people may not even own a vehicle but rather "order" one when they need to go somewhere...it would show up automated and drive them where they need to go then return to a central recharge/dispatch terminal....
Hypothesis? I have read those exact words in news stories from 2017 when the autonomous vehicle hype was at its shrillest. Your friend is just parroting old media stories verbatim as though they were his own thoughts. That's very common with people who let other people do their thinking for them.

May 2017-- Within a decade or two, technology, infrastructure and government regulation will exist that will enable you to travel the same distances, without actually owning the vehicle. Instead you will order a vehicle with your smart phone and after some time, a taxi will stop in front of your house --ttps://deepresource.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/by-2030-you-wont-own-a-car/

May 2016-- Car makers look to a future where you won't own a car --ttps://www.afr.com/companies/transport/car-makers-look-to-a-future-where-you-wont-own-a-car-20160525-gp37cc

May 2017-- In 13 Years You won't Own a Car --ttps://ktrh.iheart.com/content/2017-05-16-in-13-years-you-wont-own-a-car/

Hypothesis? I have read those exact words in news stories from 2017 when the autonomous vehicle hype was at its shrillest. Your friend is just parroting old media stories verbatim as though they were his own thoughts. That's very common with people who let other people do their thinking for them.

May 2017-- Within a decade or two, technology, infrastructure and government regulation will exist that will enable you to travel the same distances, without actually owning the vehicle. Instead you will order a vehicle with your smart phone and after some time, a taxi will stop in front of your house --ttps://deepresource.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/by-2030-you-wont-own-a-car/

May 2016-- Car makers look to a future where you won't own a car --ttps://www.afr.com/companies/transport/car-makers-look-to-a-future-where-you-wont-own-a-car-20160525-gp37cc

May 2017-- In 13 Years You won't Own a Car --ttps://ktrh.iheart.com/content/2017-05-16-in-13-years-you-wont-own-a-car/
You type like you are angry......no need for anger......

I have never seen the information you have provided and if my friend who is a financial wizard and follows financial trends very closely saw them and regurgitated it to me, that could very well be the case.........it seems he was speaking the truth as he knew it.

As you don't know my friend from a hole in the ground, I will let your comment slide.............

Last edited:

In some larger cities that's becoming the norm. including buses, trains and Zipcar, an Avis owned venture that leaves cars available for rental parked around the city much like one might see electric scooters or bicycles. Many, many people don't own a car for practical reasons, but to imagine taking away the right to own a car is conspiracy theory crap. I don't see it spreading to rural areas for obvious reasons but it still has become a part of society. It's not a prediction any more.

I will say something supporting EV......

This morning I had to run something up to my wife's work place and on the way back I got stuck behind a mid 2000's Jeep Patriot that was blowing blue smoke.....it was like a cloud coming behind if....so much so that I had to pull off to avoid it as my throat was getting sore....

I waited until I saw it disappear down the road before I pulled back on but you know something? That stink lingered in the air almost my entire ride home even though the vehicle was far ahead....

Even now I have a slight headache even though I took the long way home down a couple country roads with my visor cracked....

That was nasty, it brought me back to the days of yesteryear when as a kid we would visit Toronto and a permanent smog fog blanketed the city....

This morning I had to run something up to my wife's work place and on the way back I got stuck behind a mid 2000's Jeep Patriot that was blowing blue smoke.....it was like a cloud coming behind if....so much so that I had to pull off to avoid it as my throat was getting sore....

I waited until I saw it disappear down the road before I pulled back on but you know something? That stink lingered in the air almost my entire ride home even though the vehicle was far ahead....

Even now I have a slight headache even though I took the long way home down a couple country roads with my visor cracked....

That was nasty, it brought me back to the days of yesteryear when as a kid we would visit Toronto and a permanent smog fog blanketed the city....

I've had that happen alot over the years, and again last week, so I just took the next turn to get away from it, as there was nowhere safe to pass anytime soon.
And yeah, it is amazing how long that lingers in the air, which is why I turned vs pulling over for a minute or so.
The last deer I hit was because I passed an F-250 diesel with no emissions.
I had been behind it for a few miles, and at one red light for couple minutes.
Besides just choking on the fumes, it felt like my eyes were going to melt.
There comes a point when some vehicles no longer need to be on the road.
We don't have the tailpipe sniffers for annual inspection here either, not that I want that(as they will kick out vehicles with no noticeable exhaust smell), but I see how they can help clean up more populated areas.

Jeep has been building really crappy cars in the past decade. I see a lot of derelict Patriots.

I think this is a better positive piece on EVs.

This would not be an easy trip no matter what did it. Here an EV has done it.

I have no reason to challenge the factual claims made. I'm assuming it's true.
I've read there were a myriad of support vehicles involved....ICE vehicles at that....

I consider the source of the article and take that with a grain of salt......

I've read there were a myriad of support vehicles involved....ICE vehicles at that....

Like I said, on the surface they made it seem like it was all EV. I didn't reading any support vehicles etc. If you have anything to add that shows there were, I believe that just as much. Like any link online, it only presents what it presents.

I remember a link that touted that EVs were 6000% less likely to catch fire than EVs. That link was touted as truthful data. By an intellectual Titan.

So yeah, I'd totally believe the Cyber truck link could have contrarian things not included

Hey remember that posting of the Cybertruck that was frolicking along the beach to convince us how capable they appeared to be?

I wonder if this was 15 mins later or a whole new vehicle?

FB_IMG_1726494431891.jpg

Hey remember that posting of the Cybertruck that was frolicking along the beach to convince us how capable they appeared to be?

I wonder if this was 15 mins later or a whole new vehicle?

View attachment 1687531
I've read that EV flooded with sea water can have a very bad reaction and some catch fire....I can't recall but it was a flood somewhere in Florida where this happened...

Maybe @Blanca BusaLess would know more about it as our resident Floridian.....?

Back