EV vehicles

Getting more on track to this thread.

That is a bit misleading.

We measure CO2 in parts per million, so the guy making a statement that 420ppm is around 0.4% means he is mathematically incorrect. Wrong math as there is a big difference between the density of air and that of CO2, go do the math. He really did not do his homework and those in the audience have no idea, neither any scientific background regarding the three fundamental gas laws.

Although this is not linear, we know through empirical data research that an increase from 200ppm to 400ppm relates to around almost 2 degrees F.

We also know that this is a fine balance maintained by mother nature, through vegetation and the oceans. We further know that once we reach the tipping points, humans will force mother nature to start from scratch through mass extinction of animal and plant life. This will be nothing new to mother nature, she has done that before, with the exception that humans were not the cause.

I'm waiting for Yellowstone to erupt that's why I'm going to get my 4 gallon ration of gas this month from Joe Biden and go for a ride.
I just read a science piece on a hole in the ocean found off the coast of the PNW. Heated fresh water is spewing up from a hole on the floor. It's continuous. They've been studying it for like 5 years now. That hole is apparently over the techtonic plates that cause earthquakes. Scientist, being scientist, believe it's the lubricant for the plates. And it being superheated means the plates are moving and generating heat. And scientist, being scientist, calculate the amount of energy needed for this and surmise that a massive earthquake or quakes are brewing for the PNW.

So to get back on to the thread. We will apparently lose a lot of cars there soon. :-)

That is a bit misleading.

We measure CO2 in parts per million, so the guy making a statement that 420ppm is around 0.4% means he is mathematically incorrect. Wrong math as there is a big difference between the density of air and that of CO2, go do the math. He really did not do his homework and those in the audience have no idea, neither any scientific background regarding the three fundamental gas laws.

Although this is not linear, we know through empirical data research that an increase from 200ppm to 400ppm relates to around almost 2 degrees F.

We also know that this is a fine balance maintained by mother nature, through vegetation and the oceans. We further know that once we reach the tipping points, humans will force mother nature to start from scratch through mass extinction of animal and plant life. This will be nothing new to mother nature, she has done that before, with the exception that humans were not the cause.
Ummm you're leaving out the parts about how the green policies are killing our ability to get things done. We have legislated ourselves into a hole that's getting deeper.

Speaking of homework, nobody in charge of reducing CO2 knew how much CO2 was in the atmosphere. Or how it was measured. All they knew was cars and trucks were causing 49% of it. What's the other 51%? What is being done about that part?

Last edited:
Speaking of homework, nobody in charge of reducing CO2 knew how much CO2 was in the atmosphere. Or how it was measured.
That has unfortunately become the American norm.

The accountant or sales guy who runs a complex technical manufacturing plant, rather than an experienced Engineer.
Then you get the college Engineer who has never held a wrench in his hand, trying to manage the trades.
In short, those in charge not knowing what they are doing and taking for granted any BS they are fed, as they don't know any better.

When still young and pretty, doing business in Japan mid 90's the first thing I learnt was the guy with his PhD starts right next to the non academic guy on the production floor. If he can use his PhD to better his performance and add value, he gets promoted, if not, he remains on the production floor. And if the guy who has no qualifications adds a whole lot more value, he ends up in management after climbing the ladder step by step. Toyota's management motto back then was "Don't ask someone to do something, should you not know how to do it yourself."

In short, we have a serious leadership issue.

That has unfortunately become the American norm.

The accountant or sales guy who runs a complex technical manufacturing plant, rather than an experienced Engineer.
Then you get the college Engineer who has never held a wrench in his hand, trying to manage the trades.
In short, those in charge not knowing what they are doing and taking for granted any BS they are fed, as they don't know any better.

When still young and pretty, doing business in Japan mid 90's the first thing I learnt was the guy with his PhD starts right next to the non academic guy on the production floor. If he can use his PhD to better his performance and add value, he gets promoted, if not, he remains on the production floor. And if the guy who has no qualifications adds a whole lot more value, he ends up in management after climbing the ladder step by step. Toyota's management motto back then was "Don't ask someone to do something, should you not know how to do it yourself."

In short, we have a serious leadership issue.
Oh no doubt about that. America is dumber now than it was 30 years ago.

I was recently having a semi business meeting with a retired hospital group CEO. He has a few more years in the saddle than me. He made a couple of good points. One was if you're under the age of about 40-45, you never knew what a great thing we had as a country. When we were actually an example for the world in nearly every category. And how well we lived as a citizen here. So everyone under that age has grown up accepting the mediocrity that has further eroded.

And to your point, hospital administrators and most of the decision makers in the healthcare industry, aren't medically educated. Yet they are in charge of telling the actual trained doctors how to administer healthcare.

He's right on both accounts!

Not much is being done right in this country (The U.S).

Oh no doubt about that. America is dumber now than it was 30 years ago.

I was recently having a semi business meeting with a retired hospital group CEO. He has a few more years in the saddle than me. He made a couple of good points. One was if you're under the age of about 40-45, you never knew what a great thing we had as a country. When we were actually an example for the world in nearly every category. And how well we lived as a citizen here. So everyone under that age has grown up accepting the mediocrity that has further eroded.

And to your point, hospital administrators and most of the decision makers in the healthcare industry, aren't medically educated. Yet they are in charge of telling the actual trained doctors how to administer healthcare.

He's right on both accounts!

Not much is being done right in this country (The U.S).
Hi
OH NO. We must all buy electric cars. We must give all our money to the goverent and AOC to save us.

Hi
OH NO. We must all buy electric cars. We must give all our money to the goverent and AOC to save us.
There will be a time (sadly) when you have no choice but to get an EV....

Many countries are already banning or reducing ICE platforms....

Are we ready to go to all EV.....no......will we have a choice.....I don't believe so.

......and you had better sit down......you have been and always will be giving your money to the government.....taxes take care of that.

There will be a time (sadly) when you have no choice but to get an EV....

Many countries are already banning or reducing ICE platforms....

Are we ready to go to all EV.....no......will we have a choice.....I don't believe so.

......and you had better sit down......you have been and always will be giving your money to the government.....taxes take care of that.
Hi. We will have to give all of it every cent.

One thing I've noticed is that EV are not as quiet as we are all led to believe....while out walking this morning, a Toyota Corolla passed by and it was very quiet with little road noise...a few minutes later a Tesla went by and it had quite a bit of road noise....most of the road noise comes from the tires I know but I think it has a bit to do with the resonation of the sound off the chassis as well.

What will probably be the biggest reduction in road noise will be transports and their jake brakes, tuner fart can cars and lifted trucks with those ginormous tires....some of which actually hurt the ears when they pass by.

One thing I've noticed is that EV are not as quiet as we are all led to believe....while out walking this morning, a Toyota Corolla passed by and it was very quiet with little road noise...a few minutes later a Tesla went by and it had quite a bit of road noise....most of the road noise comes from the tires I know but I think it has a bit to do with the resonation of the sound off the chassis as well.

What will probably be the biggest reduction in road noise will be transports and their jake brakes, tuner fart can cars and lifted trucks with those ginormous tires....some of which actually hurt the ears when they pass by.
Tesla's are not known to well built cars. They could quiet it down. But Musk looks for function rather than ergos

I think emissions testing needs to come back and include commercial vehicles....

I followed an older cube van which is used by a local moving company and it looked like a 2 stroke with all the blue smoke coming out of it...

And down the road a piece a dump truck pulled out and it was almost obscured by black smoke....

the toyota corolla is available in hybrid and when it’s running on ev mode it will be comparable to other ev cars but not when it’s running on the ICE. i have driven both of those cars back to back. the gas engine is smooth but definitely not as quiet as an EV.

the toyota corolla is available in hybrid and when it’s running on ev mode it will be comparable to other ev cars but not when it’s running on the ICE. i have driven both of those cars back to back. the gas engine is smooth but definitely not as quiet as an EV.
My neighbor has a Toyota Highlander hybrid and it makes a weird whining noise when in hybrid mode...I noticed this when one of their friends visited with a Toyota RAV4 hybrid the other day...I was outside and was wondering what the weird noise was..

They said their Highlander does good as far as fuel economy goes.

My older son wanted to order a RAV4 hybrid but they told him it would be 18 months...so he ordered a Santa Fe hybrid and it should be in in 6-7 months....

I think emissions testing needs to come back and include commercial vehicles....

I followed an older cube van which is used by a local moving company and it looked like a 2 stroke with all the blue smoke coming out of it...

And down the road a piece a dump truck pulled out and it was almost obscured by black smoke....
While I agree in principle. It impacts the cost the consumer will have to pay. The manufacturers would love to force everyone to buy new clean burn mandated ones. It keeps the little guys from being competitive and allows them to raise the cost of goods in lock step.

There is some companies that want to provide work around. Hylion being one. Thier approach is retrofit an existing truck with a Hybrid system. It exceeds all current emissions and steps well ahead for future tighter standards.

A retrofit can keep existing trucks on the road for about a 60K investment. Much cheaper than 200K+ on new.

Hylion is being shorted by funds that are sponsored by the likes of Volvo, Kenworth, etc.

They don't want there to be an alternative choice that burns clean. There's more money to be made to force old out of existence.

Ruthless business

An interesting read....

i just did a 5hr road trip on an EV. i charged it twice. used the time to get a drink and use facilities. i partially agree with the articles statement of estimated range not always matching what you actually get. i found the biggest issue is speed. the range is fairly accurate if you hover around the posted speed limit. if you exceed posted limits in the +2 digit range your mpgE will go down hard. the writer did not mention his driving habits only factors that affect range. her didnt say if he was driving 5,10,20 etc over the posted limits. to be honest who isn’t speeding. cruising the busa on the hwy can get me in 4x mpg range but if i start having too much fun it will drop to the 2x range in very happily hurry.

Back