EV vehicles

Interesting article about the local danger of old, EV batteries and what to do with them.. And this is just in Au..

Quote:
Research commissioned by the Battery Stewardship Council (BSC) and conducted by the Institute of Sustainable Futures at the University of Sydney indicates there will be almost 30,000 tonnes of end-of-life EV batteries by 2030.

Interesting article about the local danger of old, EV batteries and what to do with them.. And this is just in Au..

Quote:
Research commissioned by the Battery Stewardship Council (BSC) and conducted by the Institute of Sustainable Futures at the University of Sydney indicates there will be almost 30,000 tonnes of end-of-life EV batteries by 2030.
There was little to no forethought into the recycling of these batteries....they are dangerous to transport and store and almost impossible to extinguish when on fire.

Maybe in the future the battery packs will be made safer and in armored capsules so they don't get damaged in a collision. Insurance companies are writing off EV even if they suffer slight damage due to the battery packs.

A little information on the industrial EV....

Bee, so I don’t think I have ever seen 30 semi trucks parked at a gas station at the same time.

To his numbers, if we want to charge 30 trucks from empty to full charge in one hour, it will pose a maximum demand of approximately 9mW, which is about 30% of the installed capacity for a small city.

I don’t think we will see 30 trucks charging in one spot in a small city soon. What I am seeing over here is utility companies planning rapidly to work with charging station suppliers right now for distribution.

In the mean time, we are breathing all the smoke you folks are sending this way, from NY, Philly and PA. One of my guys doing a job right now in Philly is coming home, says he can’t sleep at night, it is that bad.

Worst ever in Canada, highest temperatures and drought conditions.

Don’t you think you guys should start investing in copper and lithium?

There are mega Billions being invested right now for battery recycling plants. Albermarle and others.

Bee, so I don’t think I have ever seen 30 semi trucks parked at a gas station at the same time.

To his numbers, if we want to charge 30 trucks from empty to full charge in one hour, it will pose a maximum demand of approximately 9mW, which is about 30% of the installed capacity for a small city.

I don’t think we will see 30 trucks charging in one spot in a small city soon. What I am seeing over here is utility companies planning rapidly to work with charging station suppliers right now for distribution.

In the mean time, we are breathing all the smoke you folks are sending this way, from NY, Philly and PA. One of my guys doing a job right now in Philly is coming home, says he can’t sleep at night, it is that bad.

Worst ever in Canada, highest temperatures and drought conditions.

Don’t you think you guys should start investing in copper and lithium?

There are mega Billions being invested right now for battery recycling plants. Albermarle and others.
I've seen many more than that parked at truck stops....

I was at a truck stop in Texas one time and they had shuttles running the drivers back and forth to their trucks as there were so many trucks there.

If EV takes over and delves into the trucking industry, you can be guaranteed there will be more than 30 semis requiring a charge at a single truck stop in the future.....

Lots of wild fires but nothing new....a low pressure is hovering along the east coast causing a north to south wind...once that low pressure moves on, so will the smoke. Temperatures are decent here, as for drought, it comes and goes, we've had very wet springs and summers and very dry ones depending on the year....we might have more morons out in the woods these days who have allowed their bon fires to get out of hand causing these wild fires...there was some arsehole setting them...they caught that person and he set 3 wild fires on his own....they should let the people who lost their homes because of his wildfires get hold of him....

Don't know what destroying more earth by mining copper and Lithium will do to make the planet a better place....those mines are pretty nasty in their own right....

The investment to infrastructures and recycling plants will have to be massive.

I've seen many more than that parked at truck stops....

I was at a truck stop in Texas one time and they had shuttles running the drivers back and forth to their trucks as there were so many trucks there.

If EV takes over and delves into the trucking industry, you can be guaranteed there will be more than 30 semis requiring a charge at a single truck stop in the future.....

Lots of wild fires but nothing new....a low pressure is hovering along the east coast causing a north to south wind...once that low pressure moves on, so will the smoke. Temperatures are decent here, as for drought, it comes and goes, we've had very wet springs and summers and very dry ones depending on the year....we might have more morons out in the woods these days who have allowed their bon fires to get out of hand causing these wild fires...there was some arsehole setting them...they caught that person and he set 3 wild fires on his own....they should let the people who lost their homes because of his wildfires get hold of him....

Don't know what destroying more earth by mining copper and Lithium will do to make the planet a better place....those mines are pretty nasty in their own right....

The investment to infrastructures and recycling plants will have to be massive.
Is a truck stop and a gas station the same thing?

I guess for a truck it would be as that's where they fuel up and rest....

I never see a semi truck at any gas station where I fuel my vehicles...

Only at truck stops...
Bee, it will be interesting to revisit this discussion about 10 years from today. If we are still around.

I believe in Physics and applied math, combined with empirical test data. It kind of surrounded me through a 45 year career. In my work we rarely guessed and could not afford to shoot from the hip. On my personal property, I have a negative CO2 footprint, calculated to about 80% accuracy. I can get more accurate, but that will take a whole lot of effort. As a person my footprint is negative somewhere between 30-40 tons a year. My neighbor Tim Sweeny’s (Google him) property next to me consumes around 90,000 tons of CO2 per year. We understand the science, the chemical engineering and the math. We care.

In my career, my biggest challenge was always working with the one guy, lacking an educated background, believing in his gut and believing in what was simply wrong.

Bee, it will be interesting to revisit this discussion about 10 years from today. If we are still around.

I believe in Physics and applied math, combined with empirical test data. It kind of surrounded me through a 45 year career. In my work we rarely guessed and could not afford to shoot from the hip. On my personal property, I have a negative CO2 footprint, calculated to about 80% accuracy. I can get more accurate, but that will take a whole lot of effort. As a person my footprint is negative somewhere between 30-40 tons a year. My neighbor Tim Sweeny’s (Google him) property next to me consumes around 90,000 tons of CO2 per year. We understand the science, the chemical engineering and the math. We care.

In my career, my biggest challenge was always working with the one guy, lacking an educated background, believing in his gut and believing in what was simply wrong.
In my career I had many challenges, one of which was not getting killed...believing in my gut has saved many others and myself time and time again....

I spent lots of time rescuing highly educated, intelligent people from situations they got themselves into....I don't hold a high regard on education alone although I have lots of education I did graduate from the University of Life with high honors because I survived this long.

As for EV tech goes, I'm skeptical at best that this is either the best tech or the cleanest tech we can have.....perhaps ICE is outdated however, more can probably done to give ICE a much better carbon footprint than it has now..

For those that tell me EV has a very low carbon foot print hasn't seen the LI, copper and other metal mines in work nor do they take into consideration it still takes petroleum and power to make EV...lots of that power derives from coal fired power plants..

Nor do they take into consideration the fuel/petroleum used to deliver both completed EV and parts to processing plants and dealerships....

The only benefit is the end user....however there is still a carbon piece to this as well...in many cases charging EV comes from the commercial power grid, a grid that is outdated and over tasked and in many cases is powered by petroleum or coal....

Long term, I believe the internal combustion engine has a small chance of surviving the next century. But it will be hydrogen powered.

The EV has a much better chance of replacing the ICE though, much simpler, less moving parts, much less maintenance.

This is me:

This is Bee:

Let's hope we all live long enough to see how this pans out.
That pretty much sums it up......

On a side note:

I get a chuckle out of the EV thumpers (not yourself) that tout about their EV carbon foot print yet think nothing of jumping on a plane to fly to an exotic destination, fly to a work conference when it could have been done remotely or take a pleasure cruise on a ship.....

May I ask why you keep your Busa? If you are committed to caring, you should get rid of that carbon adding component.

May I also ask you to walk through some math with us?

The U.S. ranks 2nd at 5,416 million tons annually of CO2 production in the world. 14% of the worlds total. Let's spend the $50T it is proposed we spend to become carbon neutral.

We are left with 86% carbon emissions in the world.

How does that help the world?
We spend the proposed $50T. We still have global warming. Just 14% less of it. So what is the applied math here? Like .02 of 1% of the atmosphere has less CO2 now?

I care too. How do you force the rest of the 86% to become neutral? If you're answer looks anything like we the U.S. have to pay other countries tab too, our education will be askew from one another. Maybe your country should pay some of India's tab? Or some of China's tab? Because I as an American will already be sharing part of a $50T tab that does no good in solving the rest of the 86% left that will continue to warm the earth. In essence wasting more of my tax $ on a problem that won't be solved. Let's tax you to pay for India to get clean. I mean you care and stuff.

May I ask why you keep your Busa? If you are committed to caring, you should get rid of that carbon adding component.

May I also ask you to walk through some math with us?

The U.S. ranks 2nd at 5,416 million tons annually of CO2 production in the world. 14% of the worlds total. Let's spend the $50T it is proposed we spend to become carbon neutral.

We are left with 86% carbon emissions in the world.

How does that help the world?
We spend the proposed $50T. We still have global warming. Just 14% less of it. So what is the applied math here? Like .02 of 1% of the atmosphere has less CO2 now?

I care too. How do you force the rest of the 86% to become neutral? If you're answer looks anything like we the U.S. have to pay other countries tab too, our education will be askew from one another. Maybe your country should pay some of India's tab? Or some of China's tab? Because I as an American will already be sharing part of a $50T tab that does no good in solving the rest of the 86% left that will continue to warm the earth. In essence wasting more of my tax $ on a problem that won't be solved. Let's tax you to pay for India to get clean. I mean you care and stuff.
What do you suggest we do?
Nothing?

Nothing?
If I may...??

To save ICE, there are some stiff realizations that need to be made however unpopular they may be....

I'd like to see mandatory emissions testing on vehicles and stricter penalties for emission failures.....even on commercial vehicles...things like DEF removal needs to be banned and old worn out CO2 belching vehicles need to be banned from roadways.

I'm about modifications of vehicles but realize that this is contrary to emissions so that needs to be outlawed as well.....anything that removes any part of the emission system needs to be banned.

Eliminate drive throughs......and enforce anti-idling laws...

But just like @TallTom says, it has to be a global reckoning for it to be effective.....airborne, water and ground pollution all need to be tackled together....

It's a challenge to name a lake, river or stream where one can go drink the water directly from the source.....and that's a problem....

If I may...??

To save ICE, there are some stiff realizations that need to be made however unpopular they may be....

I'd like to see mandatory emissions testing on vehicles and stricter penalties for emission failures.....even on commercial vehicles...things like DEF removal needs to be banned and old worn out CO2 belching vehicles need to be banned from roadways.

I'm about modifications of vehicles but realize that this is contrary to emissions so that needs to be outlawed as well.....anything that removes any part of the emission system needs to be banned.

Eliminate drive throughs......and enforce anti-idling laws...

But just like @TallTom says, it has to be a global reckoning for it to be effective.....airborne, water and ground pollution all need to be tackled together....

It's a challenge to name a lake, river or stream where one can go drink the water directly from the source.....and that's a problem....
China is going to do whatever they want to do. India and other 3rd world countries will beg poverty. So yeah, I don't want to pay for the whole worlds problems. Yet again!
Nothing?
Hand over 75% of your net worth. Cuz you care. It's simple applied math. Keep the problem in perspective. While you care and you are carbon neutral. Most of the rest of the world can't afford to reinvent their economies. Your efforts, while noble, are not going to change the overall problem.

We as the U.S. can't spend enough $ to make a difference. And we have way more than you do to spend.

Here's how to solve it. Make going green profitable. The whole world will compete for that.

I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

EVs are a joke and the way they are made, the only way is worse for the environment than gas cars. Anyone who has ever seen a pic of a lithium mine would know this.
Then there’s this…..

More and more things being discovered about them that is not good

China is going to do whatever they want to do. India and other 3rd world countries will beg poverty. So yeah, I don't want to pay for the whole worlds problems. Yet again!

Hand over 75% of your net worth. Cuz you care. It's simple applied math. Keep the problem in perspective. While you care and you are carbon neutral. Most of the rest of the world can't afford to reinvent their economies. Your efforts, while noble, are not going to change the overall problem.

We as the U.S. can't spend enough $ to make a difference. And we have way more than you do to spend.

Here's how to solve it. Make going green profitable. The whole world will compete for that.

I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
This right here
Make going green profitable. The whole world will compete for that.

The economics are not there yet. US is pinning hopes on battery/electric/wind. Missing out on other large items like hydrogen. The issue, again, comes down to being able to make money.

Back