What Did You Do To Your Busa, Today?

We need pics.
Ok, here ya go, and I’ve included a bonus pic of an XR200A (1980) that I’ve just done a lot of work on for a good friend of mine.
Rebuilt the motor including the gearbox (3rd gear selector worn and damaged), and new carb. Spent many hours on it, mostly a labour of love.
Goes great now, a lot of fun down at the river!

CE9B8813-757E-4CC8-ADB6-5A26A69502EB.jpeg

4F83296C-9C7E-4375-919E-A3CC217F8085.jpeg

08160F72-8A8B-4AA5-9D95-8419FBBA3BD3.jpeg

E252AC6C-9B25-482D-A2A5-3628C3946EDB.jpeg

I dropped the bike off to have the springs replaced. Odd thing about the job was that I only had about 8 clicks of rebound instead of the usual 18 before, which I assumed was due to a cockup in a previous rebuild but no, as it turns out the forks had been revalued. Now I have 5 clicks of adjustment? All very strange, but the bike handles better for sure. The rebound is set out at minimum. As it the preload.

springs-2.jpg

I dropped the bike off to have the springs replaced. Odd thing about the job was that I only had about 8 clicks of rebound instead of the usual 18 before, which I assumed was due to a cockup in a previous rebuild but no, as it turns out the forks had been revalued. Now I have 5 clicks of adjustment? All very strange, but the bike handles better for sure. The rebound is set out at minimum. As it the preload.

View attachment 1686872
Losing clicks on the adjusters is caused by incorrect measurements on the damping rod upper threads….and this causes the adjustment rod that sits inside the damping rod to be either too high or too low to enable the full range of adjustment, in your bike’s case, from 18 clicks reduced to 5 clicks.
I’ve been through this problem many times on my clients’ bikes, it happens on reassembly way more often than you think, it’s crucial for the damping rod to be set at 11mm thread from top of rod to adjustment lock nut.
This is the reason why you don’t have a full range of adjustment from my experience.
But, if revalving has reduced the available number of adjustment clicks, that’s news to me.. never heard of that before.

8183D66C-23F7-4760-A0F7-CF69481C6286.jpeg

FF644E42-680B-4287-ACAD-0993AA94CBF4.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, here ya go, and I’ve included a bonus pic of an XR200A (1980) that I’ve just done a lot of work on for a good friend of mine.
Rebuilt the motor including the gearbox (3rd gear selector worn and damaged), and new carb. Spent many hours on it, mostly a labour of love.

View attachment 1686867

View attachment 1686868

View attachment 1686869

View attachment 1686870
Gotta love those old bikes....they were made to be tough.....my son had a newer '80s XR350R and it was a really decent bike except that stupid two carb set up that made it a bear to start sometimes....

Look at the size of that license plate on that beastie.....wow!

View attachment 1686867

View attachment 1686868

View attachment 1686869

View attachment 1686870

That XR looks great, nice job, and I love those breathable mesh seat covers, I got one for my Goldwing the other day.
I was riding it last night and just thinking how I wished it had outside air temperature on the guages too...it would have read Miserable, lol
I need to get one.

Losing clicks on the adjusters is caused by incorrect measurements on the damping rod upper threads….and this causes the adjustment rod that sits inside the damping rod to be either too high or too low to enable the full range of adjustment, in your bike’s case, from 18 clicks reduced to 5 clicks.
I’ve been through this problem many times on my clients’ bikes, it happens on reassembly way more often than you think, it’s crucial for the damping rod to be set at 11mm thread from top of rod to adjustment lock nut.
This is the reason why you don’t have a full range of adjustment from my experience.
But, if revalving has reduced the available number of adjustment clicks, that’s news to me.. never heard of that before.

View attachment 1686876

View attachment 1686877

Yeah, somebody screwed that up, and someone else screwed it up some more.

View attachment 1686872

They screwed it up too.

Gotta love those old bikes....they were made to be tough.....my son had a newer '80s XR350R and it was a really decent bike except that stupid two carb set up that made it a bear to start sometimes....

Look at the size of that license plate on that beastie.....wow!
Licence plate is the same size as the one on the Busa… they are small compared to UK plates lol.

Or the plate things on the front fender in India....

Sure glad we don't have those here....

I remember the days of the big license plate thing on the front fender in the UK...
I’ve seen bikers here on NZ roads running around with no plate at all… they don’t stop for cops unless it’s a road block or the cop runs them down.
Some guys use false plates using someone’s number off the same model bike, a duplicate plate.
Our licensing fees are close to $600 a year and some guys take exception to that lmao.

Losing clicks on the adjusters is caused by incorrect measurements on the damping rod upper threads
We discussed all that before the job and the mechanics were well aware of the setup having worked on multiple Busas' before. I'll just have to take their word for it that the internals had been altered with new valving. Bike rides fine now, just the way I like it in fact, nice a firm but with give on the bumps. On the ride home I sought out all the rough stuff and it was sweet.

We discussed all that before the job and the mechanics were well aware of the setup having worked on multiple Busas' before. I'll just have to take their word for it that the internals had been altered with new valving. Bike rides fine now, just the way I like it in fact, nice a firm but with give on the bumps. On the ride home I sought out all the rough stuff and it was sweet.
Well, it’s good you’re happy with the result.

Went for a group ride with the ‘ Ulysees’ Riders … social group of old farts from all walks of life that love riding motorcycles.
Every Wednesday morning the group of about 30 retired old farts leave from the Honda dealership in CHCH and ride for a couple hours to a nice spot and have some fellowship between old farts.
Here’s where we went today… into the mountains with 17degC and snow capped peaks.
Was a great day In paradise!

F0701348-6AE0-4CA3-95CB-12BD95531427.jpeg

2E9423FA-849F-4A57-91D5-962D8C894818.jpeg

CA8F441A-C37C-4832-A1E5-32B5553F19EB.jpeg

F401DF68-E277-4DA2-A6D7-0566E5E81405.jpeg

Went for a group ride with the ‘ Ulysees’ Riders … social group of old farts from all walks of life that love riding motorcycles.
Every Wednesday morning the group of about 30 retired old farts leave from the Honda dealership in CHCH and ride for a couple hours to a nice spot and have some fellowship between old farts.
Here’s where we went today… into the mountains with 17degC and snow capped peaks.
Was a great day In paradise!

View attachment 1686928

View attachment 1686929

View attachment 1686930

View attachment 1686931

Wow, beautiful scenery...and I even have an old fart motorcycle like that...
lol

Back