My Beloved O-Ren Has An Issue...

(Spudley @ May 27 2007,14:49) The air sensors, and not in this case an o2 sensor, tell the ecu to make the micro adjustments. The coolant temp sensor tells it to make the macro adjustments that keep the stoichiometric balance, in balance. I'd just like to see Bill get this sorted out so he can use one remaining day. Remember, it wouldn't spin to infinity, or where ever float is, if it was a tooth off, you'd notice something, or have hurt something by now. If the TPS is signaling closed at closed-idle position then fine, but I'd still check the continuity of the switch. Just because it "clicks" when you barely move the throttle linkage, doesn't mean contact is being made. The ecu needs that contact to know it can step down another step on the map. Sensor, internal, contacts get worn and loose with a lot of plugging and unplugging.

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the fundamental rebuilding of components. You're flowing fuel, by the looks of the plugs, it's loading up at idle. Now what is telling it to load up at idle . Injector pulse ?, is controlled by ?, and what tells ?, how much to keep the injectors open ?. You've validated vacuum, everywhere .....check all the hoses including the ones that aren't hooked to the throttles.......you've validated that you're getting enough fuel.........enough to foul the plugs, and feed the motor's needs at high rpms, that's enough, or it would cough and spit, so without metering the fuel pressure we're assuming it's good.

I'm narrowing it down, in theory of course, as the coolant temp sensor gets warm it varies, much like an o2 sensor in temperature, and gives off different amounts of resistance, or voltage depending on sensor. It is directly connected to the ecu which is sending the pulse signals to the FI. Validate coolant temp sensor in a pan of hot water with the specs already given. Confirm continuity from coolant temp connector to ecu entry or pin connector. Do the same with TPS and wiring connectors.

One or the other, IMO, you got spark (plenty), you're getting fuel (too much w/ throttles closed), no vacuum leaks (I'm trusting you), motor's statically right, so that's what you've got. Bill, you gotta move closer so I can swing by and cut your tear down, build back time in half.....ya know I'm checking continuity for TPS function while you're boiling a sensor and checking resistances......that sort of stuff. Somethin's loading your plugs up. "That's all". Now get out there SUPERWRENCH and solve this mystery so I ain't thinking about your motor while I'm watching Shrek tonight at the movies........... GET BUSY BRAH !!!!
Thanks Spudly! I wish ya lived closer too..enjoy shrek tonight...i'll be alright one way or the other...our local HD dealership is having a memorial day special...ther're giving away a free enclosed HD bike trailer with every new bike purchased..already talked to a salesman about trading ORen in on a new black flamed out Deuce.

next lifetime maybe!

Last edited by a moderator:
First clue >> it ran fine before i set the valves......34 years of working on cars and bikes for a living has taught me this >>> You work on it and a new problem pops up ...GO back to the last thing you did!!!!
wink.gif

(Ride_or_Fish @ May 28 2007,07:39) Is CR8E the stock heat range?
there's three to choose from and the CR8E is "hot" but i believe is stock as well.

(1300hemibusa @ May 28 2007,07:43) First clue >> it ran fine before i set the valves......34 years of working on cars and bikes for a living has taught me this >>> You work on it and  a new  problem pops up ...GO back to the last thing you did!!!!
wink.gif
okay...lets walk through this one more time...

1. She ran and idled great after I the valve adjust.

2. She didn't start loading and fouling plugs until AFTER the main fuel line blew off (while i was riding it)..."then"...after re-attaching my fuel line and putting it all back together?..."after" i did that is when this loads up/flouls plugs irratic stalls "stuff" started happening.

But she ran and idled "fine" after the valve adjust...after the fuel line blew off is when "this" problem started.

and whatever it is?...boy is it piss'in me off!
laugh.gif

What map are you running in the bike now? You had a post a little while back that you were playing around with the map. If you have the map that Wheelers, made for you go back to is and see if that helps!

(GIXERHP @ May 28 2007,08:43) What map are you running in the bike now? You had a post a little while back that you were playing around with the map. If you have the map that Wheelers, made for you go back to is and see if that helps!
Already did that...matter fact?..member Dakkine brought his laptop over and we ran through and downloaded several "known good" maps....it ain't the map.

At this point?...I've already replaced old vac lines and disconnected both my pc and atre....took the bike back down to "Stock" with just the full akro exhaust and the fugger still does it..so..i'm thinking i may have pushed some fuel/vac related "SENSOR" beyond limits when i blew that fuel line while riding under load..i even wonder if it's possible that i might have blown the diaphram in the vac damper (the little round cannister)...but the good news is this..

I just got off the phone with member Dakkine..he's arriving tomorrow with the ecu from his bike and some sensors to begin a process of elimination on ORen.

My mind keeps drifting back to the cam R&R but i just can't buy it as the bikes throttle response anywhere above idle is instantaneous..damn near "psychic"... all the way to redline...even when she's fully warmed up and idling like shid..she'll even bang out low rev triple taps one after another...but idle when warm?...fuggeddaboudit....ain't happening..for some yet unknown to me reason.
sad.gif

Got any ideas John?
rock.gif
I'm also looking hard towards coolant temp sensor.

T.I.A. & L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(JINKSTER @ May 28 2007,12:11)
(GIXERHP @ May 28 2007,08:43) What map are you running in the bike now? You had a post a little while back that you were playing around with the map. If you have the map that Wheelers, made for you go back to is and see if that helps!
Already did that...matter fact?..member Dakkine brought his laptop over and we ran through and downloaded several "known good" maps....it ain't the map.

At this point?...I've already replaced old vac lines and disconnected both my pc and atre....took the bike back down to "Stock" with just the full akro exhaust and the fugger still does it..so..i'm thinking i may have pushed some fuel/vac related "SENSOR" beyond limits when i blew that fuel line while riding under load..i even wonder if it's possible that i might have blown the diaphram in the vac damper (the little round cannister)...but the good news is this..

I just got off the phone with member Dakkine..he's arriving tomorrow with the ecu from his bike and some sensors to begin a process of elimination on ORen.

My mind keeps drifting back to the cam R&R but i just can't buy it as the bikes throttle response anywhere above idle is instantaneous..damn near "psychic"... all the way to redline...even when she's fully warmed up and idling like shid..she'll even bang out low rev triple taps one after another...but idle when warm?...fuggeddaboudit....ain't happening..for some yet unknown to me reason.  
sad.gif

Got any ideas John?
rock.gif
I'm also looking hard towards coolant temp sensor.

T.I.A. & L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
By the look of the plugs, your really rich, if you have a Dyno nearby you might want to get them to sniff it. Your Air fuel ratio should be 13.2!

(GIXERHP @ May 28 2007,12:02)
(JINKSTER @ May 28 2007,12:11)

Got any ideas John? I'm also looking hard towards coolant temp sensor.

T.I.A. & L8R, Bill.
By the look of the plugs, your really rich, if you have a Dyno nearby you might want to get them to sniff it. Your Air fuel ratio should be 13.2!
i just had it dyno sniffed at "Wheelers Performance" back at the last fall bash...

AF Readout...

DYNOAF.jpg

13 runs but only addressed the 100% wof position i believe...which is currently running dandy..hot or cold...it sux...bike runs and revs fantastic everywhere except idle when warmed up..and the idles so shiddy it'll stall out at anything under 1500rpms when fully warmed up yet....she'll still rev up to redline in a snap even when hot...just won't idle fer shid.

I'm also noticing that the cooling fan is coming on almost as soon as the engine reaches temp..she never used to do that before...at least not so soon and freely..so?..i just finished up draining the old coolant, flushing the entire cooling system with fresh water..i even drained, dismounted and rinsed out the plastic coolant resivoir...removed and wiped off the thermostat....(which btw doesn't require a 24mm wrench and can be removed with a 12 point 15/16ths box end..it's a tight fit but i like that) and burp fed some fresh purple "engine ice" in'er....and i'm not certain but is there a possibility that the thermostat isn't opening up and the coolant in the engine where the ect sensor is heat'in up and the ect is sending elevated temp info to the ecu which is in turn dumping more fuel in?..I dunno.
laugh.gif
But it sure seems like it's taking a lot of effort to get the coolant level to rise back up in the resivoir...i'm still massaging, burping and attempting to add but the rads full and the resi is still low..wayy low...even after running up to temp...odd. Maybe it is the thermostat not opening up eh?

L8R, Bill.

rock.gif

cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
(JINKSTER @ May 28 2007,11:15)
(1300hemibusa @ May 28 2007,07:43) First clue >> it ran fine before i set the valves......34 years of working on cars and bikes for a living has taught me this >>> You work on it and  a new  problem pops up ...GO back to the last thing you did!!!!
wink.gif

2. She didn't start loading and fouling plugs until AFTER the main fuel line blew off (while i was riding it)..."then"...after re-attaching my fuel line and putting it all back together?..."after" i did that is when this loads up/flouls plugs irratic stalls "stuff" started happening.

But she ran and idled "fine" after the valve adjust...after the fuel line blew off is when "this" problem started.

laugh.gif
Cam timing would cause a problem all of the time and not just when warmed up , so i think you are fine there... But if you have your valves lashed to tight as the motor warms up it can hang the valves slightly off seat .... Now you have Lower compression and same amount of fuel and you having plugs that look like yours do..I know you said this problem started AFTER a fuel line came off But are you dead sure about that ?? Sensors and ECU do go bad but not that offen.. I never asked this > do you have a P/C? if so did you check the ground ? Biggest problem with a P/C is the ground .. and will act up just like your bike ...Sorry just trying to help ...

(1300hemibusa @ May 28 2007,13:43)
wink.gif

laugh.gif
Cam timing would cause a problem all of the time and not just when warmed up , so i think you are fine there...  But if you have your valves lashed to tight as the motor warms up it can hang the valves slightly off seat .... Now you have Lower compression and same amount of fuel and you having plugs that look like yours do..I know you said this problem started AFTER a fuel line came off  But are you dead sure about that ?? Sensors and ECU do go bad but not that  offen.. I never asked this > do you have a P/C?   if so did you check the ground ? Biggest problem with a P/C is  the ground .. and will act up just like your bike ...Sorry just trying to help ...
uhmmm...i adjusted exactly (1) valve...by a whopping .0015"

I have a PC but currently?..i've disconnected both my PC and my GIPro atre...so basically?...what i'm dealing with here now is a bone stock config busa w/ a full akra exhaust...if anything?...she should be running fairly lean down low.

(JINKSTER @ May 28 2007,16:49)
wink.gif

laugh.gif
Cam timing would cause a problem all of the time and not just when warmed up , so i think you are fine there...  But if you have your valves lashed to tight as the motor warms up it can hang the valves slightly off seat .... Now you have Lower compression and same amount of fuel and you having plugs that look like yours do..I know you said this problem started AFTER a fuel line came off  But are you dead sure about that ?? Sensors and ECU do go bad but not that  offen.. I never asked this > do you have a P/C?   if so did you check the ground ? Biggest problem with a P/C is  the ground .. and will act up just like your bike ...Sorry just trying to help ...

I have a PC but currently?..i've disconnected both my PC and my GIPro atre...so basically?...what i'm dealing with here now is a bone stock config busa w/ a full akra exhaust...if anything?...she should be running fairly lean down low.
Well i guess your down to getting a meter and checking the out put of your sensors. I guess the ECU could be bad but most times when the go they GO and will not even start..I wish i could help more but without hearing ,touching, seeing it and smelling it i have no clue...Funny that no codes have popped up...All i can say is double check everthing you touched....It could be something small and easy to over look...I know you are upset as i would be , best to leave it overnight and get some sleep ...Look at it the next day with a fresh set of eyes...

(1300hemibusa @ May 28 2007,14:07)
wink.gif

laugh.gif

Well i guess your down to getting a meter and checking the out put of your sensors. I guess the ECU could be bad but most times when the go they GO  and will not even start..I wish i could help more but without  hearing ,touching, seeing it and smelling it i have no clue...Funny that no codes have popped up...All i can say is double check everthing you touched....It could be something small and easy to over look...I know you are upset as i would be , best to leave it overnight and get some sleep ...Look at it the next day with a fresh set of eyes...
"No Codes" simply means that's there's no open circuts to the sensors and that the sensors are..."online & reporting"...but it doesn't mean they are reporting accuratly or funtioning within the correct parameters hence?...you could still have "No Codes" situation but that doesn't dictate that any one of the many sensors are all functioning as intended...for instance...i got to thinking that it could be something as simple as a small lump of grime getting wiped into the nipple of the atmospheric pressure sensor and blocking off or backing up true atmospheric presure.

If nothing else?...this exercise/experience is teaching me all the many little things that CAN go wrong with FI related electronics, sensors and vac lines...which at time like this?..can make me yearn for my old CV Carbed Bikes back!
laugh.gif
I know my way around CV's and trust me...this shid wouldn't be happening to me on any of my old cv carbed bikes...but i guess it's way past time that this old dog learned new trix!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

So it didn't start happening until after the main fuel line blew off. Ok. Was the bike up to temp when that happened?

(mrscottchurch @ May 28 2007,15:25)
wink.gif

laugh.gif

So it didn't start happening until after the main fuel line blew off. Ok. Was the bike up to temp when that happened?
real close but...probably not...i happened right up the end of my 1/4 mile long street.

Man the Jinkster stumped! I'm crushed! Hey could it B a fuel return thing! Eng uses it fine @ hi revs but has too much at idle. What hose blew off? Other than that did you do alot of shims? You know where this is going and you don't want to hear it!!!

Untitled.jpg

Make sure you have sufficient vacuum at the fuel regulator and the IAP senser[like a map sensor].Pull the vacuum line off the regulator,crank engine,if fuel comes out regulator it's junked.If the regulator does not regulate fuel pressure,pressure is waaaay too high for the injectors to handle and will push too much fuel into the engine.Seen this in the auto repair business,but that doesn't matter cause the busa's fuel system is no differant,just has 2 wheels instead of 4.Also the IAP[map]sensor can cause the same problem.These 2 items have to have good vacuum at idle.
Not saying that's it,but needs checked.

Back